Snively '11

Apr 10, 2008

CPW 2008: The Hack Edition

Posted in: Life & Culture

Hackers don't waste any time hacking CPW this year. It's the first day and already some strange things are appearing around campus.

Have you ever been walking down the hall and caught a whiff of rotting flesh? Maybe heard the sounds of a shuffling creature behind you, limping and dragging his right foot? Have you ever been standing quietly, uneasy, and heard a barely audible groan from right over your left shoulder? Students at MIT realize that a zombie invasion is a serious threat, one that shouldn't be taken lightly. MIT, although likely concerned about our safety, doesn't see the zombies as a threat, forcing hackers to help protect the students. While traveling down the hall in building 16 you will see something that looks like this.

Upon closer inspection

Finally, we can rest easy, knowing that if ever we are threatened by the undead, we have a convenient and easily accessible form of defense. Some are oblivious to the threat and are confused by the need for a chainsaw in a box. They will be the first to go come the zompocalypse.

Seeing this got me thinking . . . why would there be a chainsaw in building 16? Sure, it's heavily trafficked, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the chainsaw in building 46, the Brain and Cognitive sciences building? I headed over there.

Sure enough, sitting in the lobby . . .

Students of MIT and CPW prefrosh, I am happy to announce that, in case of zombie invasion, we will have a chance at survival. If we are forced to take action, grab the nearest chainsaw and head for the small dome, we'll fend them off and wait for rescue. Are you with me???

love! smile

Posted by: Oasis on April 10, 2008

affection! smile

Posted by: Tanmay '12 on April 10, 2008

Just when I thought MIT couldn't get any better... It suddenly did! That's an awesome hack.

Posted by: Beau Brown on April 10, 2008

Um, in a zombie attack a crowbar is a far more practical weapon. DUR-HEY, MIT.

Posted by: Truman on April 10, 2008

What about raptor attacks?! =O

Posted by: Hawkins on April 10, 2008

Well that thing isn't going to be useful in an alien attack, a terrorist attack (damn, you're in the flippin' USA!), or anything other than a zombie attack.

And I thought people were smarter these days, a bit more efficiency, come on!

Lol

Jerome

Posted by: Jerome Baum on April 10, 2008

Everyone knows you should go to Simmons for a zombie attack. Think of the sniper ratio!

Posted by: Piper '11 on April 10, 2008

Only MIT is prepared for zombie attacks. Just another reason to go. :]

Posted by: 0 on April 10, 2008

lol, sniper ratio... good thinking, Paul.

Posted by: Hawkins on April 10, 2008

And when I proposed this to my school, they said i was crazy...I knew that MIT was prepared for every event possible !
Er, Hawkins, Piper talked about sniper ratio, not Paul ! lol ^^'

Posted by: Isshak on April 10, 2008

Also, I love the word "zompocalypse", good work Snively !

Posted by: Isshak on April 10, 2008

But this begs the question, are the zombies intelligent enough to grab the chainsaws and start a new level of massacre?

Posted by: Travis on April 10, 2008

Travis: According to Max Brook's "Zombie Survival Guide," then no, they are not intelligent enough to realize that there are more powerful weapons than their fists!

Posted by: Beau Brown on April 10, 2008

Wow, big oversight on my part... I blame it on my way-too-long absence from these blogs. Never join the navy. =P

Posted by: Hawkins on April 10, 2008

Yvan Eht Nioj =P

Posted by: Piper '11 on April 10, 2008

Also, they Rick-rolled the media lab video in building 16 =D

Posted by: Piper '11 on April 11, 2008

IWHTFP spelled out is in lobby 7 as of 5AM or so when I walked by.

I will? I wont'? raspberry

Posted by: rko on April 11, 2008

I Will Have Truly Found Paradise perhaps

Posted by: Alli on April 11, 2008

@Piper - I see what you did there. =P

hahaha, IWHTFP, brilliant!

Posted by: Hawkins on April 12, 2008

What about a robot uprising? I assume that there are plenty of robots in MIT. Other than you, Snively, is anyone prepared to defend themselves from the coming rebelion?

Posted by: Paul Hoops on April 12, 2008

Robots? That's ridiculous! There aren't robots that want to take over the world. *shifty eyes*

Posted by: Piper '11 on April 12, 2008

I have a pic of that on my cell phone lawl

anyways, it's good for those late night parties when one of your friends goes off after ten cans of red bull.

Posted by: Judy Hao '12 on April 13, 2008

Yay!! lol, I saw that hack too! And yes, I got a picture! XD I can't wait to show my friends. =)

Posted by: Roshan '12 on April 14, 2008

These hacks were just the beginning, prefrosh!
If you come to MIT, you'll see lots of hacks, sometimes even hacks against people, like trolling their blogs, etc. It's really fun! It's also even more fun if you're trolling them, and they're someone they see everyday because you live right down the hall from them!

tl;dr MIT loves it when you mess with people's minds.

Posted by: Anonymous on April 15, 2008

Was that the only hack? I saw a cop car inside the Stata building. Is that always there?

Posted by: Connie '12 on April 15, 2008

The cop car is actually a museum exhibit from a really old hack. That police car appeared on the dome one day, now it's on display in Stata. Same with the cow.

Posted by: Snively on April 15, 2008