MIT student blogger Mollie B. '06

Double legacy by Mollie B. '06

...what my kids will be, since I'm marrying somebody from MIT!

Since Ben already spilled the beans, I’ll confirm that, yes, Adam and I are engaged, and we’re planning to be married in September or October of next year. (We’re hoping to have our reception at the Museum of Science — because what better place is there for two MIT grads to have their reception?)

We bought the ring together last week, so I wasn’t entirely surprised today, but he did take me to Killian Court after lunch and say some really mushy things and ask me to marry him. And I said yes! And my ring is unbelievably sparkly and gorgeous!

I’m going to write some stuff about how we met and got together later, but right now we’re going out to dinner to celebrate. :)

MIT doesn’t consider legacy status in admissions — legacy kids aren’t at an advantage compared to the rest of the pool. So basically, all you admissions poohbahs, I’m giving you until 2029 (2006 plus 5 years — when I’m done with grad school — plus 18) to change the policy. :-P (For Karen, below: A legacy is an applicant whose parent(s) attended the school. Some schools give preference to legacy applicants; MIT doesn’t.)

MIT romance
I met Adam in September of my sophomore year at a party at Baker, but I wasn’t really aware of his existence until IAP of that year, when he told our friend Carl ’07 (who’s going to be an usher!) that he had a crush on me. Being a boy, Carl promptly began promoting Adam to me in the most unsubtle way possible, and being a girl, I was totally uninterested.

In March of my sophomore year, Adam and I went to another party at Baker, where we consumed some ethanol and flirted with each other. I kissed him on the cheek, and after we came home he wrote me an IM telling me that he liked me. (Cheesy.)

A few weeks later, a bunch of people were sitting in my room gabbing on a Friday night, including Carl. Adam came upstairs to A-Entry to talk to Carl, and since Carl was in my room, Adam joined the conversation. One by one, everybody in my room left except for Adam, and we stayed up all night talking to each other. The next night, there was a party in D-Entry, and Adam kissed me. And we really haven’t been apart since.

After he proposed in Killian, I got to thinking — I wouldn’t even know him if I hadn’t come to MIT. Kind of weird, to think of the different life I could be leading.

Eeee, we’re getting married!

35 responses to “Double legacy”

Congratulations! How exciting…

Erm. What is legacy status?

2. Hannah says:

Congrats!! Pretty ring smile

3. Kelly says:

Congrats!!! That’s a beautiful ring.

4. Manisha says:

Ahhh so many congratulations!! I know you’ll be sooo very happy together… I look forward to the mushiness :D

5. JKim says:

Congratulations!! You two will have hot babies. :D

6. Timur Sahin says:

First: congrats!

Second: Ahahaha, even in your engagement announcement, you find a way to keep relevent to MIT admissions. So adorable. raspberry

7. AnotherMom says:

Congratulations Mollie and Adam! I hoped for this day to come. May you have many years of joy and happiness. Blessings to both of you.

8. Jared says:

Awesome! Congratulations to both of you!

9. Sulinya says:

Congratulations, Mollie!!!

10. faye says:

CONGRATUMULASHUNS!!!!

Your ring is gorgeousss <3

11. Jon says:

WHA!?!?!?! CONGRATS!!!!

12. Rupiny says:

Congrats!! smile

I hope you two lead a wonderful life together!! :D

13. Aziz '10 says:

Hehehe yeah Ben definitely spilled the beans already, but it’s AMAZING news and I’m SO happy for you. Mollie I really wanna say congratulations and your blogging has made me even more happy for you than I normally would be! I hope to see you this month! All the best!

14. Melis says:

Wahooo! Congrats =) Yay, I’m so happy for you!

15. cemilyd says:

^_^ congratulations!!

I love the Museum of Science, although I’ve only been there a few times – my parents met at MIT too, although they didn’t have nearly as cool of a reception (not, of course, that I was there wink

actually, I kind of like the fact that legacy doesn’t make a difference though – it means I got myself into this school, rather than my parents doing it for me.

Your ring is gorgeous grin

16. Ritu says:

Congratulations Mollie and Adam!

17. Colin says:

This is so exciting! Congratulations!

18. Omar '10 says:

Congrats Again! I’m really happy for both of you smile

19. Melodie says:

grin grin grin grin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! This makes me so happy! Congratulations :-D

20. l0ngL says:

Museum of Science X_x

Wedding, MIT style.

Congrats =D

21. Sylvia says:

Congrats Adam & Mollie! Happy times yays :D!!

22. JKim says:

I kind of breezed through the whole college selection process – I wanted to go one place, and I didn’t realllly spend much time thinking about the possibility of going somewhere else.

But now that I’m set, I can’t help but wonder – what IF I chose somewhere else? I’ve already started to meet and love so many new people, but that never would’ve happened if I didn’t pick MIT. (What a terrible alternate universe!) But then again maybe I totally missed out on something incredible that I can’t even think of, that might’ve happened if I turned MIT down.

I guess we’ll never really know, huh?

23. Minh says:

HIP HIP HURRAH!! Congratulations, Mollie and Adam!

24. Sanja says:

Congratulations to both of you!!!

25. Alex says:

I’m sitting here on your couch as I write this, looking at the bunny, and it just strike me Adam probably has more hair on his back than the bunny does. This being said, I hope you enjoy many years with him with my occasional drop in to denerdify your household. Adeiu.

26. Chris says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Best wishes and happy times to you both. =D

27. Arka'10 says:

Too much exciting grin

Congartualtions both of you….wish you a happy married life…in advance.

28. Henize says:

Congratulations!

that is so sweet !

29. lena says:

congrats! i can’t wait to see your wedding gown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Mollie! But who will be around to blog the wedding?

31. Drew says:

Congratulations!

Karen, legacy status is when a college is more likely to accept students because they have parents or close relatives who went to that college.

32. Sean says:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

33. Charlotte says:

“Congratulations, Mollie! But who will be around to blog the wedding?”

::Looks at Ben with a wide wide smile::

34. congratulations, mollie =).