World Cup Challenge Results by Matt McGann '00

The answers and winners of the World CUp Challenge of MIT international admissions.

The World Cup Challenge was a lot of fun! No one got a perfect score, but on the whole, people did pretty well.

Below are the results, with the name of the country in each group from which MIT received the most freshman applications this past year in bold.

Group A: Costa Rica, Ecuador, Germany, Poland

Group B: England, Paraguay, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago

Group C: Argentina, Cote d’Ivoire, Netherlands, Serbia and Montenegro

Group D: Angola, Iran, Mexico, Portugal

Group E: Czech Republic, Ghana, Italy, USA*

Group F: Australia, Brazil, Croatia, Japan

Group G: France, South Korea, Switzerland, Togo

Group H: Saudi Arabia, Spain, Tunisia, Ukraine

Congratulations to Star, errhode, S&Mer, Jared, and Jules, who all tied for the most correct, with 6. The mode was, I believe, 5, with most people clustered in the 3-5 correct range.

If the group winners faced off against each other based on most applications submitted, South Korea would defeat Mexico in the World Cup Challenge final.

Overall this year, we received nearly 2500 applications from abroad from more than 100 countries. More statistics about this year’s admissions coming soon!

6 responses to “World Cup Challenge Results”

1. Jared says:

And I was far too quick for crossing Ghana off the list. Great challenge, ’twas fun!

-Jared

2. AT says:

Hi Matt,

Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us the ‘score’ of the World Cup Challenge Final (i.e., how many applications you received from Mexico and South Korea)?

Thanks!!

3. Sanja says:

Hi Matt!

Can you tell us which countries had no applications? Where can we find all of the statistical data?

Tnx!

4. cem says:

Hi,

Yes, especially the question above is very importan for me as well. It would be good if you can give the infromtaion.

5. madmatt says:

I’ll see what kind of statistics I can provide. No promises, but I’ll post at least some numbers soon.

6. Each month lots of people visit http://www.Alcwin.org Whether it is Chemistry, geology, mathematics or a whole range of topics