MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

You can’t live without clean water by Mitra L. '07

Alfinio's sustainable water initiative

Nobody can.

We can mobilize and make this happen! Help eradicate the most prevalent and preventable problem in developing areas around the world… starting here and now:

http://www.globalgiving.com/pr/1700/proj1667a.html

In the summer of 2007, four Harvard graduates will go to Costa Rica to work with their partners in a community to eradicate the persistent and preventable problem of access to clean drinking water. They hope to create a model for global engagement for students and their partner communities across the world. Please help them take this first step. Click the link to find out more!

These are the children of the town of Jazmín, the individuals worst hit by a lack of access to safe drinking water. Worldwide, over two million children die annually from preventable and treatable water-related illnesses. Millions others remain ill for months.

The country is one of stark contrast; some of the best health and education systems in Latin America, but not reaching all of its citizens. However, it is also a promising environment with many opportunities to engage these challenges.

Despite a well-staffed clinic, with full support from FIMRC and countless international volunteers, the population still suffers from a lack of access to safe drinking water while saturating the clinic’s capacity.

The geography of the community is an important factor in addressing the challenges faced by the people of Jazmín. Here you can see houses on the hill, with the pig farm in the distant top.

The area where water collects and flows down to Jazmín is downstream of a pig farm, the root of many ailments for this and surrounding communities.

If you want to learn more about this project, visit Alfinio’s website here — thanks

——

This entry is on behalf of my Zambia tripleader Alfinio, who is working on sustainable development all over the globe. He also researches with Susan Murcott, a lecturer in MIT’s Course 1: Civil and Environmental Engineering department.

18 responses to “You can’t live without clean water”

1. bhushan says:

First Post!!!

2. gy says:

This is a great post. Community service has been a very important part of my high school life, and I am planning to take it a step further at college. Thanks for informing us about this project.

3. Ashesh says:

Wow…
    Truly, things like these should happen more!
    Keep it up…
    God bless.

4. kanika says:

good work people!!!!!!kudos…..

5. blizz says:

One thing I admire is when people can do for other people without feeling pity on them.

I know this is not relevant to this blog entry, but can anyone tell me what BTW means? I’ve been hanging out here since December, but I still have no idea what that stands for. And how about b/c (or is it c/b?)

Thanks, Chandresh. I’ll keep that in mind when I blog next time. Good luck on March 17th!

10. Chandresh says:

BTW = By The Way
    b/c = because (of)

11. Saman says:

Chaharshanbe Suri is one of the biggest Persian ceremonies which Iranian from all around the world celebrate it by making fire and jumping over it when they are singing an old verse. If you translate the verse into English, you get this meaning ” My redness comes from fire and fire’s yellowness comes from me [ which we consider that our skins are yellow ]. “. This ceremony is at the last Tuesday’s night of Persian year and this year is on March 13, 2007 (NIGHT = because you can observe a fire’s flame better ).

Also Happy PI day. Does anyone celebrate one of these?

Maybe you can find a group of Iranian near your home and join them in this big event or you can do it yourself. It should be easy to make a fire. Last year we didn’t have anybody and any wood so we had to jump over a candle.

12. BTW, I guess many of 2011 aspirants do not want to live at all being rejected from MIT — with or without water.

13. Chandresh says:

The links detail a lot.
    Regardless of Saturday, I’d really like to help.
    Great Job.

14. Saman says:

check here about this old tradition ” Chaharshanbe Suri “.

15. Pradeep says:

kudos Mitra. for addressing global issues in your blog. it really does inspire lot of us visiting your blogs.

16. Awet says:

Great post. I have been really active in community service throughout high school, and I can’t wait to step it up once I get into college. This sounds like a good place to start!!

17. Awet says:

LOL being rejected from MIT shouldnt bother anyone because its not the end of the world and there are other better places too. so dont be so cocky BTW

BTW, I guess many of 2011 aspirants do not want to live at all being rejected from MIT — with or without water.

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wandering Albatross on March 13, 2007 06:36 AM