Admitted Students Update by Matt McGann '00
Lots of good and important stuff for both EA and RA admits.
Hello MIT Class of 2013! Here are some things that admitted students should do, now that the entire class has been admitted…
Join the Facebook Group: Facebook is a great place to meet your future classmates and get questions answered by current students. Here it is: MIT Class of 2013. (…and international students can join the international students group!)
Await Financial Aid Info: I know many of you are eagarly awaiting finanial aid information… don’t despair! It will be in the mail on Wednesday, and in your mailboxes soon after that. (This goes for both EA and RA admits who have submitted complete financial aid applications)
Check out your MyMIT Portal: Over at MyMIT, you’ll find a bunch of stuff only available to admitted students, including:
- Campus Preview Weekend Registration: Please register for CPW on April 2 or when your travel plans are solidified, whichever is sooner. Also, when you fill out your CPW registration form, give us as much specific information as you can; this will help us make your CPW experience as good as possible. Finally, please complete the Medical Release Form.
Notes to the wise: if you’re flying in, book your plane tickets early (You may want to consider using Orbitz. Once you create an account you’ll be redirected to the MIT Orbitz page). If your parents are joining you, have them book their hotel early.
- Local Admitted Students Meetings: During MIT Spring Break next week, MIT alumni across the globe will be hosting gathering for the Class of 2013, as nearby campus as Providence, Rhode Island, and as far away as Singapore. There will be meetings in nearly 60 locales, including New York City, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC, Miami, Chicago, and many more. RSVP information is included.
- Class of 2013 Guestbook: Hundreds of your classmates have checked in to introduce themselves. Since only admitted students can enter themselves on the guestbook, it’s a good way to share your contact information securely with your future classmates, and to get emails and screennames to be in touch with fellow MIT 2013s!
- The MIT Reply Form: As soon as you’ve made up your mind for sure about whether or not to attend MIT — after you’ve received your financial aid package, come for CPW, or anything else that you need to make your decision — please let us know your decision through the online reply form. You have three choices: tell us you’re enrolling this fall (Yay! Welcome officially to the MIT Class of 2013!), that you’re declining our offer of admission (it’s okay, we know you’re making the best choice for yourself), or to request a deferral/gap year(s) before enrolling at MIT (for a gap year, military service, or other reason — see future entry for more information on this option). Take as much time as you need to make your decision (and if we can help, please let us know), but be sure to let us know by May 1.
- Overnight Program Registration: If you can’t make it for CPW, don’t despair, you can still come visit through our Overnight Program. Please register at least two weeks in advance, and we’ll do our best to show you MIT.
Finally, Class of 2013, what would you like to see us do blog entries on over the coming month or so? How can we be best helpful for you as you make your college decision?