Transfer Wrap-Up 2008 by Matt McGann '00

Looking back at MIT Transfer Admissions for entry this coming year.

We frequently get requests to blog about transfer admissions, and now, the conclusion of our transfer admissions cycle, seems as good a time as any to do so.

The numbers for this year look remarkably like they did the past few years:

Applicants: nearly 300
Admits: high teens
Admit rate: 6%

Exact numbers: this year, we received 288 applications, admitting 16, with 14 enrolling in the fall.

This season’s admits are a diverse lot. There are international and domestic students representing 8 countries and four continents. The students come from top schools in applicant home countries, domestic public universities and military academies; four year universities and two year junior/community colleges.

There were a lot of great students we weren’t able to admit. It’s true that MIT admission is tough; with a 6% admit rate, it’s especially true for transfer admission. I’m sure that among this group of students we weren’t able to admit there are many students who will get into graduate school at MIT.

Transfer admission is a small program at MIT. Transfer students, though, are a vital part of the MIT community. Among other things, transfers have become varsity athletes, Putnam Fellows, student government officers, Phi Beta Kappa inductees, admissions interns, and more.

Thanks go out to Emily, who many of you interacted with during the transfer admissions process. She did a great job in helping many students with their questions and facilitating things for the transfer admissions committee.

Congrats, transfer admits!

21 responses to “Transfer Wrap-Up 2008”

1. Aditya says:

Heh. First.

BTW, transfer acceptance percentage is higher than the freshman admit rate!!
    Omg.

2. Aditya says:

Sorry, I meant international admit rate.

Hey, speaking of the conclusion of an admissions cycle…waitlist? News? Anything? Please?

Yea, is there going to be a “Waitlist Wrap-Up 2008” anytime soon?????

Yeah…I would like news about the waitlist too. smile

Actually, yeah, I keep getting e-mails about it, what’s up with the waitlist?

7. lulu says:

dude doesn’t the waitlist always go this far into the summer? like every year?

8. Hey Matt, Thanks A LOT for this post. It’s always good knowing there’s a chance, lol no matter how small it may be. I also appreciated this, “The students come from top schools in applicant home countries, domestic public universities and military academies; four year universities and two year junior/community colleges.” Getting the stats along with this description was just awesome. Once again, thanks Matt.

9. Piper says:

Well, I wouldn’t advise giving up an MIT education over $20 =P.

10. Steph says:

Thank you for posting the transfer admission numbers. I’ve been wondering how many people applied and how many were accepted.

11. Helen '15 says:

“Transfer acceptance percentage is higher than the international freshman acceptance rate.”
    So if I don’t get into the ’15 class as a freshman, I have a higher chance of being transferred?
    (I’m from Australia)
    Gives me a bit of hope. raspberry

12. NA says:

Wahooooo! Transfer students rock!
    -mit transfer student

When can we expect to see the full statistics for the class of 2012?

14. mohit says:

welcome back, matt!! long time no blog?!?

15. It does?

Airplane tickets are getting more expensive, and I can’t afford to wait for the MIT Waitlist. =/ If MIT doesn’t tell me in a few days… then, I can’t accept them (hoping they’ll accept me). Gas prices for airplanes have already risen 20 dollars since the time I could’ve bought them. =(

16. Aditya says:

Helen ’15, it’s true. The numbers don’t lie. O_O

17. Utk says:

Does one have to be studying in one’s home country to be able to apply for transfer to MIT apart in addition to other rules????

18. Dennis says:

I am a student at a collage called UCTI and am planning to transfer to MIT. Would my university be classified as an accredited college on your part if i would like to transfer to MIT?

19. kk says:

Can an international student studying on financial aid in the US apply for transfer to MIT?