MIT blogger Elizabeth C. '13

9000 Words by Elizabeth Choe '13

This post doesn't have 'em.

Figure 1. Life outside of classes.

A) Study break to make Matt (or rather, Papa Matt!) a congratulatory card.

B) On Wednesdays and Fridays, I have class from noon to 4, so I usually eat lunch during my documentary class. This day I was feeling particularly preschooler-like when I packed my lunch.

C) Tech Catholic Community’s annual fall retreat in Kennebunk, Maine. The sand was the perfect dampness for writing, so I proceeded to write little messages all over the beach…

D) Mark Zuckerberg visits MIT

E) It was an unusually gorgeous day in December (it got into the mid-60s!). This is the view from Simmons’ 8th floor terrace.

F) My friend Maita ’13 (her feet featured in Fig. 1C) decided to add a little something to my cello case while I was out of the room.

G) My hallmates and I have taken to sitting out in the hall. This is one of our handful of thinking spots (mine is right across from this one and is labeled “Happy Place” and sits next to a poster of Jimi Hendrix).

H) Sasha ’13, one of the 3AB goobers, had his first fencing tournament of the year the day after we made these posters (you’d be surpised how handy a stack of construction paper, three packs of markers, and 120 crayons have come in handy in the past 2 years).

I) Our GRT (MIT’s equivalent of RAs) threw a “Harvard Study Break” the other night. This consisted of cheese, fancy crackers, sparkling cider, a couple of us dressing up in sweaters, and pretentious conversation (I couldn’t take it for very long, though, and I soon changed into my Spongebob pajamas). Reinforced the fact that I am extremely averse to blue cheese.

9 responses to “9000 Words”

1. Diane says:

This was such a creative format for a blog post! Love it.

2. DanielG says:

Wait…there is life outside of class?

Also the pictures are post-processed very nicely. Normally I’m not a huge fan of vignettes, but they work very well in this situation. Thank you for the post!

3. lynn says:

HAHAHAHA “Harvard Study Break” raspberry

i always look forward to your posts elizabeth, ALWAYS!!

4. Daniel S says:

I really wanted you to skip i.

5. Nathan '14 says:

Thanks for linking to my blog post Elizabeth :D

6. Emily says:

Aah! It’s a cello! Since this is life outside of class, I’m going to ask–do you play in any groups? I’m applying and I play the cello, so I was wondering what kinds of musical things I can do when (ha! I’m being hopeful) I get accepted.

7. Meaghan says:

Teehee smile Oh Harvard. We love you but seriously. Take a chill pill. Gotta love MIT.

8. @DanielG: Haha, I used the free Instagram app.
    @Daniel S: Relax. It’s all in good fun – we [generally] like Harvard. And hey, if it’s an excuse to eat delicious cheese and grapes and crackers, then I like Harvard even more.
    @Emily: Yup yup. I play in MITSO (the MIT Symphony) and used to play in a piano trio and quartet when I was in Chamber Music Society. There’s also about 3 different drama groups on campus.

9. Daniel says:

lol looks like a lot of Daniels enjoy your posts (I certainly do).