MIT student blogger Lydia K. '14, MEng '16

Random Ceiling Tiles by Lydia K. '14, MEng '16

The ceilings of Random Hall and a friendly message.

Some of you have to make a decision to come here (or not) by 23:59 tomorrow. If you’re on the fence, I have one small bid to make you fall in love. I came to MIT for the people here. I’ve had wonderful experiences with my professors and friends, but I found a home and a second family in Random Hall. Each dorm at MIT has a personality, and I think ours is at least partly captured in our ceiling tiles. Below are the ceiling tiles in the seven of eight floors that have colorful ceilings, separated by floor.

I also wrote you a blog post a year ago. What I said there was true a year ago and it is equally true now. Specifically, I want to share this part:

I hope you choose MIT, obviously. This place is amazing. If you got in, it’s because you can handle it, and because you’re the kind of person who might love it. Life moves fast here: there are many more opportunities—for fun, for work, or both—than you have time for, even if you don’t sleep. But whether you choose MIT or not, own your decision, because when the path you choose gets difficult, it will be very helpful to rekindle the assurance and sense of purpose that drove you to follow it. Do it because you know you want to do it, not because of money or rankings or because other people say you should.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about MIT in the comments or by email. No matter what you choose, from the bottom of my heart: good luck!

Black Hole kitchen

Bonfire kitchen and lounge

Pecker kitchen

Clam lounge

BMF kitchen

BMF lounge

Destiny kitchen

Foo lounge