MIT student blogger Rachel D. '16

Let There Be Prefrosh! by Rachel D. '16

And let them build ALL the things!

Just one year ago, I had arrived at MIT as a prefrosh, ready to start my new life in Massachusetts.  I came here early to do a pre-orientation program (FPOP) known as FUP, where I got to do all sorts of cool community service projects.  However, this year I decided to apply to be a mentor for the Materials Science FPOP known as DMSE, as well as continue to help with all the cool things going on in the East Campus Courtyard! There are so many exciting things going on, and best of all, THERE ARE SO MANY PREFROSH!

Yes, they are still called prefrosh, and they will be called prefrosh until convocation when President Reif gets on a stage and says that they are frosh.  This is called the conservation of frosh.  Since they are still prefrosh, I am still a frosh, and I have been enjoying my last days as a frosh by taking pictures of people building things in the East Campus Courtyard.

There has been a lot of progress with our four-story fort over the past three days!

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Today they actually finished putting on the third story!

And don’t worry, we care a lot about safety!

There are a lot of other really cool projects going on in addition to our giant fort, such as a swing set and a rotating wheel!

For those of you who have yet to arrive, no need to fret!  There will be plenty of building going on next week, and we are so excited for you all to arrive!

And if you aren’t so much into building or try it out and decide it’s not for you, we will have other events!  Next week there will be hair dyeing, smashing things, and more!

Every dorm will have tons of really cool things going on, and some already do!  While there is building things in East Campus, Simmons has a new movie showing every night.  So if you are looking for something to do, come say hi and hang out!  Upperclassmen get super excited when we see happy prefrosh.

GET EXCITED!!