MIT student blogger Snively '11

Vespertilio by Snively '11

No spoilers here.

As I type this it is 3:28 AM. I have to be awake for work at 4:45 AM. At 4:45 AM I will have been awake for 24 hours. This means that I could try to get an hour long nap in. Or, it means I can tell you what I’ve been doing with the last six hours of my life. Latter? Methinx yes.

At 9:30 PM I grabbed my skates headed over to the Fenway movie theater. It was time for BATMAN! I was supposed to get there at 10 but was about five minutes early so I watched as guys dressed in batman pajamas stormed the front entrance of the theater and chased after the news cameras. It was going to be a good night.

At ten, Javi ’08, Jordan ’11, Dan ’11, and Harrison ’11 all showed up and we picked up our pre-ordered Fandango tickets. We headed to theater 12, showed our ticket stubs, and walked in. Not only were we two hours early but the theater was already a quarter full. This was going to be awesome!

We managed to snag the best seats in the house, that front row above the neck-straining section, the one with the bar you can put your feet up on. We grabbed our five seats and settled in for our 2 hour wait.

[2 hours later]

OMG guys! This is it! Batman!!!

[2.5 hours later]

OMGOMGOMGGUYS!BESTMOVIEEVERWOWOWOWOWOWOWAWESOME!!!!!

Seriously. Batman: Dark Knight, epic. Absolutely epic. Go see it as soon as humanly possible because you will thoroughly enjoy every second. From the quick humor to the crazy explosions to the masterful acting, Dark Knight will be one of those movies I watch many many times. I’m actually listening to the soundtrack as I type, it’s just that good.

A skate home across the bridge threw me for a loop. I looked at the green building and noticed that every single light was off. There’s this unwritten understanding at MIT that if every light in the green building (both sides) is turned off, the world will end. There is always somebody in there doing something. . . but not tonight. I stared at this for a while. Why were there no lights on? About thirty seconds later I noticed that the top half of the building was lit. I looked at the top half of the building, lit up, and realized that there was a spotlight on it.

Why is there a spotlight on the green building? Are they lighting all river-facing buildings now?

I checked the great dome and it wasn’t missing any spotlights and no other buildings were lit up.

I stared at this spotlight for a while, wondering if it was a desperate attempt to keep the world from ending. That’s when I saw it. Everything finally snapped into place. How could I have been so stupid!? This wasn’t a spotlight! This. . . was a Bat Signal

A quick text message to Eric Schmiedl, a quick “I’ll be right there!” and about 2 hours later we had pictures! I didn’t have my camera so I hope this picture will suffice.

A hack to finish off the evening, a perfect way to cap off a fantastic movie. Hackers, I don’t know who you are, but kudos on this one. Seriously, well-played. My only regret is that you didn’t get to actually watch the movie, but I respect you for that. Treat yourselves to it tomorrow, it won’t disappoint.

(Note, this was posted exactly twelve hours after it was written due to availability of pictures and having to go to work. Apologies!)

17 responses to “Vespertilio”

1. job'12 says:

So…does this mean the world ends? Or were some lights on on the other side of the building?

2. Alex says:

I should watch Batman: Dark Knight soon. I wonder if this is going to be better than Spiderman.

3. Enas'12 says:

OMG Snively… AMAZING!!! I love it! Hopefully the movie will still be in theaters in August…

4. Paul says:

Don’t forget about the Stata bat! Though I guess that’s a little harder to see from the bridge. :D

Also, I heard that the spotlight was taken down pretty soon after it was put up. Too bad, but I guess that’s the way it goes sometimes.

5. Bethan says:

Awesome! Too bad it isn’t out for another week in England, I can’t wait for it!

6. Sarli says:

The Dark Knight was amazing. Heath Ledger played an incredible role.

7. V says:

Saw this last night. It was so good. So. Good. I’m not really into action/comic book movies, but since it had really great reviews I decided to see it and I was not disapointed.

Gah, I’m still getting over how good it was!

8. Fred '11 says:

Ledger’s ;ast performance is definitely among (if not THE) his best performances. The Dark Night was awesome. I’ll be thinking abput it for days…

9. king says:

I probably won’t head be able to head to theatres with friends until school starts next month, so I might just download this movie.

10. Aditi says:

Surprisingly its released in my part of the world too. I really should go see it.

11. Karen says:

Dark Knight was totally badass. Quite an enjoyable movie. Almost as awesome as Iron Man…

12. Heidi'12 says:

Oh man Batman was awesome and I saw the Bat Signal on my way back to Next House too. My friends and I were so excited to see a hack in person.

13. Dima '12 says:

Batman will be out here next week and I want to watch it NOOOOWWW!!!

Hackers never cease to disappoint :D

14. Yarian G. says:

This movie was completely amazing. I actually was naive enough to think at one point that it was a safe time to go to the bathroom. I took no more than 2 minutes. I come back and ask my friend if I had missed anything sure in my head that he was going to say no and he says “yeah he just blew up a car”……

The joker is simply my favorite psychopathic clown with a knack for making people smile. (Want me to tell you how I got these scars?)

Yeah… oh and the “subtle” choice of transportation. (Not the main one in the trailers the luxury one for those that have seen it) looked sweet.

15. I saw it! I wasn’t sure I was going to like it because I’m not really a comic book fan but it. was. so. good.

Wait, Javi is in Boston?! I want to see Javi! He should come visit me in Madrid. Or at least come back to Boston again after I get there….

17. Judy '12 says:

nana na na nana na na na na BATMANNNN!!!!

omg… I loved that movie (but I wish they didn’t turn the batmobile into a motorbike)