MIT student blogger Snively '11

College Fair! by Snively '11

v2.0

Hello everybody! I’m still alive, I promise, just not at the computer. I will, however, be at the computer tonight from 8:00PM EST to 10:00PM EST to answer all of your questions about MIT in gory detail. What’s going on?

At CollegeWeek Live! you all can participate in a real-time, 2 day college fair. Actual living, breathing college representatives are manning the booths and answering questions that prefrosh have. Think of it as a live version of the MIT blogs. I’m working the MIT booth tonight from 8 to 10 and am excited to answer your questions. Stop by and say hello, ask some questions, and learn a little about MIT, you’ll be glad you did.

17 responses to “College Fair!”

1. Yan says:

Oh right, thanks for reminding me about this. I’m working the booth from 6-8 tonight!

2. Whkrxwvq says:

perfect design thanks http://www.jamendo.com/en/user/Xmovies “>only free xmovies mpg 23110

3. Paul says:

And I’ll try to be there for a little while tomorrow! If you miss us, you can always email the bloggers with your questions.

4. Kiss '13 says:

Was I the only one who noticed that MIT wasn’t in their participating college list?

5. Victoria says:

Thanks for the help and advice on CollegeWeekLive!

6. Vinay says:

@ Next Year! =) ’14?

I do not have any info on the application process because I am applying the same year as you. (This year.) But I do have good advice on the procrastination thing. JUST FINISH YOUR HOMEWORK! This took me a while to master because I am, regrettably, addicted to MIT. Another thing is that you may think you want to follow in Snively’s shoes, but you actually just want to go to MIT. Don’t mix up the two because, if you get into MIT, you will follow your own path and create your own adventures and stories. This is YOUR life, and that is how you will get yourself to shine on your application. Show yourself through the application, but make sure you do it through interesting essays; don’t be one of those people that brags about experiences they have had and how no other kid has gone through them but them: keep it real.

This is as far as my knowledge can help you, but I hope it did!

7. Vinay says:

P.S. I did not mean to bash Snively by saying you do not want to follow in his foot steps. What I meant is that you may not necessarily want to do everything he does because you have your own interests unique to yourself.

8. Piper '12 says:

@ Next Year ’14 – If you have taken the opportunities you had, if you have the grades, if you’re doing what you’re passionate about, you’ll stand a chance (and realize that “standing a chance” is the best you can get – there’s no guarantee for anyone). They really do consider your background in all of this.

My background was humanities-centric. I didn’t know what USAMO and Siemens were until I applied to MIT. (Heck, I didn’t know what MIT was until junior year of high school…) I just got good grades and rode my horses and flew my planes. I’m telling you this from first hand experience – they really do look at context. I was accepted while some people with lots and lots of numbers and competitions were rejected. Numbers aren’t everything.

Just keep doing what you love and keep your grades up. You’ll stand a chance smile.

9. @ Vinay,

Yeah, I think I am going to try the “JUST DO IT” advice on procrastination — I better learn it before college! Similar to you, I am addicted to these stupid blogs grin.

When I was talking about “following in your shoes” I was not implying necessarily Snively’s, per say , I was talking about like the MIT community as a whole.

Good luck to you in your application process!!!

@ Piper ’12,

It is really nice to see someone be honest and frank about the fact that passion overrides the numbers. Once I get accepted into college (wherever that may be…), the numbers won’t matter anymore, and I better be happy!!!

p.s. I ride horses, too!!! Do you ride competetively? Which discipline?

10. Piper '12 says:

I’m not sure I’d say “overrides”. More like, from what I’ve gathered from admissions officers, they use stats to make sure you’re qualified academically and then everything else (activities, essays, recs) does the rest.

Everything? I started Western Pleasure, switched to Hunters and Jumpers. I definitely prefer Jumpers :D. I stopped for a while, but I plan to start riding again with the MIT Equestrian Team, which just got started up again this past year.

11. @ Piper ’12,

YAYY!!! Hunter Jumpers (and eventing) all the way!! Regardless where I go to school, I plan on being on the Equestrian Team! Although obviously not planning on going pro, it definitely is one of those things that I am not willing to get rid of! There is nothing better to cure stress than a powerful horse underneath you and an iPod blasting in your ears!! grin

12. Tim A. says:

*sigh* the site was having technical difficulties and no one could see my posts.

13. @ Snively ,

I am currently a junior. I have high aspirations of attending a school like MIT. I have taken up all opportunities sent my way thus far in my high school career, although compared to many admits it does not seem as drastic. I come from a small, rural, school that does just enough to get kids to “graduate,” and has the “well we’ve never had a kid go to a school like that before …” guidance councelors; what kinds of things should I be working on to enhance my application? I have a job, I do all the activities that I am passionate about, I take the two AP classes my school offers, I am planning on taking college courses at the local university my senior year, plus have “the numbers…” but I know that that may not be enough to stick out from the crowd of seriously-qualified applicants.

What do you feel was your moment to shine in the application process? Do you have any recommendations for those of us who dream (sometimes too much … leads to procrastination of the current high school work that must get finished…) nonstop of following in your shoes? Any info would be gratefully accepted smile Thanks

14. Anon says:

Kiss ’13: Look carefully.

15. Hey,

I’m an international student from Dubai and actually Indian.

I’m currently studying aeronautical engineering in Dubai and have a 3.8 GPA. Im in my second semester. My SAT is in the 2200’s.

I plan to apply as a transfer, but I hear that its incredibly difficult to get in as a transfer.
    Im really not sure if I stand a chance.

Will it be worth the try, or is transfer admissions way too much for the numbers I have?

Oh I am a pianist, hope to play with the college orchestra.

P.S. – I am having second thoughts… esp since i got rejected when I tried to apply as a freshman, but my SAT score was not as high then.

What are your views ?

Thnx

@Vaz

Transfers are highly competitive, but you won’t get in if you don’t apply.