MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Last Night by Mitra L. '07

What I did last night, on my last night. CambridgeSide Galleria & Brokeback Mountain

“Last Night” — get it?!

I took my 14.41: Public Economics final in the afternoon, so I wanted to go out after and celebrate. (I am so confused about the name of 14.41. I have heard it at different times called Public Policy, Public Finance, and Public Economics.

Funny story:

Student: I’m taking 14.41 this term
Professor: Oh, is that PF?
Student: No, I’m taking it on grades, not pass/fail.
Professor: I mean Public Finance)

Here is a possibly-staged photograph of me while I’m studying for my finals. I love very few things (pomegranates? double-sided printing?) as much as I love Triscuits, but sleep is one of them.

Okay I’m losing focus already. Anyway, my point is that I had an economics exam, so I wanted to do something fun for the night. Because my fun included three friends who are also economics majors, I didn’t exactly escape the world of my major, but that’s okay.

We went to the CambridgeSide Galleria for dinner

Interesting facts:

Tina ’07 will be interning for John Kerry this IAP
Mitra ’07 writes a blog (!) for the admissions office
Debbie ’06 spent the first half of sophomore year studying abroad in Spain
Veena ’06 is former captain of the varsity women’s crew team

We challenged Debbie ’06 to tie a cherry stem into a knot using her tongue. Then we paid the bill, left the restaurant, and walked around the mall for a bit. 20 minutes later, Debbie triumphantly announced that she had done it. NICE.

One of our stops included CVS, where a certain someone bought shampoo and a certain other person bought a giant Hershey’s Kiss for her boyfriend. I wanted a really small piece of candy, but did not need an entire bag, so I purchased one of those overpriced truffles (pictured below) for 33 cents. When I gave the cashier my quarter and dime, I realized that I didn’t need the extra two pennies, so I told her to keep the change. WELL my econ major friends (I knew I shouldn’t have hung out with them!) hassled me so much for giving up those two pennies, since it’s (apparently) irrational, non-profit-maximizing behavior and I am creating a market inefficiency. Since each person (groan alert) gave me an earful of her two cents, I feel much wealthier now. THANKS, GUYS.

The culprit.

After dinner, I hopped on the bus and went to the movie theater where Sam and some other friends had patiently waited in line and saved me a good seat. (How dare they call me inefficient? Honestly.) We saw Brokeback Mountain, which was simply wonderful.

Michelle Williams’s acting was phenomenal. You’ve come a long way, Jennifer Lindley. (Well, so has Joey Potter, but that’s a whole separate story.) (Does anyone get these references? Anyone?)

It surprisingly wasn’t that cold outside, so we decided to take the bus back to campus, where we unintentionally danced around in black ice before getting back to our dorm.

(In case you don’t know the origins of the story in Brokeback Mountain: it’s based on a short story of the same name by E. Annie Proulx. Last January, I wrote about some books I had recently read, including Proulx’s The Shipping News.)

17 responses to “Last Night”

I cannot believe that you did not take the Braintree Train. Braintree Train. This is a Braintree Train.

2. Bryan says:

I had a really witty comment when I saw the title of your entry, but while reading your entry again I forgot it. Then with your link to the black ice I was reminded of my stroll to Saferide yesterday when I was being careful of the black ice, but managed to take a picture perfect dive nonetheless.

3. tina says:

oh silly mitra. was it YOU who thought the professor was referring to pass/fail?

It was Debbie ’06!

5. Veena says:

Hahaha. awesome entry mira! I’m glad we got you thinking about that extra $.02 for that truffle. lol smile hope you have an awesome time at home in Cali!

Wow, I miss you already… it’s so lonely here at MIT without you. There’s just a void that threatens to envelop the entire campus.

i’m jealous. brokeback mt has limited engagement so i wont be seeing jake gyllenhaal’s deliciousness (well, this movie anyway) except on DVD. but then again, i’m not sure texas could handle a movie about gay cowboys. too blasphemous i suppose.

8. Rajeev says:

I go to school in Andover, Mass and I have never seen black ice. sounds particularly cool (pun?) happy holidays!

9. Rajeev says:

I go to school in Andover, Mass and I have never seen black ice. Sounds particularly cool (pun?) Happy holidays!

10. RBY says:

Nice socks in that picture. Also you and Sam should go out.

Hi!!! I just need a help.There was a mistake with my application fee because the fee waiver was selected by mistake,I realized that I was not eligible for fee waiver.I didn

12. Hey Mitra,

It’s been a while since I last posted something here, but I’ll tell you that I have been reading all of the posts that I’d missed and they are all awesome. You really know how to make interesting blogs entries! So, hey UPDATE, I got deferred from EA to RA so now I’ll have to wait until late March to see if I get into MIT. :(

Oh well, I’m looking forward to getting in RA because I really NEED to meet you all of the cool bloggers and I really want to have the opportunity of studying in such a great university!

Oh well, pray for me all of you and wish me luck in RA!!! smile

Omar from Puerto Rico! :>

I see references to Dawson’s Creek!

14. Sunny says:

hey Mitra,

I am here for some help. My app has been sent and everything is ready except for my standerdized test scores. My scores are not up on my collegeboard account and i dont know how to send them now, it will take time for me to contact the Collegeboard people. i was wondering if MIT will give me an extension. woulld they not consider my app at all if the scores arent there. Just worried. anyways thanks and i love your blog entries, it gives an idea about student life there.

15. nghi says:

did you cry at the end of brokeback mountain?

16. tilo says:

Hi Mitra – I hope you’ve tried Helmand the Afghani rest. across the street from Galleria.

and is that Veena in your foto

Yup, actually I went to Helmand freshman year with my dad when he was visiting. Very good food