A few weeks back, I ran into my friend Andre ’08 on the T (that is, the Boston subway). Andre, who is on campus this summer working on the MIT iGEM team, was on his way to eat with some friends at a new (for him) restaurant. Summer is a time where students find even more time to explore Boston and try yummy restaurants. Inspired by my conversation with Andre, here is a good summer list of restaurants for students (and campus visitors!) to try. They’re many of my favorite places!
- Cafe Baraka: A wonderful, hole-in-the-wall Tunisian restaurant. Tell Chef Alia I said hello =)
80 1/2 Pearl St.
T: Red Line to Central Square
- Punjabi Dhaba: Probably the best, cheapest, and most authentic Indian food in all of Boston.
225 Hampshire St
T: Red Line to Central Square; #83 or #91 bus
- Addis Red Sea: Great Ethiopian food and an excuse to eat with your hands.
544 Tremont St.
T: Orange Line to Back Bay
- Redbones: Among the better barbecue/Southern food in Boston, with a lot of culture and attitude.
55 Chester St
T: Red line to Davis Square
- Johnny D’s: Great jazz brunches on the weekends, and half-price (cheap!) dinners before 6pm on weekdays.
17 Holland St
T: Red Line to Davis Square
- Trident Cafe: This bookstore cafe on trendy Newbury Street has all-day breakfast and lots of vegetarian, vegan, and other healthy options.
338 Newbury Street
T: #1 bus to Hynes
- Fugakyu: One of many great sushi places in the Boston area, and a great excuse to visit the very cool Coolidge Corner neighborhood.
1280 Beacon St
T: Green Line C train to Coolidge Corner
- Rubin’s Kosher: Yummy Kosher deli/restaurant. It really hits the spot.
500 Harvard Street
T: Green Line B train to Harvard Ave
- Flour Bakery & Cafe: Yummy pastries, but also great brunch & dinner. The best of its kind around.
1595 Washington St
T: #1 bus to Washington Street
- The Helmand: Delicious Afghani food. Don’t miss the Kaddo (pumpkin), it’s to die for.
143 1st St
T: CambridgeSide Galleria shuttle
- Taiwan Cafe: One of many great places in Chinatown. I love their soup dumplings.
34 Oxford St
T: Red Line to Downtown Crossing or South Station
(Feel free to leave other recommendations in the comments)