Laurie Everett

Narrative of Discovery by Laurie Everett

Most people would be hard pressed to tell a story that has both James Watson and Richard Nixon in it

Most people would be hard pressed to tell a story that has both James Watson and Richard Nixon in it, but at MIT, anything is possible.

The MIT Museum’s Soap Box series recently invited MIT molecular biologist Nancy Hopkins to talk about her work with zebrafish and cancer research that begins with taking an undergraduate course in molecular biology with James Watson.

Zebrafish and Cancer: What’s the Connection? is a rich narrative that has many twists and turns, including how she went from being “a mouse person to a fish person” and how a trip to Germany during a sabbatical dramatically changed her research efforts.

You will hear the expression, “the cure for cancer is research” throughout the corridors at MIT, Nancy Hopkins provides a passionate, first person account of the challenges and hopes to finding a cure.

2 responses to “Narrative of Discovery”

1. Monika says:

first post!
    It’s great to see people caring for up-to-day problems. Hopefully they will find a cure for cancer soon.
    In Max-Planck Institute Dresden for Molecular Biology and Genetics they are specialized on zebrafish, and, what is great too- they work together with the people ar´ound them, talk to the people of the city and so on…

2. Solomon says:

It is good to see people take such a healthy stand against cancer.