Anthony R. '09

Mar 18, 2006

Poaching Imagination

In just a few hours, you'll know whether or not you have the option of spending four years at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Yes, that's right. In just a few hours, a simple flick of a cursor, a click of a mouse button. Many childhoods of anticipation will come to an abrupt end. No more hope, no more setting up webcams in mailboxes, no more dreaming about big envelopes the way you used to dream about reindeer.

You're just going to know.

This is the most eloquent post I have read yet.

Posted by: Ceci on March 18, 2006

This is a great post!

Posted by: Edward on March 18, 2006

yeah...nice to come face to face with reality...without all the lace and frills...just the plain, bare truth. Thanks for acknowledging it:)Good Luck to all of us!

Posted by: 0 on March 18, 2006

^ me:)

Posted by: Mushal on March 18, 2006

Indeed a very true observation. Good luck to everyone, I hope we'll all get to meet this fall smile

Posted by: nicolo on March 18, 2006

Finally, someone confronts the binary reality.

You're in, or you're out. Plain and simple. Hopefully I'm the former smile

Posted by: Phil on March 18, 2006

It is a painful feeling. I can not do anything this day. Waiting for the enchanted moment.

Posted by: C Minh on March 18, 2006

Webcam in mailbox? Who does that? For me I'll wait till Monday or Tuesday. Good luck to my fellow applicants.

Posted by: Dapo on March 18, 2006

Well said

Posted by: yaz on March 18, 2006

I feel like I'm waiting for a golden ticket in a Wonka bar.

Thanks for the entry. Open honesty calms me.

Posted by: Justine on March 18, 2006

:D!!!!!!!!

Yes, I took the digital path, and I know, and I am so incredibly happy right now...

Posted by: Timur Sahin on March 18, 2006

Dapo, there was a student back in MIT '08 who did that (he was accepted). smile

Posted by: Anthony on March 18, 2006

I have to admit, there was nothing quite like the rush of sitting there pondering whether to click the button.

Posted by: Christine on March 18, 2006

Hey Anthony, I failed MIT. =(

It was great meeting you back in, uh, October(?) but I guess I won't have the pleasure of being your dorm mate. I really was going to try to be in your dorm; all of you in Third East are the most awesome people ever.

Posted by: dyzzy on March 18, 2006

I think someone else said this already, but "Oh, snap." I'll still come visit you sometime anyway. =)

Posted by: Catherine on March 22, 2006

I absolutely agree: This is the actual bridge between childhood and adulthood; between a basketful of jolly surprises and a basketful of depressing disappointments.

Posted by: Hanlu on March 24, 2006

Try visiting India next time.The mosquitoes are waiting for you!!!!!

Posted by: 0 on March 25, 2006

Wow talk about giving people a dose of reality. You are corrupting the young pre-froshies who are full of excitement! Can I suggest something more cheery next time around....

Posted by: 0 on March 30, 2006

Paper pwns.

Posted by: Sandy on April 10, 2006