The Coin Is Found! by Matt McGann '00

The Mystery Hunt ends after 36 hours.

Sunday, 12:31 AM: The coin was found by The Evil Midnight Bombers What Bomb at Midnight in a refridgerator in the basement of E18.

It was a great 36 hours of hunting! I’ll post some fun puzzles in my next entry. Thanks to Random / S.P.I.E.S. for running another terrific Mystery Hunt!

“The Evil Midnight Bombers What Bomb at Midnight” is the team captained by my friend Dan ’03. Way to go!

Dan ’03 of The Evil Midnight Bombers What Bomb at Midnight.

15 responses to “The Coin Is Found!”

1. The Dan says:

Ugh, that’s a horrible picture of me. smile Oh, and for the record, Jenn Braun and I are co-captains.

See you at the wrap-up!

2. Victoria says:

That’s not bad.

3. It was indeed a pretty good 36 hours. I just sort of wish it had been longer.

borski.

4. shikhar says:

cant wait for the puzzles on the blog…

5. U3 says:

Shikhar, “taking a gap year if not MIT’ is confirmed.” Join the club dude.

6. Bryan says:

oo, I participated through the internet. Most of the problems I had no idea how to do or where to start. I was of some use on a problem where there were thumbnails of photos and full pictures. The thumbnails and full pictures were actually slightly different. I used MATLAB to subtract the matrix files to find the number of items that were changed. Maybe someday I will get to be in the heart of the action instead of helping from 1500 miles away.

7. Bryan says:

8. joe says:

So the consensus that if nothing has yet appeared on the processing page, you shouldn’t worry still stands?

9. joe says:

I’m referring to Part II and school report/recommendations, which was all mailed in one envelope.

10. Hi Matt,

How are you? you seem to be having a great time at MIT. However, you may still be very busy with the application process, so I just have a quick question: Is it possible to send some photographs as Supplemental Information?

In question 13 of Part 2 of the Application, I wrote about a personal invention, but I could not send anything by the website so I would like to share with you some pictures of it!…..or maybe it’s too late

Best regards,

Juan Jhong Chung

11. Varuna says:

Sir,

I sat for the TOEFL on January 14th. The test got cancelled due to some problem with the cassette. I sent an e-mail to the MIT admission office explaining what happened.

I expected to get a good score for the TOEFL.. I will take the SAT I on January 28th, but my SAT I score (critical reading and writing) is likely to be lower than what I expected for TOEFL.

How will MIT consider this? Please tell me if there is anything I could do, because my entire future depends on this.

Thank you very much

12. Phil says:

Joe,

I hope so. I sent everything personally except one teacher rec–that teacher insisted on mailing it himself. His rec still hasn’t appeared, and my December ACT scores still haven’t appeared. But I’m sure that the “don’t worry about it yet” response will stand until the end of January.

13. Hey Matt!

I was getting a bit worried, as all my application parts have been processed, except my TOEFL scores. I had called the toefl office about 3 weeks ago, asking them to send it to MIT, and they said it’d take about “4-5 working days”, but it still hasnt appeared on the tracking portlet. How does MIT receive TOEFL scores, electronically or by paper?

Thanks

Prashant

14. Anna says:

Dear Matt,

I just wanted to ask how applicants who used the paper application can track their application status? I’m from Lahore, Pakistan and the mailing system is not very reliable – I just want to make sure that all my materials have arrived safely.

Please tell me all the required steps I need to take to do so.

Thanks!

15. Dear Matt,

I am an international applicant and I have mediocre CR and Wr scores on the SAT 1. I have attented a Greek public (government) school in Cyprus teaching us English only 1 1/2 hours a week. Will this be taken into account when reviewing my app? When scores are sent from the college board to MIT are the percentiles and actual raw marks shown?

Thanks!