MIT student blogger Mollie B. '06

Solicitation by Mollie B. '06

You've got questions. I'll have answers tomorrow night.

I have multiple things to admit here.
1. My arms kind of hurt from fixing all the links in all the blog entries ever written… turns out that sitting on my couch or Ben’s couch with my laptop on my lap isn’t exactly the most ergonomic work surface anyone’s ever used.
2. The most exciting thing that’s happened to me in the last few days is that Adam and I went to Harvard Square for ice cream tonight.
3. I’m not feeling particularly inspired to wax philosophical.

So I want questions about life at MIT — the social life, the workload, extracurriculars, living groups, food — whatever. Bonus points if you ask a question so blatantly stereotypical that it makes me get snarky.

Answers tomorrow.

Questions

1. Anonymous wrote

Awwww…. you were such a drama queen!

Here I was thinking you were flawless, and worshipped the ground you walked on.

Haha, I think flawless is about the last word even Adam would use to describe me. In my defense, I’ll say that I’m a lot less of a drama queen than I was in high school… although objectively I suppose there was nowhere to go but down from there. ;)

True story: My friend Stephen ’05, who is from Pittsburgh, visited a bunch of his friends (including Mikey in Michigan, I think?) over Christmas break 2003, and my hometown in Ohio was his first stop. After meeting my high school friends and doing stuff around my hometown for two days, he said to me, “I see now that the drama queen you are at MIT is a pale shadow of the drama queen you were in high school.” Hee.

2. Drew asked,

If someone applies to MIT for grad school, does Pass/No Record still take effect?

No, pass/no record is only for first term freshmen. But really… you don’t need pass/no record in grad school. Grad school is about research, not grades, and is notoriously grade-inflated. Undergrads here take grad classes to raise their GPAs, okay (my GPA in MIT grad classes is 5.0!); grad students are living the good life, at least as far as grading goes.

20 responses to “Solicitation”

For the most part is there an over sense of community, school spirit, unitedness etc among MIT students? And…I know Boston is basically the collegetown of Earth, but do all the students from the diffrent colleges really interact/hang out?

and by over sense i meant overall..my bad

4. Christina says:

Is everyone at MIT ugly?

(;-))

Why are MacGregor students so anti-social?

6. How do you make the professors love you?

If not in their dorm or in class, where would you generally find people hanging out? Especially weekends… Is it common/uncommon to go into Boston a lot or do people generally stay on campus? I know there may not be one answer, but an idea of the atmosphere would be great.

8. Jon says:

as a follow up to the MacGregor question….or an addendum I suppose, you don’t really seem the “anti-social” type…does that mean your entry was not one of these anti-social ones?

9. Joe says:

Iz MiT liek a bunch of nerds and geeks? LoL!!shift1

(A part of me just died typing that. It will be sorely missed.)

Better question: My CPW host and his study group stayed up until about 3 in the morning on one DiffEq pset. Now, I know the workload’s supposed to be massive, but is that about normal for an average pset?

Slightly related, but about how accessable is Jolt/coffee/coke/caffeine/speed/whatever in the dorms?

10. Colin says:

Is it possible to contact the spirit of Ellen Swallow Richards from Lobby 7?

what are your thoughts on marrying so young?

12. JKim says:

What’s your middle name?

13. Nichole '10 says:

As an enthusiastic freshman, I’d love to host prospective students during CPW, or throughout the year…how do you get to do this?

14. Me!!! says:

I am applying for University this year and I have no idea where to apply, besides MIT. What are some other good schools with good physics and computer science programs?

15. Aziz '10 says:

Who’s Adam? ;p

16. Minh says:

Do people..you know…do anything but study, study, study?

KIDDING.

On a more serious note, how is the food in the dining halls/how accesible is it around Cambridge (outside of MIT?) Thanks smile

17. Christina says:

You’re hot. What’s your phone number?

18. Hamster says:

Approximately when is the first snow of the year? I’m from Florida and am looking forward to experiencing real winter, but I’m going to have to buy a lot of new clothes upon arrival… I’m wondering how long I can get away without buying a real winter coat? Right now the warmest thing I have is a regular cotten sweatshirt.

19. Alberto says:

Is like everyone at MIT like really like super smart and like nerdy? (Bonus points for me?)

Better question: When will you be done linking old blogs, and the new page be up? Also, are you doing this for free? I hope Ben is giving you some kind of compensation!

20. thekeri says:

JKim stole my question!

Um. I mean. What’s the food like? ^_^ And if it’s not good, then however will we poor frosh live?

Commence with the snarkiness.