Tattoo ideas by Matt McGann '00

No, I'm not getting a tattoo. But I do need your tattoo advice.

No, I’m not getting a tattoo. But I do need your tattoo advice.

As a cheap yet fun giveaway, we are considering temporary tattoos. They would be small — say, 2 inches square.

What I need are your ideas for a temporary tattoo, from MIT, that you would find fun/funny/interesting/amusing/cool/awesome.

Here are a few ideas to stir the imagination:

What are your ideas? What would you like to see?

57 responses to “Tattoo ideas”

1. Alex '13 says:

I personally would enjoy wearing Alfred Nobel on my arm for several days, so I vote number 5

2. Bahar '13 says:

I like the first one because it is so recognizable. I’m also a fan of the cards…Blackjack in particular. smile

The first one!

4. Juan says:

How about a brass rat?

Otherwise, the chocolate (or whatever it was) formula thing you sent to early applicants as a postcard.

5. Lin² says:

I like the stealthy beaver.

6. Chris m. says:

It’s all about the cards, so subtle, but so cool!

I think complex equations will rub off really quickly, defeating the purpose.

I’m more in favor of a broad design without little details so people can 1) glance at it quickly and get the idea, and 2) not have details falling off after one shower or rub off.

8. Clara says:

The letters MIT imprinted on a picture of our
    circular Earth.
    (Afterall, MIT does impact our world!.)

9. Ahana says:

<a>My Idea</a>

I made it long back, so I guess now it’s time to use it! ^_^

10. Bridger '13 says:

I like the first logo too.

11. Reena says:

Can I e-mail you one? :D

blackjack all the way
    though maybe more animated so it doesn’t look so boring

13. Shosh '13 says:

Much as taylor explansions and the binomial formula are fun, go with the classic MIT logo (it’s recognizable, simple, and won’t wear off), and the Nobel medal (who wouldn’t want an Alfred for their arm?)

Personally, I would love to wear the first one on my forehead for a day or so.

biohazard sign!

MIT (first one) or Engineers (fifth)!!!

Either the logo or a brass rat, I think.

18. niki says:

Are you only doing one design?

Because the first one or the Engineers logo would be best just because of brand recognition, but I’m partial to more subtle ones (like the equation-based version of the initials.)

(“One in each box of cereal! Collect all four and win…a sense of satisfaction)!)

19. Muah, <3. says:

I like MIT Engineers =)

20. Reena says:

Or you could use the mens et manus. Or one of the domes. (And the classic first one is cool too).

21. Sheila ('13) says:

heck, I would pick and wear all of them! but i guess the logo and beaver ones. :D

22. Anna says:

I personally like the first one of the MIT logo and the Engineers logo. What about easily recognizable hacks?

a friend showed me an MIT t-shirt that had this on it:

(E/c^2)(sqrt(-1))(PV/nR)

it totally made my life – well it like, looked nicer because it actually had math symbols that I can’t type. but i’d want one of those.

incorporate mit into the cards as if it was a homepage

25. Narce says:

@next-to-last anon:

I have one of that shirt. You can get it from the coop for, well, not inordinately expensive ^.^

MIT spelled out in equations!

Definite no for the DNA one. It’s not even topologically correct! :((((((((((

28. Claire '13 says:

@ Anonymous: It’s not tempting fate to get a shirt, I got a sweatshirt the summer before senior year and still got in early, haha.

Binomial Theorem FTW!!!

@ Narce – i’m totally getting that shirt when I visit this summer. I hope it’s not tempting fate to buy an MIT shirt before I apply… :3 oh well.

31. JB '13 says:

I am a fan of the Dome design for the maroon hacking shirt I bought while @ CPW with the acronym IHTFP as the pillars.

32. Ruhban Shah says:

How about the Great Dome

How about the other Engineers logo? The one where we just see the beaver’s face….

My votes are 1 and 5 though. Although equations are awesome, several have made good points about the fact they will easily rub off and become indistinguishable.

i think you should get that one tat!

35. Emily L. '13 says:

It’s so weird that’s I’ve actually met some of you IRL. Haha. :-D

Anyway, maybe I’m a simpleton, but I like the logo. Maybe the Nobel one, but I personally wouldn’t vote for the engineer one even though it’s cute simply because I’m a prospective Course 9- or 7-er. :-D

36. A-K says:

Maybe the same cards design, but instead of two card put three, each with the letters “M” “I” “T”

Matt, when are you going to publish the Class of 2013 profile.

37. divya says:

3rd one!
    so cute

@ Anon Ymous
    Uh, doesn’t that say M -1/2 T?

first or last one

40. I like the first one. It’s easily recognizable and simple enough to be practical as a temporary tattoo. :D

Also, it would be cool to have a stylized icon of a famous hack, like the Dome with a CP car on it or a water fountain with a fire hose.

41. Anon Ymous says:

This is a more obscure version of a shirt you guys already have: E/C^2 e^(pi*i)/2 PV/nR

42. Anon Ymous says:

43. Today, I recommend myself.I have a strong interest in physics,I am confident I have special talents in physics.Of course, I have done in other subjects of general.I think imagination is more important than scores.The famous director Steven Spielberg’s test scores was also low.Einstein’s integrated test scores was also low.But they are excellent figures.Because they are interested in doing their own thing.
    I do not know whether or not the courage to take risks,If you take a risk,If you admit me,And let me for some time in the MIT study.You will find so special about me.You will find me in the physical and mechanical advantages.

A lot to say but I do not have time.

If you need a special talent, please choose me.

I think that is a contribution to physics.

44. nakul says:

how about the pink floyd PRISM??

Please choose something sexier than the MIT logo!

46. arjo says:

the beaver has all that you want. plus it has MIT written on it, which means, you are actually a lot more cooler than we think. but to keep it really simple , you can swear by the first one.

47. EY says:

how about MiTool (pronounced “me too” or “my tool”)?

48. Jade says:

I will be graduating from High school in June 2009. I am interesting in Aerospace Engineering. Beside Maths, Physics, Chem., what other subjects would I need to qualify for entry at MIT? Is there an age limit? I am 16. Thank you.

@ Jade – (since Matt probably isn’t reading this anymnore)
    There’s no age limit, you’re in luck!
    You’ll find more information here.

50. santiago says:

anything more unique?

51. Kuljot says:

Alfred Nobel!
    or the first one (I would totally get that on my forehead)