MIT student blogger Lydia K. '14, MEng '16

Classes! REX! Politics! Science! (Vlog and a Riddle) by Lydia K. '14, MEng '16

You have 2012 jars of 1-kg mollusks, with 2012 1-kg mollusks in each jar....

Hello Friends!

I am back with my biweekly vlog update, quite late because I am lazy have been preoccupied with my schedule. I’ve been wonderful! Classes have started! REX happened! Politics is happening! Blogging is happening! Science is happening! And I decided not to twitter anymore because I’m not at my laptop enough. Isn’t that astonishing?

Here is a riddle for today:

You have 2012 jars of 1-kg mollusks, with 2012 1-kg mollusks in each jar. The local dumpster cat gang has raided one jar, leaving 2012 0.3-kg resealed mollusk shells in that jar. You need to figure out which jar they raided before you take the mollusks to market. Your evil neighbor, a competing mollusk hunter who owns the dock’s only mollusk scale, insists that you can identify the lighter jar by performing only one measurement, and refuses to let you use his scale more than once. How can you identify the jar of empty mollusk shells by performing only one measurement on your neighbor’s scale? Hint: while you cannot open the mollusks, you may open the jars and you may remove mollusks from the jars.

For extra credit, solve last time‘s riddle:

кошка
кошка
+ кошка
собака

There are two solutions. The meaning of the words is irrelevant. Don’t let the cyrillic stop you.

Have a wonderful day!  =)