The Year of the Origami Dog by Matt McGann '00

A beautiful folded-paper version of Evie the dog.

Following last week’s Lunar New Year post, Joanne got a beautiful gift: an origami Evie.

The most amazing thing about the piece is just how much it really looks like Evie. Check it out!

The origami Evie was created by Jason ’09, one of MIT’s terrific origami artists. Count me among the very impressed.

MIT is a great place for origami enthusiasts. We have an active origami club, OrigaMIT. It is currently run by two awesome people: Andrea ’07 and Prof. Erik Demaine.

Also, this month is the annual Student Origami Competition and Exhibit (deadline February 21). I expect to see some nice entries; I’ll post them when the exhibition opens!

31 responses to “The Year of the Origami Dog”

1. Nabeel says:

wow how cool!

people at MIT are actually into origami as well. i too like to make stuff out of paper but having origami contests is big. MIT ROCKS!

2. Hehehe, origami eh? That’s pretty interesting…I’m no artist so I remember the last time i tried to make an origami box with origami paper and instructions…i still failed miserably smile I’ll stick to the plastic stuff wink But hey, those Origami contests must be awesome, my compliments to the artists wink

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

We all know how very busy you are… in fact , we all probably want you to be very busy in reading (and accepting!) our applications.. but we are too eager to wait!!!

We’d all love to hear about some memorable applications ( both US and international) that you have read (of course without the names!!) – some great essay, a wonderful anecdote, some achievement etc., etc…

So, I’m just asking everyone here to post their signature(name) if they support that Matt spend some time on just writing about the great applications he has read ( from US and international!) till date!

Matt, dont be offended…. we know how busy you are but we’re really biting our nails herE!!

Anyways, my vote is in!!!

4. Alissa says:

whoaaa *_* cool. I wish I could do origami that well…I should practice more.

5. Dhrubo says:

Yup, I’m on too.

6. doubtful says:

I suspect privacy considerations would likely prohibit Matt from commenting in any way about any specific application, even without attribution.

7. Shen says:

I agree with doubtful, that it probably isn’t ethical to post pieces of applications online.

I’m sure that the Admissions Staff carefully considers all the apps; there is no one “right” application that is a cookie cutter for everybody.

To Anon and everybody else impatiently waiting, good luck! Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

8. Rafael says:

wow, amazing! I remember the days when I tried origami myself. thumbs up for Jason’s website.

9. Maria says:

I remember hearing Prof. Demaine speak at a guest luncheon at WTP last summer. His work is incredible, especially the way he relates it to protein folding.

Hope you’re having fun reading applications!

10. Mom08 says:

Matt, Sorry for this off-Origami topic question.

Has MIT decided yet whether or how the SAT I writing section will be considered for the class of 2011? Thanks.

11. uren says:

mom08 and alissa – i think the writing section will be considered for the class of 2011 and will also matter this year since they are too many good applications and too few differences btw them (do i sound like matt? wink

12. Amit says:

Will the number of students accepted from foreign countries be increased this year?

Thank you. smile

13. usha says:

one more YES to anonymous

14. As far as I know for entry year 2006 the writing section won’t be considered because the section does not reflect the abilities MIT is looking for in the applicants. I think I read this on Ben’s Blog.

Good luck to everybody!

15. Alissa says:

Mom08- I believe they are not considering SATI writing. “For entry year 2006: SAT I (either the old version or the new version, available beginning March 2005) or the ACT (with or without the optional writing test).” It sounds like you don’t even have to take it, and I remember Matt saying something about not looking at the Writing section this year.

16. Alissa says:

ooh haha. Class of 2011!! (My eyes skipped over the number) Yes, I think they will be counted for 2011.

17. Mom08 says:

Never mind about the SAT writing question. I found the answer.

18. Mom08 says:

I should have looked before I posted. From the admissions site: “For entry year 2007 and beyond: SAT I or the ACT with the writing test.”

it’s too bad SAT I writing doesn’t count for this year… I got an 800 on that and it really shows in my post, doesn’t it?

20. Grace says:

That’s some pretty cool origami!

21. Melis says:

That origami dog is amazing! Who needs real animals (I’m allergic to cats) when you can get low-maintenance paper substitutes. By the way, there are 2 IAP origami classes, if anyone is interested and planning way ahead.

hey matt. Would it be ok if i sent my deferral update sometime this week?

23. Lerh Feng says:

Nice dog. How was it folded? What are the steps?

24. Wufei says:

That’s pretty l33t :O

25. Hey I know it isn’t considered but I think they probably would look at it if it was a good score and disregard it if it didn’t help the applicant. Especially for international students with good writing scores, this is very important in my opinion smile Yeah, Anon, it would be great if anecdotes from specific applications were posted but of course that is a violation of privacy. Oh well, college applications in general tend to be humorous in parts because some of them are filled out under much stress ;P

Take care everyone and good luck in the waiting process…it’s killing me Matt please post new things, even if they don’t have anything to do with admissions; i want to keep myself preoccupied until the decisions are announced! Hehe it’s just a suggestion i’m not really serious; even having this blog system is amazing in my opinion, so GO MIT! wink

I wish you the best of luck with reading, and for God’s sake take a break every once in a while! (if you’re allowed to :D)

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

26. Nina says:

Hey! I think that the art of origami is great! In fact I am very keen on doind different things out of paper. And that’s the reason why I spend my spare time doing little houses or furniture, or animals, or maquets! Just a few minutes ago I finished a visualisation of a one very interesting problem. And I dare to say it looks pretty good! =) So, when I saw the origami dog I felt so happy. And just wanted to express my appreciation! =) have a nice day!

27. lance says:

wooooooooooooooooooooow

28. dan says:

I wanna know how ya made da email da instructions to me please

29. Marina says:

WOW!!amazing!how did you do that???

30. Marina says:

could you send me instructions so i could do that?PLEASE!!send to my email address([email protected])

31. Katie says:

WOW! Its really cool i wish that i could do origami that well!