Davidson Fellows scholarship program by Matt McGann '00

A great scholarship opportunity from the wonderful folks at the Davidson Institute for Talent Development.

From reading your applications, I know that many of you would be very competitive for another wonderful opportunity: the Davidson Fellows scholarship program.

Sponsored by the good folks at the Davidson Institute for Talent Development, the program provides scholarships of $50,000, $25,000 or $10,000 to high school-age students who have done significant work of their own creation in the fields of Science, Mathematics, Technology, Music, Literature, Philosophy or “Outside the Box.”

To apply, you must submit the Preliminary Submission Overview Form by March 14. You also must be a US citizen or permanent resident, live in the US, and not have your 18th birthday before October 1st of this year.

A number of MIT students are Davidson Fellows, including $50,000 scholarship winners Jamie Rubin ’07 and Daniel Kane ’07.

“Jamie conducted in-depth research into treating infections caused by the Candida albicans fungus with a combinatorial approach, cutting the time needed for future research from several years to less than a week. Jamie’s research, outlined in her project “Characterization of the Secreted Aspartic Proteinases of C. albicans Using a Combinatorial Approach,” could improve the quality of life for millions with compromised immune systems, including cancer, HIV and AIDS patients.”

“Daniel explored the theory of partitions, a branch of additive number theory, and proved a conjecture posed by national experts in the field. Daniel’s work, titled “Two Papers on the Theory of Partitions,” makes a significant advancement in number theory with far-reaching applications in many other areas of mathematics, including the fields of coding theory, representation theory and algebraic geometry.”

This is a great opportunity, I hope many of you will apply!

For more resources for gifted & talented students, check out the Davidson Institute website or Cogito.org.

42 responses to “Davidson Fellows scholarship program”

First Post. . .

I wish I could contribute to this fellowship but alas, I’m average. Good luck everybody else!

2. Monika says:

Good luck for all applicants!
    Unfortunately I am an international..

Snively: Do you ever switch off your computer??:)

if u live in U.S. but if u don’t have any residency status , can u apply?

4. Best of luck to all domestic applicants.

5. Solomon says:

Bam, I am already 18.
    Monika do you also get of your computer, I can recall seeing your name in several entries. Well.
    Anonymous please refer to the entry again and you would see that it is only US citizens who qualify.

6. Bianca says:

That sounds like a great program. I would apply, but sadly I turned 18 two weeks ago :(

lol, my computer has its off moments, I promise. I like to spend a lot of time blogging (writing in my own blog, not necessarily reading these ones) though, and that takes a little bit of time. While I do that, I always have MIT blog RSS feed up, so I can jump on new posts, that’s why it seems like I’m always on. That, and right now I’m in an online class at school and would rather not be messing around with the sophomore economics class I need to take so that I can graduate. It’s weird, I have enough social studies credits to get into MIT but not enough to get out of high school. . .

So yeah, I like blogging, and I do it a lot! Go ahead and read my blog if you’d like, my name is the link.

8. Solomon says:

Matt, when do decisions come out? Is it March 17th? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh…..dies from anxiety.

sorry for the double post

11. Jonathan says:

Yeah, someone please tell us when the decisions are coming out. It’s killing me. Didn’t they announce it in October for EA, which was 2 months before decisions were given? Why are they waiting so long now?

12. Sandra says:

I have been looking for research opportunities in my area and haven’t found any. If anyone is aware of any in the Rhode Island/Boston area, for high school students, that would be great. I am applying to MIT for early decision next fall, but I would like to do research in the meantime, especially in the biology/atmospheric sciences/chemistry fields. Thanks for the inspiring blog.

13. Elizabeth says:

Guys- they posted two days ago that decisions will be March 17th as we all expected (unless something comes up, they don’t know for sure until it’s closer to decision time). It’s on the announcement column on the left of the admissions blogs page- general admissions announcements so…

Yes, decisions are supposed to be MARCH 17 everyone.

14. Bryan H. says:

Elizabeth – Yes, decisions are supposed to be MARCH 17 everyone.

But it’s so far away!

/cry

Ahh, dangit. I turn 18 before Oct. 1.

Not that I’d qualify anyway. Hahaha. I don’t think I’ve done anything amazing enough for that.

Alas, I turned 18 last year:( But then again, I’m kinda average too. Thanx for the info Matt. Good luck to everyone who applies!

Help us out Matt,
    How is the admissions reading and processing going?

18. Hm. My CEO is holding my tail in serious propulsion works, I have to obey him,……….

Tango Hotel Echo Mike Alpha Delta Mike Alpha November Whiskey Hotel Oscar Mike Alpha Kilo Echo Sierra Papa Echo Oscar Papa Lima Echo Foxtrot Lima Yankee

Guess who I am!!!!

~~~
    ^~^
    -
    |
    /
    |
    |
    / 

Jamie also makes awesome cookies. ^_^

What else can I say? She lives two floors below me.

20. debbie says:

hahaha i was looking at this! and i was going to apply to this! ahh the rare advantages of being 17 yr old senior!!!

21. Solomon says:

Now I feel silly for not checking the announcements before asking my question. Oh God.

22.  বন্ধু এখানে কারা এই ভাষাটা সত্যি সত্যি বুঝতে পারো ?
  23. Josh V says:

i am 18 as well…sad. but, just like others, i’m pretty average…

on a kind of off topic, but cooler note, i just learned about dopamine, endorphins, gaba, acetylcholine, etc today in a&p. ahhh best class ever!!!

(math test tomorrow…euler’s method…gross. sooo tedious)

24. Elizabeth says:

Josh- ha, you had school raspberry
    you know, if I did any research (with ALL that free time I’ve had-HA) I could apply- I only just turned 17! But too bad.

25. Thuita Maina says:

Am not a US citizen (& I don’t intend to betray my people by becoming one) and am 19 years. That completely locks me out of the scholarship competition but all the same I love MIT because of it’s culture that rewards creativity while channeling students energy towards life-improving activities. I hope I make it there. March 17th? Quite near.

26. blizz says:

stinks for me too. I will still be 16 when I graduate.

Ah! I wish I was born a year later!

as a 16 year old senior i feel like i can say that age doesn’t help if you haven’t found the opportunities to do that kind of amazingggg thing.

29. Jon says:

gotta gotta <3 the davidsons… young scholars go!

30. bhushan says:

isn’t there any such fellowship for international student

31. Maia says:

I’m already 18, but I’m kinda average for all that, anyway. *rereads bios* Actually, to be honest, compared to them I kinda suck…

32. Melissa '11 says:

Actually, we didn’t get notification months in advanced – we applied two months in advanced.

But decisions for you guys will come out March 17th.

Good luck!

33. Herr Matt,

MY MyMit says

“Application tracking is no longer available for entry year 2007”

Does that mean you have thrown me away ??

34. Ying Wei says:

Dear Matt,

Do you have any other academic opportunities for international students?
    Malaysia does not participate in RSI… :(

Application tracking no longer available….gosh! I nearly had an heart attack…duh!

36. Q says:

Oh my God! My mom works with Daniel’s dad! They both teach at the same university!

if other things r at par will SAT be a deal breaker

38. I know dis aint da rite page to ask dis, but m totally loosing it. Can’t concentrate on my board exams which r on…..
    SAT 2080
    SAT2 2150/2400
    GPA app. 97/100
    a bunch of exta curricular transcripts…
    Will I make it to MIT
    HELP!!!!!
    PUHLEEEZZZZ!!!

39. Christian says:

As you could see on my web http://www.algoesoio.com/cipli.html
    I know I do have more to give to MIT, in terms of knowledge, I have a really big project to carry on that combines medicine with ingeniering (4 world congresses and more than 10 internacional congress around the world 2005-2006). I am peruvian.
    REMEMBER ALWAYS THAT GOOD IDEAS COME FROM EVERYWHERE.

Hey Matt!

A while back you posted some really amazing summer programs people could attend to during high school.

I’m wondering if you know some similar ones, but geared towards university/college aged people? Ones that can take non-US residents…(I’m from Canada…)

Thanks! I love reading the posts of everyone and getting an insight to MIT.

PS: anyone who reads this and knows of something reply too!

41. Susan says:

Uh, Samujjal – I could be wrong about this, but I don’t think the bloggers are supposed to say whether or not a given person has a good chance – they aren’t on the deciding committees and it avoids hurt feelings.

Good luck, though. And I can definitely understand your asking; I’ve been asking myself the same thing. If you hear a scream of happiness all the way over there in India it means MIT accepted me.

42. can an iitan or normal technical gradute be the part of mit