MIT student blogger Yan Z. '12

A Heartbreaking Lunch of Staggering Genius by Yan Z. '12

I'll write about campus dining some other day.

Three days of Manhattan ended on Monday afternoon beneath a dripping tarp in the dregs of Chinatown, torrents of rain flushing from the sky and breaking like bones on the trash-encrusted sidewalk. Jess Lin and I waited for the bus from NYC to Boston in a cramped doorway whose grimy sides I avoided lest I get salmonella poisoning, or cancer, or, worse still, a slathering of MSG. We’ve skillfully missed two buses already. We’ve bought cursory custard buns and huddled in a cafeteria-style bakery under a raucous downpour of Cantonese vernacular. We’ve regretfully purchased a bag of dried squid meat from a pungent Chinese grocery dig that sold at least five (5!) distinct brands of dried squid meat. By “we” in the last sentence, I mean “Yan, who privately enjoys the briny gristle of dehydrated squid flesh.”

Twixt bus stop to the East and hot dog stand to the West, as the ungentle rain smashed into flooded streets and scoured my shoes to black polished submarines, I suffered a J.D. Salinger moment. A sigh sprouted like a mushroom in my lung. “Dangit Jess, we’re getting old.” You probably could have strung a jade necklace from the jadedness of my tonal inflection. Jess disagreed, unbitingly. I can’t blame her much; Jess and I have weathered hundreds of tiny, inane conversations over the trickling course of our road trip, mostly inspired by the one of us that is not Jess Lin. We have discussed neckties and Israel. We have talked about buying grapes and running shoes. We have argued over street directions, and I have bet my left kidney on the infallibility of my internal compass. Did you know that Jess Lin now owns one of my kidneys?

Somewhere along the way, in the midst of dispossessing my own kidney and grapethirsting for ripe green unwashed street fruit and watching rain flinging against skyscrapers, I became irreversibly disillusioned by a formula of two parts character-building and one part gastronomical splurge. Everyone knows that character-building stories are for bloggers who secretly want to be Charles Dickens on the weekend so I’ll skip right ahead to exfoliating the gastronomical splurge/disillusionment causality.

My Manhattan bildungsroman can be nutshelled in a single hyphenated proper noun: Jean-Georges. Jean-Georges is to French cuisine as Citizen Kane is to American cinema: the darling of unsparing critics, the jaw-dropping-mouth-watering masterpiece whose glowing accolades could light a small city after sunset. One of seven Michelin three-star restaurants in the U.S., one of five New York Times four-star restaurants, and probably the only restaurant ever whose menu includes the words “gewurtztraminer” and “garbanzo beans” in the same line, Jean-Georges towers at a dizzying altitude near the pinnacle of haute cuisine. It’s so haute, it’s practically radioactive.

At skin depth, Jean-Georges is the type of celebrity-festooned establishment in Uptown Manhattan that pampers to the effete relaxations of the rich and powerful and occasionally hungry. This is grossly ignoring the simple truth that chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten is this awesome guy who squeezes every last drop of eyewatering deliciousness from everything he touches. The result is heartbreak served on a gold-monogrammed platter worth more than your first car. Your tongue develops emotional separation issues of its own as each unforgettable unregrettable morsel departs into the deep, dark tunnels of your digestive system without a goodbye. You walk out of the restaurant in need of a therapist.

[Let’s pause a moment here to appreciate the democratizing effects of the Internet. In another century, the marble-framed double-glass doors of Jean-Georges would have flexed their hinges for nary a backpack-hauling plebe such as myself. Fortunately, we now live in an enlightened age in which bloggers and YouTubers and Internet mavens are rightfully respected for their brainwashing influence on cultural taste. It’s no surprise then that anyone with a computer (and a monitor, and a keyboard, and a mouse, and a . . . you get the idea) can score an online reservation for Jean-Georges and expect to be served a perfectly-orchestrated, world-class meal in the same room as patrons whose socioeconomic class hovers somewhere in the upper stratosphere (as long as said patron doesn’t show up in jeans. Jean-Georges is not amused by jeans.)]

Case in point: When away from campus on vacation, I turn into a crumbly juxtaposition of stereotypical starving MIT student and crazed gourmande. On Monday morning, I woke up on a friendly couch in New Jersey, pulled myself into uniformly wrinkled semiformal attire, tripped down the block to the nearest grocery store (which only took cash and only identified fruits/vegetables in Spanish), purchased and drank half a box of Vitasoy for breakfast, grabbed Jess Lin, jumped on a bus for lunch at Jean-Georges at noon, got stuck in traffic under the Hudson, grudgingly bought a subway ticket at 11:55 AM, panicked after a glimpse clockward, bolted out into Columbus Circle at 12:03 PM, ran in the wrong direction, ran back, turned around, located 1 Central Park Ave., accidentally walked into the hotel next door, was kindly redirected by a bellboy, skidded three doors down and crashed into the calm, courteous glance of a well-trained receptionist who hardly flinched as she arched an eyebrow and politely intoned, “Reservation?”

Jess and I were seated with overbearing assistance by the waiter, who insisted on pulling both of our beige plush leather chairs out one micrometer at a time. I swear, he would start to nudge my chair back at a glacial pace, I would imperceptibly bend my knees in anticipation of assuming the final sedentary position, and then he would start to pull the chair again, to which I would respond by instinctively jerking upwards lest I hinder the delicate progress of his chair-moving. Anyway, eventually I sat.

NY2 034

I still can’t decide whether the literary territory of Jean-Georges’ seasonal lunch menu is closer to high-end bathroom-reading material or minimalist avant-garde poetry. Charred corn ravioli? Couscous and cockles? Caper-raisin emulsion? Roasted sweetbreads, pickled peach, wild arugula, and pink peppercorn? There’s at least a dozen unwritten haiku on this page.

NY2 035

Not to mention the dessert menu, which deserves showcase in the Museum of Modern Art.

NY2 053

A stiff, earthy slice of rye sufficed for the initial ritual of complimentary bread tasting. Jess sipped her $6 lime soda, and I pretended to converse with her while creepily scouring neighboring tables hoping to catch an eyeful of celebrities on lunch break.

NY2 036

The zeroth course* was a lively trio of amuse-bouche, each appetizer designed to be swallowed, slurped, or gulped in a single rapturous mouthful. Jean-Georges’ rendition playfully flirted along the hem of molecular gastronomy. I started with an intensely red cube of compressed watermelon topped with a shiso vinaigrette, which together tasted like the inside of a Los Angelos Mexican produce market. Interesting and stylish. Next was a Chinese soup spoon cradling a poached quail egg topped with bacon, a creamy concoction that lit on the perfect balance between velvety egg and crunchy pork bits. Last was a shot of corn chowder, laced with minty unnamed herbs.

*Whatever, it came before the first course. If the nominal convention of starting at zero is good enough for thermodynamics, it’s good enough for yours truly.

NY2 037

Jess and I became instant fans of the quail egg. We tantalized ourselves with the idea of covertly raising quail in the dorm closets and slurping their eggs half-cooked in cereal spoons for breakfast.

NY2 039

Course one was young garlic soup with thyme and sauteed frog legs for Jess.

NY2 041

NY2 042

With a tip of the proverbial hat to French decadence, I ordered a dessert-like foie gras cr√®me brulee with slow-roasted strawberries. What follows can only be expressed in the present tense. The server gently rests the plate down, announces the name of the dish, and commands, “Enjoy.” I crack the brittle shell of caramelized sugar with the tip of my fork, dig into the velvety goose liver, excavate a buttery caramel-colored forkful of creamy strata, lift it and bite down. I nearly have an aneurysm. “Jess!” I gurgle thickly through a fog of diminishing linguistic ability, “This is the greatest thing I have ever eaten.” My intended speech of unadulterated joy is curtailed because I’d rather use my tongue to smother every last molecule of the foie gras in thick warm hugs.

NY2 044

Imagine: savory liver, creamy as gelato and rich as butter, dovetailing with tangy morsels of strawberries that peek coquettishly under the smoky crisp of browned sugar. It felt like eating your favorite childhood dessert for breakfast one day and then winning the lottery. Don’t ask me to describe it any further than that.

NY2 046

So then the server brings Jess a finger-bowl with rose petals to rinse the frog residue off her fingers and Jess starts talking to me about how I was right about Jean-Georges bringing out finger-bowls between courses and I could have my kidney back and so on and so forth and blah blah blah, oh my god that was the best thing I have ever eaten I can’t even use a comma right now.

NY2 047

And then the server brings Jess her veal with roasted artichokes, parmesan and lavender, and the server is saying something about spoons that I can’t hear because I’ve lost the ability to decompose sound waves into English because I’m narcotically lapsing into a vegetative state as I fantasize about the geese in Central Park and the cr√®me brulee and strawberries that is surely buried inside their livers.

NY2 049

And then the server brings out my red snapper crusted with nuts and seeds and drizzled with sweet and sour jus. It’s spectacular; the tender flesh under a crust of seeds and spices flakes off beautifully and tastes as fresh as spring herbs sprouting from the salty earth. The sauce is silky-mellow, gracefully balancing subtle notes of butter and bright sweet/sour timbres that sirenously urge me to drench it over every bite of fish. The miniature garden of cherry tomatoes and sweet onions cradling the snapper is ripe and delightful and makes me want to live on a farm in rural France.

NY2 050

About 3/4ths of the way through, I discover a strong desire to wash my face in the sauce.

NY2 052

Complimentary desserts were a duet of macarons (creme-filled pastries of almond flour and egg whites) and a selection of chocolates, which Jess and I empirically determined to be hazelnut, mint, coconut, and some sort of salty fruit. Everything was outstanding but would have been infinitely better with a slab of goose liver on the side. Jean-Georges will be reading that on my restaurant comment sheet sometime in the near future.

NY2 054

Another server-type guy came around with a cart, pulled a roll (?) of homemade marshmallows out of a jar, and cut off four cubes with a large pair of scissors. I felt that these needed some goose liver on top too.

NY2 055

Jess and I then bid goodbye to a small chunk of our bank accounts and walked out the door. I took a picture for posterity. It’s pretty much the most expressive photograph I have ever created.

NY2 057

And that’s how it ended- far and away the best meal I have ever had at any restaurant. Two hours later, as I stood quagmired on a dingy Chinatown sidewalk in drenched dress shoes, the dazzle slowly melted into sadness souped with sighs. Even Jess noticed me being all angsty and artistic and disillusioned for no apparent reason. Later, when I could speak coherently again, I told Jess that it was the bitter fact that I would never, ever experience Jean-Georges again for the first time ever. (If this is in fact how I phrased it, Jess was probably stunned by my powers of redundant expression. “Never experience for the first time again.”) Could it be that by dining at the world’s best restaurant, I had ruined countless meals in my future that I could have otherwise savored? Have I accidentally skewed my gastronomical standards to impossible, Everest-scale heights? Will I never reclaim the humble yet overprocessed honesty of my casual relationship with cheap college fare?

And then I paused and said to myself, well, there’s always bacon salt.

33 responses to “A Heartbreaking Lunch of Staggering Genius”

1. Dave says:

sooooo hungry now. I’m sure a burrito from Anna’s will be just as satisfying as the garlic soup, right?

2. FuLanKe says:

“Never experience for the first time again.”- Great quote!

Though I think you might still be able to find better food than Jean-Georges’ somewhere.

3. NathanArce says:

“turn into” on vacation? :3 It sounds like you just become as much of one as you were first term, hahahah.

Love the food pics!! :F Made me hungrier than usual, and I just ate lunch an hour ago! (and I need to fix that schedule)

4. NathanArce says:

(the first part being about your so-called stereotypical starving behavior, lol)

5. Yan says:

@ FuLanKe:

No doubt I’ve had “better” meals, depending on the precise usage of “better.” Never underestimate a good, cheap curry with enough spices to warrant a bomb threat. It’s hard not to drip with stereotypical French snootiness when talking about three-star restaurants, but I try to keep it real, yo.

@ Nathan:

Shift another two hours in either direction and you’re perfect for MIT.

6. navdeep says:

really loved the pics …
    and the description of ‘foie gras cr√®me brulee’ was really mouth watering

7. cHaRlEs says:

One of these days I want to go to a snobby 5-star high-class restaurant that requires formal attire, completely (utterly, epicly) rocker’d, goth’d, punk’d, or raver’d out. And bring a large party of friends in the proper dress code, and see if they let us in.

What is more valuable to a snooty eating place? The money, or the appearance of one guest?

I, as a crusader against obsolete customs and useless formalities, want to find this out.

8. Yan says:

@ cHaRlEs (wow, it hurt to type that):

Jean-Georges doesn’t really need the money by the looks of their overbooked, over-fancied dining room, but you have my support anyway. I think.

9. cHaRlEs says:

also, taco bell > *. if i went to another city i’d hunt down the nearest taco bell (or equivalent) immediately.

10. Yan says:

Hey guys, did you know that Charles sold his right of free speech to Taco Bell?

11. cHaRlEs says:

i did?! well damn, i don’t even get free tacos in return. those bastards. hmph.

12. cHaRlEs says:

hmm, it must have been in the same box of crap that I kept my soul in. cuz i can’t find it either.

13. FuLanKe says:

@Everyone/Anyone
    What’s your favourite food?

Charles – Tell me when you do this so I can film it wink

15. as says:

Those are not complimentary desserts. They’re the predesserts, known as mignardises.

I love this post so much! Thanks for taking the time.

17. Yan says:

@ as:

Thanks for expanding my French vocab., but I’m not sure I’m willing to acknowledge the distinction. Also, Jean-Georges serves them after dessert proper, not before.

my not unsubtle mind struggled semi-mightily to grasp in its all too ominous pinchers [not of the doberman variety] the dense soupy [picture of soup attached] ferric fog of this turgidly, self-important prose. I managed 2 paragraphs before the overwhelmingly negative costbenefitness of the otherwise transcendental experience …………………………zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

it’s 8pm here and I still haven’t had dinner… and now this.

20. cHaRlEs says:

meals should have exactly 1 course

and that is OM NOM NOM.

21. Luke says:

Yan! What camera do you use? Your pictures are awesome =)

22. j says:

before the grand dessert/dessert proper is the predessert; after grand dessert is with mignardises with coffee.

23. Yan says:

@ Luke:

Thanks, it’s a Canon Powershot G9. Jean-Georges has probably the best ambient light for food photography that I’ve seen in any restaurant. It felt like the walls were 80% glass. Nice view of Central Park while you’re at it.

Although if you go for dinner, getting a respectable white balance is murderously hard.

24. Jess Lin says:

I’m pretty sure I didn’t give back your kidney. But if I had Jean-Georges cook it for me, it would be salty.

25. NathanArce says:

copypasta-ing cHaRlEs is so much easier than typing it :/ Why bother with the latter? And I’ve been to a very formal restaurant in my standard attire (read: ultra-casual, t-shirt+cargo pants) once before, but I was only 15, so that’s probably why they could ignore me, lol.

26. Kimberly '13 says:

Another great post. Yan, could you tell me how much it cost to travel by bus from New York to Boston and how long does it take. Thanks.

27. Yan says:

@ Kimberly:

15 bucks, 4-5 hours. Try not to catch rush hour.

28. “I’m narcotically lapsing into a vegetative state as I fantasize about the geese in Central Park and the cr√®me brulee and strawberries that is surely buried inside their livers.”

Best. Quote. Ever. Hahahaha… :-D

What a wonderful review! And you used zeroth in true geek fashion. Love it! ;-D

29. Tarun says:

Great post, Yan. What coordinates would you assign to this meal in the taste-health plane if I chose the origin to be a plebe’s usual meal (averaged over a week if you like)?

30. Yan says:

@ Tarun:

Hard to say. Health didn’t even register on my thought radar during the course of the meal- I was too busy exploring the far outskirts of the taste axis, so to speak.

31. Alex ('14??) says:

I always love reading your blog posts, but this is the best one. Lines that kept me laughing were ones such as “the server is saying something about spoons that I can’t hear because I’ve lost the ability to decompose sound waves into English because I’m narcotically lapsing into a vegetative state as I fantasize about the geese in Central Park and the cr√®me brulee and strawberries that is surely buried inside their livers.”.

You’re the best, Yan smile