MIT student blogger Jess K. '10

Who’s that new kid? by Jess K. '10

ANOTHER one?? Are you KIDDING me?! She doesn't even fit on the page!

Is this thing on? Um, okay.

Some of you are probably like me and come from one of those families where you are the only one who knows how to turn on the computer, change the height of your mom’s office chair*, or tie your shoes. So every time one of the aforementioned tasks has to be completed, they’re yelling for (at?) you. Ever since I got accepted to MIT, though, it’s gotten significantly worse. Why didn’t my mom’s favorite reality show tape last night? “ASK HER, SHE’S THE MIT STUDENT.” Photo printer is doing nothing but eating paper? “GET THE MIT STUDENT. SAVE THE TREES.” 14 x 22? “YO, MITTY GIRL.”

My name is Jess K. ’10, and I am indeed an MIT student. (Eight months after receiving the tube, I still don’t really believe it. So if you ask me right now what 14 x 22 is, I’ll tell you it’s the dimensions of a half-sheet cake; I’m just a girl working in a bakery.) I’ve lived in California all my life, where it’s okay that I wear t-shirts and flip flops in December. When it gets below 60 degrees here, we cry. So not only do I have to wrap my head around this whole thing of going to College, capital C, I have to wrap my body in something other than breathable cotton.

Despite always living in the same place, I don’t stay there for long. I spent half of my last summer in high school studying abroad in Japan and the other researching marine protected areas in South Caicos. Three years before that, all over Europe; this summer, South Korea and the Philippines. Come fall, Cambridge.

I’m no Anthony ’09 and it’ll take me a little longer to jot down my life story, so here I am in a nutshell: I’m eighteen, am a destroyer of Sudoku puzzles, and live for double entendres and free food. I know all the words to “One Week” by the Barenaked Ladies and I make the best blueberry waffles of your life. I am a writer, a reader, an artist, a dreamer, a pianist, a singer, a drummer, a swimmer, a pacifist, an atheist, a humanitarian, a vegetarian (my parents protest this, insisting “I’m still growing”, which would be nice if it were true, as I’m only 5’4″), a human rights activist, an environmentalist, a web designer, a graphics designer, a filmmaker, a scuba diver, a hopeless romantic, a generally crazy but somewhat interesting kid with her own sense of style, just content on living life.

And I have very little idea what my future holds.

I do fully invite and embrace questions. Any and all. But I do have one for you – I’m temped in this blog until the new site launches September 5th, which means you guys get to help me think of a name for my real blog. (I named my old one “Cafe J” when I was 14, which is pretty cringe-worthy.) Any suggestions are fully appreciated, because the best I’ve got is “Mitra’s Blog” (copyright Colin ’10)(What? That’s TAKEN?? You’re KIDDING). And hey, if I like your name, I’ll bring you a cake.

(One that’s smaller than 14 x 22.)

* “So YOU’RE the one who keeps changing the height of my chair!” -My mom, after reading. Whoops.

35 responses to “Who’s that new kid?”

1. anothermom says:

Welcome and congratulations on being chosen as first blogger for the class of 2010. Nice first post and I look forward to reading your entries. Has the class of 2010 decided on what they want to be called? Hopefully not MITtens. Good luck with the blogging and choosing a name.

2. Colin says:

Oh, dear. My wife is getting up in the world already, and I never had her sign a prenup.

JKim — I think reading this post showed me again why you were the best choice for this position. There are so many times when I read something you’ve written and think, “oh, I should probably steal that line for myself,” but then I don’t because I am a philanthropist, and I like to GIVE but not to TAKE. (This is a LIE.)

Also, the fact that you linked me brings a little tear to my eye, and it’s not just because these contacts are six weeks old and I’m supposed to change them after two. Well, actually, it’s probably, you know, that. But I WAS STILL REALLY TOUCHED.

I’m so excited for you to start blogging here. This is going to be awesome. As for the name, we will obviously be in touch, and I’m sure we will have many a 3 AM (EST) conversation about it.

I LOVE YOU.

3. Colin says:

Also, on behalf of the Class of 2010, or at least the members of said class who are not fourteen-year-old girls who like to wear pink and listen to JoJo, I would like to state vehemently that “MITtens” is the worst thing that could ever happen in the world, ever, and if it proliferates as our nickname I think I will transfer to CalTech. (This is another lie, but I cannot understate the severity of the situation at hand. The awful nickname is becoming better and better known, and it pains me personally every time someone uses it.)

4. Colin says:

Oh, and just so it doesn’t come as a surprise, I’ll probably be overloading JKim’s blog with comments on a regular basis.

(I’M SORRY ABOUT THE JOJO COMMENT. I JUST REALLY HATE “MITTENS,” OKAY. I’M NOT A MEAN PERSON.)

When I was really little, I used to make up crazy rhyming posts. Most often my first line ended in the word “best” and then my second line “north, south, east, and west.” I had kind of forgotten about that until I read this post, after which I tried to think of a comment and could only think of, “Jkim is the best. In the North, South, East, and West.”

Really, what more could you want?

No. You can’t steal that for your title.

6. nehalita says:

okay…i just woke up so this is my excuse if you think my ideas are stupid.

-I’m JK (i was going to explain it but i think you get it)

oh wait did i say ideas? i meant idea. oh well.

7. nehalita says:

oh wait. i never commented.

WOW you do a lot of things! your portfolio is amazing. i was looking at them and was thinking..i want that..no that..no i like that one. good stuff

is there anything you don’t do? i still have to be scuba diving certified.

and i’m terrified of the cold as well. at least you can handle 70s. anything under 76 makes me shiver.

8. Joe says:

I like how I’m the only Southerner actually looking forward to the cold…Oh well, I don’t mind being a freak.

Nehalita’s right; that’s quite an full resume. And by full, I mean “bigger than mine.” Good luck, and have fun with your blog.

And about MITtens…Colin summed it up well. The problem is that I’m too lazy/unmotivated to come up with something better, other than MIT Xes (or M-Xs).

…Heh, have fun in Pasadena, Colin!

With frosh like us to give you comment spam, who needs anyone else?

I still haven’t thought of a good title for your blog, which proves that it wasn’t just because you first asked at 2 in the morning.

Anyway. Jess. I still say we wear shorts and flip-flops all through December as a sign of protest. Eventually the weather will change in our favor. And if it doesn’t, we can always tamper with the weather machine when no one else is looking, right?

10. nehalita says:

yea keri i’m right behind you *slips on snow boots*

RIGHT BEHIND YOU…

11. Star says:

Awesome first post!

Blog title? You may be on your own… =/

12. Daniel says:

Okay, I have come up with the best blog name in the universe for you.

You ready?

“The Best Blog in the Universe”. It’s awesome, I know. You can send that cake over anytime…

13. sharon says:

1. cant think of any names now. but will let you know the instant one pops in my head.

2. bakery! smile

3. i dont go to mit, so that makes me feel a little better when i ask what’s “mitty girl”?

4. remind me to sing you this song!!

5. you are most def the best web designer i know.

14. christie says:

OUR BABY IS GROWING UP!!!!

15. pantsmaster says:

Ideas for blog title:

1. I will cake-sell your pants off!

2. I’m not wearing pants!

3. Porpoises in pants!

4. Eat my shorts!

5. Shorts are short for pants!

Aziz – yes. I have not yet gone to MIT. smile

17. Reg says:

without even knowing you, i love you. look forward to your new blog ^__^

18. SUchi says:

“which would be nice if it were true, as I’m only 5’4″)”

yeah 2 shortys! I’m 4’11” and proud of it.

u seem awesome. it’s cuz of blogs like these tht make me wanna come to MIT.

19. geofft says:

Ouch. After reading this entry and your Xanga I feel so unqualified as a blogger to have even applied. (Congratulations, of course.)

20. Daniel says:

Woooo! Another southerner that enjoys the cold!

21. Joe says:

I’d just like to point out that the last thing Disney needs is more promotion. =D I’m more partial to Flip Flops in December.

Look forward to your blog, and to seeing you guys in a few weeks.

22. Aziz '10 says:

Hehehe…you look forward to the cold eh? Let me tell you a little story ;p I come from Kuwait and we have 120 Degree summers ALL THROUGH THE SUMMER ;p It doesn’t let up ONCE ;p So when I went to Canada for an exchange program for 2 weeks and saw what -11 Celsius does to your nose…I kinddddaaa was apprehensive of cold weather ;p Heck, I’ll probably be one of the first to run around in shorts so i should shut up now ;p

Oh and JKim…you sound like an amazing person…is there anything you haven’t done with your life? ;p I feel like my life has been boring compared to you but hey, I’m taller wink (my excuse for everything that makes me look bad ;p)

Hmm..blog names? Supercalifragilisticespialigocious ;p

Jessica Kim and the really cool blog ;p (Harry potter spoof in case u don’t read it)

If i think of anything else I’ll be sure to let you know ;p

Colin and JKim…get a room for God’s sake ;p Oh and I totally agree with the Anti-Mittens thing ;p no offense ;p MX is better but I’m sure someone will come up with something more creative ;p

23. Fernando says:

hmm blog titles…

1. Misson: JKim Possible

2. The Jess Mess

3. iBlog

4. Flip-Flops in December

5. Baking with Jess

6. (Just) Content on Living Life

(for both the “satisified” and um “information” defintions of content)

24. nehalita says:

I just listened to “one week” three times in a row thinking “why is this song sticking out in my mind” and finally realized why.

Because it’s an awesome song?

And yeah, because that one blogger girl knows all the words too.

We should sing that in the Infinite one day sometime soon. Even though it might terrify anyone who passes through. (I AM SPEAKING FOR MYSELF HERE)

26. Joe says:

You can have your “One Week.” I’m perfectly fine with my “Moskau.” Lonely, but perfectly fine.

27. Aziz '10 says:

Hey Fernando I’m gonna have to go with you on JKim Possible wink Heck of an ad. for Disney though ;p Also Flip Flops in December is cool ;p

28. Jared says:

Unofficial titles aren’t bad though, are they? wink Flip Flops in December is pretty sweet, I dig it.

By the way, as a fellow Californian, I will be the first to walk outside in a t-shirt and shorts when it’s below freezing in January, thinking I’m back home. raspberry

29. Minh says:

Love the post!

30. Colin says:

I vote JKim Possible. That is amazing.

31. Hey! Aren’t you the person in Next 402??!! smile

32. JKim says:

HEY YEAH, YOU’RE MY NEIGHBOR!!?? smile

and Fernando, I actually really like Flip Flops in December, but due to the new site’s setup I’m not going to actually have my own blog title : So this whole thing is moot. Which sucks, but not because I got to use the word moot.

33. Ha! I love Sudoku! I can run up ya in black belt any time!!! smile

Welcome to the neighborhood!

34. Melis says:

(I know this is late) but welcome to the MIT blogging net!!! Hope you have fun and love MIT!

35. Tsubasa Kato says:

I like the introduction about yourself. Full of humor and the sorts of things that might happen to me. raspberry The new site launch date is my birthday LOL ! smile

Tsubasa K.