MIT student blogger Snively '11

A Hack and Advice by Snively '11

Two entries smashed into one.

My dorm, Burton-Conner, has a great view of the both domes from just outside the front entrance. This was highly convenient this morning because when I walked out of my dorm to head to Physics I noticed something strange.

What are those pokey things on the small dome? I hastened my way towards physics and while passing the student center I realized what they were.

Birthday candles! Last night hackers snuck onto the small dome and installed giant birthday candles. Happy Birthday J. Arthur Random! Kudos hackers, well done.

Now, for the advice. The summer before I came to MIT I spent working full time and trying to get ready for life on the east coast. This meant learning about weather, types of stores that would be there, and what I needed to take to my dorm. I was discussing this with Sara ’11, MA born and raised, and quickly began to realize that Boston has a bunch of random little quirks about it that nobody but a resident would ever know. That’s cool, Boston people are unique and have special traditions, but it’s not so fun for the tourist and the non-native because all it takes is mispronouncing Worcester once and you’re instantly red-flagged. Anywho, Sara was explaining some stuff to me and she mentioned a couple of songs. I believe her words were:

“If you’re going to live in Boston you need to listen to Tessie and I’m Shipping Up to Boston. A lot.”

I’d never heard of these two songs, so I downloaded them and proceeded to listen to them. A lot. I’m glad I did, because it’s one of the few Bostonian things that actually feel like I know about over a lot of my classmates. Granted, by now we’ve all listened to Dropkick Murphys (the band that plays the two songs) but at the beginning of the year I felt special.

So, prefrosh, or anybody who ever plans on coming to Boston, here’s my advice. Listen to the Dropkick Murphys’s “Tessie” and “I’m Shipping up to Boston.” A lot. I’ve included some YouTube videos in case you’re too lazy to go download these songs.

I’m Shipping Up To Boston

Tessie

Actually, the other day I was heading off to class and as I was leaving the dorm I realized that I was being very Boston. Dressed for cold, I was listening to Tessie on my iPod

and drinking a World Series edition of a coke.

That’s all, have a nice day.

[Post updated to include information about the hack, thanks for tips in the comments]

21 responses to “A Hack and Advice”

1. AwayfromHome says:

Wasn’t going to post (listening to songs), but I saw I might be able to prevent any useless first posts.

Snively, you’ve always got some good advice, thanks for that. As a question, how’d working full time after your senior year work out? Did you find any extra money you (hopefully) earned useful; or, at least, worth the time involved in working? Do you work while at MIT as well? (I haven’t heard anything along those lines)

I’m planning on working as well, but I’m debating just how much.

February comes to an end on a Fraiday today. Can anybody at MIT figure out that how often we have a February month which has exactly 5 Friday’s like this year 2008? What year will be the next one that has a 5-Friday February?

3. Paul says:

I was just about to blog about the hack. I love my school. ^_^

@AwayFromHome

I worked 2 jobs actually, all summer. I had my full time job M-F from 9-6 and then I worked at a carousel every Sunday from 10-6. I’m incredibly glad I did, not only did it make the summer fly by (which you’ll be begging for when you know that MIT is coming) but it also set me up with a couple thousand dollars for college. It’s REALLY nice to have spending money here, it makes Saturday trips for dinner, random online purchases, and other expenditures easier to swallow.

As for working here, I technically have two jobs (but one of them doesn’t really count). I have a UROP in the Media Lab where I work 8 hours a week and I’m a blogger. I blog from wherever I happen to be so that’s really nice. There are all sorts of things you can do for money on campus, and most people take advantage of them some how. Nearly everybody is being paid to do something, it’s just not a typical job like you may think.

5. Morgan '12? says:

i LOVE the dropkick murphies! Great advice, Snively (and Sara!)

6. Khaled Saad says:

LOL another great entery….btw snively, you always refer to “hackers”….who exactly are they (i know they are people that pull intelligent pranks, but i mean do you have to be part of a “hackers club” or somthing like that to hack or can anyone hack?)

7. Justin says:

It wasn’t until I began investigating MIT that I had listened to Dropkick Murphies. All my friends listened to them and one day one of my friends said “dude they’re from Boston, you gotta listen to them!” I did and I fell in love! Those two songs were actually the first I listened to as well (coincidence?) and the third was the song that says “Lets go Murphies! *stomp..stomp…stomp stomp stomp*”. Absolutely love them! Thanks for all the info Snively!

8. OmarA says:

Ahhh, I love I’m Shipping Up To Boston. Such a good song. I remember first hearing it in The Departed.

9. Sondy '07 G says:

Candles are in honor of J. Arthur Random’s 10th birthday, at least that’s word on the street.

10. Ozok says:

The candles may have something to do with J. Arthur Random’s birthday. Wink wink.

Wow. What a dumb hack. I’m sorry, but who exactly is supposed to know that today is J. Arthur Random’s birthday, aside from the <100 people who live in Random? I looked at the dome and said “I…are those…I *think* they’re candles…”
    </rant>
    (Sorry, I’m having a rough day, the snark is on “high”)

12. Today is my 10th birthday, so the candles were put up by some truly amazing people in order to celebrate. If you look closely, you’ll notice the 6th and 4th candles are lit, making 101000 making the number 40 (I’ve been around for 40 years; I was born on a leap day, so despite having been around 40 years, I am celebrating my 10th birthday today).

13. Sara '11 says:

ahaha i remember when i told you to listen to those…
    and what with the world series this year and all, turns out it was pretty good advice =)

14. Becca says:

I think it is every 28 years, so I guess the next time would be 2036.

15. V says:

On another note of Boston bands… I seriously suggest Big D and the Kids Table. Especially the song “Boston” or “New England” (video for NE: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jIM04_zURL4 from their Boston Halloween Show). There is a great Boston ska scene, if your into that. Great music scene in general.

16. Davorama says:

I know how to pronounce Worcester!!!!
    …although I do have to think twice whenever I read it – I sound it out first then switch over. I don’t know what’s worse though – having strange English like that, or living where everything is named after native american words – Ronkonkoma, Patchogue, Nissequogue, etc.

Should I acquire the Boston accent or keep a unique Long Island (or Lawn Gisland) accent?

17. Hey, Snively, I had an idea that sparked from your previous post about how despite the fun times you usually blog about, you still occasionally get pounded by the difficulty of academics at MIT.

How about for a future blog entry, you could interview a bunch of students, including seasoned seniors, and write about some of the more lenient classes that won’t necessarily break a student’s sweat? Say, a course that won’t have you studying at 4:30 in the morning? It’s kind of daunting to always hear about the difficulty of MIT and the ever-present risk of failing classes, esp. since people know that already. It’s MIT, obviously.

Just an idea.

18. Me says:

You know that a hack’s failed if someone has to come to the blogs to explain the intricacies of the hack.

19. Grace '11 says:

dropkick murphys are in boston at the paradise rock club, 3/16 and st. patrick’s day of course!

20. E. Rosser says:

Yeah, SOX! I’ll have everyone know that I was born in Baltimore, and I recently attended an Orioles/Sox game. A bit of a cunundruum, since I was sandwiched at Camden Yards between my Baltimoron parents and my cousins from Boston. So my persuasion was… the Sox. Hey, I left Baltimoe when I was four–I’m good and ready for a new city affiliation wink

21. it takes so much interest in order to join the hacker’s club. Hi Snively, am a hacker from kenya coming to mit in fall this year and hope to share what i have with you and learn so much from you. See ya!