MIT student blogger Mollie B. '06

Come in, we’re open by Mollie B. '06

I survived moving to my fall room!

(I realize this is silly. But moving is very difficult for me due to a) impatience, b) anal-retentiveness, c) dislike of hard labor, and d) all of the above. If I could wave my magic wand and have all my stuff moved for me, I would.)

My boyfriend, Adam ’07, and I moved to D-Entry of MacGregor today. We had been living in A-Entry for the summer — actually, strictly speaking, I had been living in A-Entry for my first three years at MIT. But I’m moving to D-Entry this year, for reasons that will be very apparent once you realize what a sweet setup we have this year. Adam has always lived in D-Entry. D-Entry is a wonderful place. People like Mitra even hang out here. It’s like one of those celebrity clubs.

Check out our sweet setup:

• The suite door. Adam and I are living in a two-person suite, and we even get our own private door off the main lounge, so that when people are playing Gamecube and/or discussing the political leanings of Jesus at 4 AM, we can shut the door. (Re: the political leanings of Jesus, Mark ’07 and I decided, much to the chagrin of staunch Catholic Seve ’05, that Jesus, were he alive today, would be a Democrat, while Old Testament God would certainly be a Republican.)

• The hallway. This is our little suite. At the end of the hallway there is a supply closet, as well as a box I don’t care enough to unpack yet.

• The bathroom. We get our own private bathroom! Do you like my rubber duck shower curtain? I want a rubber duck mat for outside the shower, too, but Adam is against it.

• The living room. This room is technically assigned to Adam, but it has all my clothes and books in it. We’re using it as a living room and study area, meaning that we get to watch TV in it until we have actual work to do. We have a nice view of Burton-Connor and No. 6, where someone is currently singing opera at a considerable volume.

• The couch. It’s a pull-out, so our guests can sleep in luxury and comfort. (Guests? Who am I kidding?) Also note my sweet poster: “Integrated biochemical signalling in postsynaptic spines”.

• The bedroom. Adam (who is wearing pants, I promise) is installing our air conditioner because it’s stupidly hot (the heat index today was 109F — 42.8C!) and because I whined that I wouldn’t be able to sleep if he didn’t put the AC in. I’m so good at what I do.

• The bed. We shoved our two twin-size beds together to make one GIANT-size bed. And we put them up high so we could store our (okay, my) stuff underneath. The blowup airplane is Adam’s, though.

• Adam installing the AC. Don’t you feel sorry for him? (But wouldn’t you feel sorrier for me if I didn’t have AC tonight?)

4 responses to “Come in, we’re open”

Congrats on the move! I can’t wait to go back to MIT and set up my room. I didn’t know you had a bathtub — that’s pretty suite. (Get it???!?! Hahaha. Sigh.)

Where did you get your shower curtain?? It’s really cute.

2. Xander says:

Thats so cool! I really hope I get accepted , i just got my application form the other day I was nervous looking at the envelope! Looking at your pictures makes me realise how much I want to be there your so lucky! Good luck for the next year

3. Melda says:

mm, sweet setup! i’m looking to get an A/C for my room too, but i dunno which is better, one of those ones that you put in the window, or one that you don’t. what do you recommend?

You’re allowed to live in the same room as a boyfriend? Do you need some kind of special permission for that? I always thought you had to be married.