We’re Up To Date! by Matt McGann '00

Tracking your application.

Our fabulous Records Office team has processed all of the mail we have received. Now we’re really ready to read applications!

This is a good time for you to check your application tracking on MyMIT. It will show what materials we have processed for you. We should have the following: Application Part 1, Application Part 2, Secondary School Report and Transcript, Evaluation A, Evaluation B, Testing Requirements (we should have processed most December testing by now), and, if applicable, Interview Report.

What happens if the tracking system is missing something?

First, do not worry. We do not assign blame on why we don’t have it, we just know that we have not processed it. We will not look at your application unfavorably because it is missing an application component at this time. We will wait a while longer before having it evaluated to give you time to send along another copy. There are still many more weeks of reading to be done, so as long as you get us the copies in a timely manner, there will be no impact.

The best way to get us a missing piece is by fax. Our Records Office fax number is (617) 258-8304.

If we are missing an evaluation, the teacher may fax a copy to us. If they need another copy of the evaluation form, you can get a PDF from the tracking system.

If you had an interview more than two weeks ago and we haven’t yet processed it, you should fill out the Conducted Interview form on the MyMIT Application Tracking Detail page. We will follow up with your Educational Counselor.

If we have not processed standardized test scores that that you had the testing agency send us, then you may fax us a copy of an official score report. We will follow up with the testing agency.

As mid-year grades are not yet available for most students, we do not expect that most students have sent in the Mid-Year Grade Report. You should send this in as soon as possible after your grades are available.

Bottom line: do not stress if we are missing pieces. It happens every year for reasons usually beyond your control. No worries.

45 responses to “We’re Up To Date!”

1. Mohan says:

Hi,

I am mohan an international applicant. I submitted all the required scores But I can track only TOEFL. About SAT there is some mistake with my name. Hence, I mailed a letter to admissions office indicating the mistake with my application. Also I e-mailed what the mistake actually was with my name (I received a reply from admissions office saying that” Thank you for your email. We will hold this email, look our for when your test come and add it to your file.”) On 16th JAN I Fax my scores with my name and MIT ID but still I am unable to track my scores on MY MIT. I am not actually worrying about the scores as I am sure that I send them. Please add my scores.

2. Ryan says:

Yo Matt,

Almost three weeks ago I emailed my EC requesting an interview. I have not received a response. I emailed [email protected] a few days ago explaining my situation.

Will MIT look down on me because I have not been interviewed?

What is your experience with admission regarding people with low Verbal/CR scores? Is it difficult to be admitted with a 640 CR score?

Is it bad if I take the same subject test twice to improve my score?

3. Kim says:

Thanks so much for making this non-scary, Matt! …Now I just have to track down my English teacher (who was, last I heard, planning to write recommendations over winter break–hope he had a great holiday *and* remembered) and my guidance counselor, and ask them to fax things in ^.^

I could have sworn, though, that I saw my secondary school report & transcript processed a few weeks ago… before they disappeared again. Quantum mail? hallucination? Anyone else notice the same thing?

4. Alissa says:

Thanks for making us feel more at ease. ^^

I just have one question. I rushed my scores for the UCs at the same time I sent them to MIT, but my testing requirements have not shown up yet. My friend tells me some colleges say that rushed reports actually take longer for them to process, so could this be the reason they haven’t been checked off? I guess I should fax them over tomorrow regardless. smile

5. Yvette says:

Matt-

Thanks for helping out. smile So, I suppose I have to send in another Evaluation B form. Unfortunately it’s the one I don’t have a copy of and was more difficult to get…Is there a chance my Evaluation A and B are together but only one got processed??? *wishful thinking*

6. Dhrubo says:

Dear Matt:

I sent my application via DHL, and the DHL tracking system shows that it has been received on 27th December by M DIAMOND. But, I haven’t yet received the MIT online tracking number via my email account. Since you people have already processed all app materials, shouldn’t I be getting an MIT app ID via email by now? Or should I be worried? Pls advise…

7. anonymus says:

Matt,

Firstly, thanks a lot for updating us with all the information. The reconds team is certainly great. But, I am faced with a problem. I am from India and from a school where they have never written reports and recommendations. The problem is that my secondry school report isn’t showing up though I sent it along with other application pieces the reciept of which is confirmed by the tracking system. Secondry implies 10th for my school and that is according to what they have filled in my school report. Is that right? In the fear that it is not, I sent in all my results of grade 11 and 12 also. So what should I do now?

8. Saned says:

Matt help!!!

My schoolsent everything in one envelope and everything is on the tracking system except the secondary school report which was 100% sent. My school resumes on Feb 7th what should I do?!!

plz reespond quickly

MATT MATT MATT MATT MATT MATT WHERE ARE U?

10. Arturo says:

Same problem here, I am extremely and absolutely confident both my Evaluations A and B were in the same package, but only one shows up as processed… I guess I’ll just wait for a couple of days now. Thanks a lot, though, for letting us know about this, Matt. Seriously, you guys have made this whole process so much easier.

11. Arka says:

Yay!!!!

My application is shown complete.

Thanx a lot Matt and everyone their in the processing unit for working that hard to have our applications showed up right before the Admission committee.

Thank you very much!

12. Xing Wei says:

Matt,

I have already sent out all the materials last month, but I am still unable to track my status online. Please contact me as soon as possible. Thanks a lot.

13. Sid says:

Dear Matt,

How may I ascertain whether the supplementary materials and the financial aid documents I sent have been received and processed?

Sincerely,

Sid.

14. me? says:

Good job on getting everything processed. Now that it’s all in though, any chance we can have a word on the number of total applicants? smile

15. Amit says:

Hello Matt! I am a student from India. I have sent all the mailing materials directly to MIT’s main address, instead of the Undergraduate Office at MIT. Will this cause a problem?

Regards,

Amit

16. George says:

OH GOD. It sure feels good to be sure everything reached the Admissions Office with no problem, especially for us international applicants.

Good job!

17. Wow, thanks for all the hard work getting everything processed, and thank you for making the process much less stressful for us, i think we all appreciate it smile. Oh, and have a good night sleep!

BTW Question, even if we fax you a copy of the letter of rec, did you want us to remail a hardcopy of the rec?

18. Hi Matt,

Thank you for the update. My application is missing my december SAT subject test scores,and I do not have an official report yet(I guess it takes them longer to reach Africa,Uganda). I am worried, and I do not know what to do.

worried soul

19. U3 says:

hope the guys at the office had a good laugh on reading my application. My dad thinks u guys must’ve used it as toilet paper. But I know that MIT is good to the environment and probably recycled my application.

20. Victoria says:

Hooray! Thank you for letting us know!

21. Phil says:

I guess my teacher eval B never got to the office, so I need to fax it. But my ACT scores are something different. Have you all just not downloaded the December ACT results? My other schools received the ACT scores, which is why I ask.

Thanks for everything,

Phil

22. Yi says:

I just got a Science Fair award. Is it too late to send it to you? I can send it in by using fedex.

23. Edward says:

Hi Matt!

Pliz thank all the guys at the records department for all their good work.

However, I still have a problem.

My SAT 1 and TOEFL scores still dont show up. I did them in June and April 2005 respectively. I’ll fax them in a few days.

Do you anticipate that I may have to have the testing agencies re-send them to you?

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

24. Rodrigo says:

Matt,

I have just realized that I made a very small mistake in my App part 2. The correction of that information may not seem too crucial, but I won’t sleep in peace until I know if there’s any way to correct it…

Long life to MIT!!!

25. Troy says:

For potential MIT students, the cluelessness of the commenters is amazing.

Does anybody knows if I have to send the Mid – Year Report even if I’m not assisting an U.S school system? Please answeer mee!

29. Saad says:

Hey Matt. I’m from Pakistan and I have the same problem as Ryan; I called my EC and e-mailed him several times to schedule an appointment but got no response whatsoever. The Interview deadline passed weeks ago. The wierd thing is that at frst I was told that there was no EC in my area and my interview has been waived. What should I do?

30. Seye Adeyemi says:

Matt,

Pls how do i get to track my application on my MIT?I dont have MIT ID yet.

31. Siddharth says:

u guys honestly have the best intro’s to ur posts i have ever seen :D

for example, “i am mohan an international applicant” (for some reason i just think that’s hilarious), and then priyanka decides to open with, “I am in awe”. and i would agree, it IS freaking sweet… on a side note, where r u from, priyanka?

32. Bryan says:

I am still in the process of getting my supplementary materials together. I was told that anytime in January is fine. Is that still true?

33. Priyanka says:

I am in awe.

MIT sent me my ID number, and I checked the tracking page. Everything was processed! I am so pleasantly surprised! Thanks for working so relentlessly to get everything done.

It was so painless to apply here that even if I am rejected, I would not regret applying. MIT’s application process was refreshingly easy for the APPLICANT, which is, for lack of a better term, freaking SWEET.

34. Kim says:

Saned–I had the same problem; my school sent in the secondary school report well before the deadline, but it hadn’t shown up a few days ago! When I called MIT to check on it, it turned out that although the report/transcript had been filed, it just hadn’t been added to the system yet. Maybe this piece just takes longer for whatever reason and the same thing happened in your case.

35. Courtney says:

I have a similar predicament as some others…I’m pretty sure my evaluation A and B were sent in, but only eval A shows up. Any possibility that B just got misfiled?

36. Nina Toleva says:

Hi, Matt!

I have sent my application via ordinary air mail. Yesterday I tried to track my application, but there was a required ID which I do not know. Please tell me how to proceed and how to get my ID. Thanks smile

Nina

37. i’m echoing bryan!

please say we can still send in stuff!

I have a question

I heard from an MIT guy that I could keep sending you guys stuff after the application date for activities updates. How late into the game can I send this? I know you guys give desicions by the end of febuary, but there’s this one contest that I won’t hear from until mid-febuary…

Hi Nina a confirmation letter will be sent to you by MIT. It will reach you in two to three weeks after they received and processed your application. In that confirmation letter they will provide you with MIT ID by which you can track your application also You can use this ID for future reference.

P.S: I think (as mentioned by BEN and Mcgann) this is the busy period in the year hence, the processing of application will be delayed. But as of JAN 17 they said that they completed the processing so I think you are on the way to receive the confirmation letter.

40. M says:

Anonymous – M

41. Nina Toleva says:

Thanks Anonymous!:) I was worried because I did not know whether all with my application was ok. And… I am still worried smile Which I think is normal smile /or I hope is normal:)/. Again, thank you very much and have a nice day and week smile

42. Hi!

I’m from the Philippines and I sent my secondary school report, teacher eval a and b and fee waiver application early last December from California; but the track says that you still haven’t received them! Do I need to send another copy?!

To Nina from previous anonymous

Don’t worry, to free from from all type of worries you can just call MIT and contact them about this directly. Although they wouldn’t tell you the ID on phone or online(for its privacy) they would help when it will exactly reach you or If your application is processed.

See my scores are not processed till yesterday. I just didn’t worry but I call them directly and Also fax my original score reports. Then now they are processed.

PS: Finally our applications are on the desk of admission office for approval of our admission.

Good luck to every one.

Also wish me good luck.

Hi,

Just wondering, when’s the latest date we can send in additional info about awards, honors, etc? Thanks!

45. Saurav says:

Hey Matt!

I’m wondering what’s happened to my Part II MIT Application, which I submitted online. I submitted it 7 or 8 weeks ago, but the the box next to the Part II Application is still blank (although the Part I and all the other boxes are marked). Despite the lack of tick marks, I cannot access my part II application from MyMIT and if I click on Application Tracking Details, it shows “Java Null Point Exception” and other scary stuff.

I’ll try not to panic till I receive your reply.

Thanks.