Mollie B. '06

Aug 1, 2006

Double legacy

Since Ben already spilled the beans, I'll confirm that, yes, Adam and I are engaged, and we're planning to be married in September or October of next year. (We're hoping to have our reception at the Museum of Science -- because what better place is there for two MIT grads to have their reception?)

We bought the ring together last week, so I wasn't entirely surprised today, but he did take me to Killian Court after lunch and say some really mushy things and ask me to marry him. And I said yes! And my ring is unbelievably sparkly and gorgeous!

I'm going to write some stuff about how we met and got together later, but right now we're going out to dinner to celebrate. :)

MIT doesn't consider legacy status in admissions -- legacy kids aren't at an advantage compared to the rest of the pool. So basically, all you admissions poohbahs, I'm giving you until 2029 (2006 plus 5 years -- when I'm done with grad school -- plus 18) to change the policy. :-P (For Karen, below: A legacy is an applicant whose parent(s) attended the school. Some schools give preference to legacy applicants; MIT doesn't.)

MIT romance
I met Adam in September of my sophomore year at a party at Baker, but I wasn't really aware of his existence until IAP of that year, when he told our friend Carl '07 (who's going to be an usher!) that he had a crush on me. Being a boy, Carl promptly began promoting Adam to me in the most unsubtle way possible, and being a girl, I was totally uninterested.

In March of my sophomore year, Adam and I went to another party at Baker, where we consumed some ethanol and flirted with each other. I kissed him on the cheek, and after we came home he wrote me an IM telling me that he liked me. (Cheesy.)

A few weeks later, a bunch of people were sitting in my room gabbing on a Friday night, including Carl. Adam came upstairs to A-Entry to talk to Carl, and since Carl was in my room, Adam joined the conversation. One by one, everybody in my room left except for Adam, and we stayed up all night talking to each other. The next night, there was a party in D-Entry, and Adam kissed me. And we really haven't been apart since.

After he proposed in Killian, I got to thinking -- I wouldn't even know him if I hadn't come to MIT. Kind of weird, to think of the different life I could be leading.

Eeee, we're getting married!

Congratulations! How exciting...

Erm. What is legacy status?

Posted by: Karen on August 1, 2006

Congrats!! Pretty ring smile

Posted by: Hannah on August 1, 2006

Congrats!!! That's a beautiful ring.

Posted by: Kelly on August 1, 2006

Ahhh so many congratulations!! I know you'll be sooo very happy together... I look forward to the mushiness :D

Posted by: Manisha on August 1, 2006

Congratulations!! You two will have hot babies. :D

Posted by: JKim on August 1, 2006

First: congrats!

Second: Ahahaha, even in your engagement announcement, you find a way to keep relevent to MIT admissions. So adorable. raspberry

Posted by: Timur Sahin on August 1, 2006

Congratulations Mollie and Adam! I hoped for this day to come. May you have many years of joy and happiness. Blessings to both of you.

Posted by: AnotherMom on August 1, 2006

Congratulations!

Karen, legacy status is when a college is more likely to accept students because they have parents or close relatives who went to that college.

Posted by: Drew on August 1, 2006

Awesome! Congratulations to both of you!

Posted by: Jared on August 1, 2006

Congratulations, Mollie!!!

Posted by: Sulinya on August 1, 2006

CONGRATUMULASHUNS!!!!

Your ring is gorgeousss <3

Posted by: faye on August 1, 2006

WHA!?!?!?! CONGRATS!!!!

Posted by: Jon on August 1, 2006

Congrats!! smile

I hope you two lead a wonderful life together!! :D

Posted by: Rupiny on August 2, 2006

Hehehe yeah Ben definitely spilled the beans already, but it's AMAZING news and I'm SO happy for you. Mollie I really wanna say congratulations and your blogging has made me even more happy for you than I normally would be! I hope to see you this month! All the best!

Posted by: Aziz '10 on August 2, 2006

This is so exciting! Congratulations!

Posted by: Colin on August 2, 2006

grin grin grin grin

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! This makes me so happy! Congratulations :-D

Posted by: Melodie on August 2, 2006

Museum of Science X_x

Wedding, MIT style.

Congrats =D

Posted by: l0ngL on August 2, 2006

Congrats Adam & Mollie! Happy times yays :D!!

Posted by: Sylvia on August 2, 2006

Congratulations to both of you!!!

Posted by: Sanja on August 2, 2006

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Best wishes and happy times to you both. =D

Posted by: Chris on August 2, 2006

Too much exciting grin

Congartualtions both of you....wish you a happy married life...in advance.

Posted by: Arka'10 on August 2, 2006

Congratulations!

that is so sweet !

Posted by: Henize on August 2, 2006

congrats! i can't wait to see your wedding gown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lena on August 2, 2006

Congratulations, Mollie! But who will be around to blog the wedding?

Posted by: Sam on August 2, 2006

Thrilled! grin

Posted by: Christina on August 2, 2006

Wahooo! Congrats =) Yay, I'm so happy for you!

Posted by: Melis on August 2, 2006

^_^ congratulations!!

I love the Museum of Science, although I've only been there a few times - my parents met at MIT too, although they didn't have nearly as cool of a reception (not, of course, that I was there wink

actually, I kind of like the fact that legacy doesn't make a difference though - it means I got myself into this school, rather than my parents doing it for me.

Your ring is gorgeous grin

Posted by: cemilyd on August 2, 2006

Congratulations Mollie and Adam!

Posted by: Ritu on August 2, 2006

Congrats Again! I'm really happy for both of you smile

Posted by: Omar '10 on August 2, 2006

I kind of breezed through the whole college selection process - I wanted to go one place, and I didn't realllly spend much time thinking about the possibility of going somewhere else.

But now that I'm set, I can't help but wonder - what IF I chose somewhere else? I've already started to meet and love so many new people, but that never would've happened if I didn't pick MIT. (What a terrible alternate universe!) But then again maybe I totally missed out on something incredible that I can't even think of, that might've happened if I turned MIT down.

I guess we'll never really know, huh?

Posted by: JKim on August 2, 2006

HIP HIP HURRAH!! Congratulations, Mollie and Adam!

Posted by: Minh on August 2, 2006

I'm sitting here on your couch as I write this, looking at the bunny, and it just strike me Adam probably has more hair on his back than the bunny does. This being said, I hope you enjoy many years with him with my occasional drop in to denerdify your household. Adeiu.

Posted by: Alex on August 2, 2006

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Sean on August 2, 2006

"Congratulations, Mollie! But who will be around to blog the wedding?"

::Looks at Ben with a wide wide smile::

Posted by: Charlotte on August 3, 2006

congratulations, mollie =).

Posted by: little miss demosthenes on August 7, 2006