Tour of Town by Cambridge

Cambridge: university and city.

Like MIT, Cambridge also gets its share of tourists and visitors. I must say though, Cambridge actually has pretty places to take pictures of. After reading Chris’ entry about Taiwan, I realized that there hasn’t been too many pictures of the Cambridge as an actual town in this blog. So I figured I would take some pictures of places that are important to life here in Cambridge. Even though it is the middle of winter, you can see the place is actually still pretty green and pretty. Well, the first picture was taken in the fall, courtesy of Olay ’09, another CME student.

For readers who are in Cambridge or are familiar with the campus/city, please let me know if I missed anything and I will post more pictures. Hope I got the shade of blue right!

12 responses to “Tour of Town”

1. job '12 says:

ZOMG!! I studied over the summer in cambridge a few years ago, seeing these pictures is like ZOMG!! I studied over the summer in cambridge a few years ago, seeing these pictures is like <3! I miss it so much! It was so pretty. I went to the marketplace and bought a container of raspberries every day…the lady must have thought i was insane. totally stood in line at midnight for harry potter too, so i was getting the book a few hours ahead of my friends in america. must go back!

2. job '12 says:

(hey, they cut me off!) anyways, seeing these pictures is amazing, brings me back to that summer. I bought raspberries every day at the market and stood in line at midnight for harry potter (hey, they cut me off!) anyways, seeing these pictures is amazing, brings me back to that summer. I bought raspberries every day at the market and stood in line at midnight for harry potter <3. I MUST go back. punting = amazing.

Ooo, have you been to the British Museum Reading Room? The place looks amazing — though i don’t know if you’re allowed to go anymore without special permission. Someday…

Thanks for the pictures!

4. Fred says:

I was told that in prior years, CME participants received a stipend that allowed for travel and other associated costs. But this year (2008),
    no stipend will be provided.

I was wondering if you can tell me how much a stipend (including what associated costs?) was provided by MIT for CME participants before.
    This stipend change may seriously affect the interests of CME applicants! I wonder why MIT makes this change all of a sudden without
    reasons and earlier notice!

i i <3 cambridge.

i can’t wait to come && stay.

What are your favorite things to do at Cambridge in school and outside school?

7. Vicky says:

I think we should get some photos of Mass Ave/Harvard Square SQUARE area up. Or near the ART on Arrow st. All that fun stuff.

8. Shruthi says:

Its really beautiful smile

9. Masud says:

Is it me or does this layout and captioning of the pictures seem pseudo-travel brochure-ish? Lols well I guess it was intended to be that way so as to encourage MITians to become CME students…Cool pix BtW

Great post, thanks for the pictures! I love the Boston-Cambridge area; but Cambridge, England, seems like such a beautiful city!

11. Lucy says:

There is currently a stipend to cover the extra travel costs. This exchange was started by the Cambridge-MIT Institute (CMI) http://www.cambridge-mit.org/ and they (along with other organizations) have been funding the exchange. This is the last year that CMI will fund the program. However, I was told that this program has become a part of MIT’s budget (which means definite money) and the program coordinators on both sides have been trying to get money from various other sources. I don’t know anything about stipends for next year’s students but both universities want this program to continue. So if you have financial concerns, you should definitely contact the program coordinator and not let finances stop you from applying.