MIT staff blogger Dean Stu Schmill '86

Having Trouble Reaching Your EC? by Stu Schmill '86

Some advice on getting in touch with your interviewer.

[Editor’s note in 2017: This post contains outdated contact information. If you are having trouble contacting your assigned EC, please email [email protected] or call the Admissions Office at 617-253-3400.]

I have heard from some students that when they contact their EC, it sometimes takes a while to hear a response. Some of this may be attributed to the fact that our ECs are volunteers and have jobs and other commitments that might take them out of the area traveling, or otherwise be temporarily and unexpectedly unavailable.

But there may be other reasons. I know one EC who told me that some of her applicants’ emails wound up in her spam filter. My suggestion is that if you email your EC and don’t hear back within a few days, you should call him or her. If you then don’t hear back within a few days, then you should follow up with the EC office, via email ([email protected]) or phone (617-258-5510).

And, while we are on this topic, a good thing to keep in mind is that when you do call or email your EC, you should identify yourself at the front end, so they know who you are and why you are calling/writing. (And don’t call too late at night, either!)

8 responses to “Having Trouble Reaching Your EC?”

1. glareflair17 says:

Thanks Stu. Will do.

2. Bryan says:

I had this problem at first too. My originally assigned EC didn’t get back to me (and I still haven’t heard from her), so I had to call the Admissions office and get the number for another EC in my area. It just so happened that there was one right on my street!

3. Thuita Maina says:

Thanks Stu for ur advice. I haven’t heard from my interviewer for a long time.

4. Yeah, i had this problem as well. I emailed and called, and called, and called some more, but i didn’t get a reponse, but all you got to do is be presistance, and one time you’ll finally get a hold of them.

5. Nabeel K. says:

Yeah, i had this problem as well. I emailed and called, and called, and called some more, but i didn’t get a reponse, but all you got to do is be presistance, and one time you’ll finally get a hold of them.

My EC has her phone number listed as 000-000-0000, so I hope I don’t have a problem! Thanks for the advice.

7. Hyacinth says:

Not hearing from the interviewer is so bad, cuz I never even get through her by her phone. It has been almost a month since I emailed admission office and [email protected] about the problem(I’ve emailed three times actually), but I got no reply. I doubt whether I’ll ever get an EC!!

8. Bilal Raja says:

I applied as an Early Action applicant to MIT.
    My MIT account said the interview was waived for me, since an EC in the area could not be found.
    I submitted all my other parts of my application and on November 1, I checked my account and everything had been received and had a check mark next to it, including my interview, which was waived.
    However, this morning, Nov. 10, I checked my account and all of a sudden an EC has been found in my area. Isn’t this information too late? The deadline for the interview has passed and my interview was declared waived at the deadline.
    I tried to contact my EC all day, but couldn’t reach him. I tried e-mailing [email protected] and still no reply. Also no-body answers the phone when I call the EC office. Is it too late for me? What should I do?

Please help. Thank you!