MIT student blogger Kirsten L. '15

A Maple Peach in Cambridge by Kirsten L. '15

They have some weird fruit here

Talking about myself is weird, but I’m sure all you out there that frequent the blogs would love to stalk learn about one of the new bloggers (:

Hello everyone! I’m Kirsten, one of the four fabulous freshmen MIT bloggers (Alliteration! Woo! Sorry if that comes across as vain…).

In a few seconds, we’re going to start a brief presentation on the life of Kirsten. Please sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Let’s start from the beginning. I was born in the magnificent, but chilly, country of Canada. However, I’m essentially an American because I moved down to the States when I was 3 years old. I’ve lived in Georgia for practically my whole life, until this summer when I officially moved to live in a hotel (aka Maseeh).

I, like many (but not all) at MIT, knew I wanted to go into math and science. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that my dad was an engineer and my mom was a biochemist. Perhaps it had to do with all that tinkering I used to do with Tinker Toys and K’nex. Perhaps it was DESTINY. Whatever the reason, I grew up as a creative “do-er.” I kept busy whether it was building a fort out of pillows, a rollercoaster, or room decorations. In high school, I didn’t slow down. To keep mentally sharp, I applied to a new charter school in Georgia. It was there that I, as part of the inaugural class, spent my time as a guinea pig. Over those four years, I took an incredible amount of math and science in four years without any upperclassmen to come to my aid. But that was the less interesting, academic-related side of my high school life. My more memorable moments from high school were from my time in Robotics and Science Olympiad. It was in those clubs that I built some really awesome balsa wood bridges, towers, Rube-Goldberg devices, and of course robots.

But when it finally was time to start applications, MIT wasn’t my first choice school. I had visited colleges the previous year and had my heart set on somewhere else.

When I didn’t get into my first choice, I was pretty crushed.
But I stopped pitying myself and started College Applications Round 2. Reflecting back on my college tours, I rekindled my feelings about MIT. How, when I walked onto campus I felt like I was at home (unlike that school down the road where I didn’t even bother applying to). Ultimately, I ended up applying to MIT during regular decision and made the cut! After making some hard choices, I decided that MIT was where I was going and enrolled.

Although I’m not exactly sure what I’ll feel once I get situated at MIT, I do know I will learn here. About the culture, about classes, about life. I hope my blogs are helpful to those of you in high school who want a taste of MIT culture from home and to those of you who will be freshmen next year. Either way, I can’t wait to get started!

14 responses to “A Maple Peach in Cambridge”

1. Srijan Sood says:

“but I’m sure all you out there that frequent the blogs would love to stalk learn about one of the new bloggers” xD

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but WHAT was your first choice school??MIT is my dream school and I just want to know how can I increase my chance of getting accepted.(I am an international student and I know it will be quite hard to get in)

2. Muhannad Shihabi says:

Welcome new blogger!
    laugh out loud i am with srijan on this one I cant help but wonder which college was your first pick while mit came second.
    i guess its one of the few things were going to learn about you K-I-R-S-T-E-N smile
    cant wait to hear from you soon

3. Ana V. '15 says:

^_^ SO excited

4. Kshitij says:

Thanks a lot! I’ll definitely do that! And ( hopefully ), I will get to meet you next year! smile

5. Kshitij says:

Hi Kirsten! I’m also planning to apply this year. Was getting in very difficult? I am an international student, and two kids from my school ( very intelligent ones ) tried to get in, but they unfortunately failed to ‘make the cut’. What should I do? I’m feeling very tense about applying to MIT, although my hearty is really set upon this place.

6. Keith says:

Welcome! I’m also from Georgia! smile

7. Kirsten L. '15 says:

First comment :D
    To those of you wondering what my first choice was… I don’t think it’s really that important as to what it was, but rather, I thought that it was a good fit for me. However, it doesn’t matter now because MIT is an AMAZING place and absolutely the place where I feel I belong.

Kshitij,
    I think that college admissions is always tough. But, college applications don’t have to be stressful. You should really just focus on talking about who you really are. Remember, college admissions officers don’t know you. All they have is the sheets of paper you send to them. You need to paint them a genuine picture of yourself. Sit down and make a list of things you do that you’re very passionate about and have committed time to. Also think of characteristics about yourself that you think define who you are. Then take the time to sit down and really write a good essay. If you put in the time and effort, you’ll see results.
    Most importantly, remember to “just do you.” Be yourself in your essays!
    Best of Luck!

8. Adarsh Rao says:

@Kshitij : ….”Domestic students”…lol….
    And, yeah, I guess it’s tougher for international students…:(

9. Kshitij says:

One more thing Kirsten. Being an international student, do I have a disadvantage? Because MIT takes around 3.8% international students, as compared to 11.4% indigenous students.

10. Samuel says:

I was wondering if you ever got a 3 on any of your AP exams?

11. Brian Barr says:

Hey Kirsten! Congrats on becoming a blogger! Haha I read up on the blog over the summer, but I never expected to see you on it. I should have known. ; ) But thanks for all of the advice and I look forward to reading more in the future. Hopefully there will be a few more from that “new charter school in Georgia” in the next few years. ; ) Good luck with school!

12. Kirsten L. '15 says:

Kshitij,
    It seems like you’re pretty well informed about the international rates and such. Personally, I don’t know very much. But I do feel that I’ve met many international students in the couple of days that I’ve been here at MIT. I wouldn’t be too discouraged by numbers! The most important thing to remember is to focus on making your application the best representation of who you are.

Brian!
    Thanks! Nice to hear from someone back home. I do hope more of us make it up to MIT. That would be fun (:
    Best of luck this year!

13. Kshitij says:

Ok. Thanks a lot for your help Kirsten! smile

14. Mitali says:

YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH THE COOLEST PERSON EVER. :D