Matt McGann '00

Jun 24, 2008

Prof. Junot Diaz on The Colbert Report!

Posted in: Best of the Blogs, Academics & Research

A week ago, Professor Junot Diaz of the MIT Department of Writing & Humanistic Studies, appeared on The Colbert Report. Certainly Prof. Diaz has been doing many interviews since he won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, but an appearance on Colbert is always... interesting.

For those of you who aren't familiar with The Colbert Report, there are some things you should know before you watch the below video clip. First, the show is a satirical program, poking fun at conservative political pundit programs like "The O'Reilly Factor." On the show, Colbert plays a character modeled after commentators like Bill O'Reilly. And, to help with context in the interview, you should know that Lou Dobbs is a television commentator famous for his opposition to illegal immigration, and you may also know want to know what a triffid is.

If you've got all that, enjoy!

If you're interested in seeing Prof. Diaz talk without being interrupted by Stephen Colbert, check out this talk he gave for Authors@Google promoting his book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao:

You can also listen to a more serious discussion -- check out this half-hour long interview from NPR's Fresh Air: 'Wondrous Life' Explores Multinationality.

Long-time readers may recall that blogger alum Mitra '07 took 21W.755: Writing and Reading Short Stories with Professor Diaz [see entry: "Classes - Spring 07"] and later blogged about the buzz for Oscar Wao on the class discussion list [see entry: "Running away with the field"].

I finished Oscar Wao on vacation in Germany a few weeks back, and it was a great book -- put it on your summer reading list!

I am America - and so can you!

Posted by: Piper on June 24, 2008

2nd post woot!

Posted by: dude on June 25, 2008

I just did a search for this on my library's website--there are 45 holds on the first copy returned.

Posted by: Mari on June 25, 2008

'nerdery'

Posted by: Daniel on June 25, 2008

The Colbert Report is easily one of my favorite shows to watch. Oh those silly politicians. Colbert rocks my socks! raspberry

Posted by: Jeremy on June 25, 2008

The Triffids have reached a new level of random.

Posted by: 0 on June 25, 2008

omg! I saw this episode the other day, and I had NO idea that man was an MIT professor!

I personally think it would be awesome if Colbert did the 2012 commencement *cough*

Posted by: Chris '12 on June 25, 2008

I read this book when it was first mentioned on MIT's homepage (before Diaz won the Pulitzer.) It's a really great read, and I'm thinking of taking one of his writing courses next year.

Posted by: David Stiebel on June 25, 2008

Yeah... according to my libraries online site, there are 71 holds for the hard cover, 41 for the book on cd, and 17 for the large print.

Posted by: 0 on June 25, 2008

@Chris '12 : coughItotallyagreecough.

Yay, Prof. Diaz! Yay, Stephen Colbert!

Posted by: 0 on June 25, 2008

@Chris - OH GOD YES! For our class please? *sigh*

Posted by: Piper on June 26, 2008

@Chris, Colbert @ MIT =D

Posted by: Dima '12 on June 26, 2008

The Colbert Report is like no other...

Posted by: E Ha on June 26, 2008

Prof. Diaz is very funny actually.

Posted by: 0 on June 26, 2008

I saw Prof. Diaz on CBS Sunday Morning a couple of weeks ago! I immediately added his book to my shortlist of summer books to read :D

Posted by: Shamarah on June 27, 2008

haha Colbert owns all. wink
except stewart of course...

Posted by: Amrita Kulkarni on July 3, 2008