MIT student blogger Nisha D. '21

Bloggers Wrapped 2019 by Nisha D. '21

aka i harvest everybodys data, my favorite pastime

It’s my favorite time of year for a variety of reasons. My birthday was a few weeks ago01 I turned 21 and went to The Muddy, MIT's grad student run pub, twice on one day , it’s almost Christmas and it’s okay to listen to Christmas music again, and SPOTIFY RELEASES SPOTIFY WRAPPED!!!

For those of you who’ve been following the blogs, you probably already know that I love Spotify a lot. I actually love tracking my own music data so much that I’m too impatient02 but also too cheap to pay for the full version, lol to wait for Spotify to give me a glimpse once a year, so I use last.fm to track my music year round. But I love the info that Spotify gives because they talk about your trends and provide you with really specific, random things that are just cool to know. So of course, I begged Abby if I could make the blogger Spotify Wrapped compilation because there’s nothing I love more than looking at people’s Spotify data.

You can observe this below for yourself, but there was an interesting trend this year of people feeling like their Spotify Wrapped didn’t represent them in some way. The data that Spotify provides is objective, which means that they are simply returning the artist that played the most songs from, and the genres that you listened to the most songs from. I’m sure the data itself isn’t wrong. But as Abby brought up last year, people seem to disagree with how the data represents them. I think it brings up an interesting discussion of how objectivity isn’t always ‘the Truth’ with a capital T.

But anyways, let’s get into the HARD DATA about the bloggers music habits!

Blogger: me

Most listened to bands03 yes i know it's actually albums but most of the bloggers couldn't recognize the album by its cover but we could recognize the band from the winter: She Wants Revenge, Pearl Jam, Arctic Monkeys, The Wombats

Most listened to bands from the spring: Arctic Monkeys, Cage the Elephant, Blitzen Trapper, Pearl Jam

Most listened to bands from the summer: Pearl Jam, She Wants Revenge, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie

Most listened to bands from the fall: Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Taylor Swift, June Carter

Favorite04 defined as most listened to artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: She Wants Revenge / 16 hours / “Tear You Apart”

Top 5 artists: She Wants Revenge, Pearl Jam, David Bowie, Arctic Monkeys, Cage the Elephant

World Citizen05 defined as the number of countries you listened to artists from : 54

Top genres: Rock, Pop, Indie pop, Showtunes, Modern Bollywood

Top 5 songs: “Furr” by Blitzen Trapper, “Fluorescent Adolescent” by Arctic Monkeys, “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden, “Tokyo – Vampires & Wolves” by The Wombats, ” “Head Like A Hole” by Nine Inch Nails

Top 100 songs playlist: it’s alright

New artists listened to: 725

Best new artist: Blitzen Trapper

Minutes listened in 2019: 35,264

Artist of the Decade: Pearl Jam

Comments from the blogger: despite my valiant efforts to listen to more music and change up my taste a bit, my top 100 songs playlist showed me that i listen to the same like 50 songs on repeat and honestly that’s true. also i was a little miffed that my artist of the decade was my boyfriend’s favorite band because that felt too cringey, but honestly they’re really good so i’m over it.

nisha's top songs and bands of 2019nisha's top songs and bands of the decade

Blogger: Cami

Most listened to bands from the winter: Ariana Grande, lovelytheband

Most listened to bands from the spring: Kanye West, BTS, scarypoolparty

Most listened to bands from the summer: BTS, Willow Smith, Tyler, the Creator

Most listened to bands from the fall: Brockhampton, Frank Ocean, Harry Styles, Rex Orange County

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: BTS / 45 hours / “Boy with Luv ft. Halsey”

Top 5 artists: BTS, Ariana Grande, Tyler, the Creator, Joji, The 1975

World Citizen: 52

Top genres: Alternative r&b, K-pop, pop rap, pop, emo rap

Top 5 songs: “Wait A Minute!” by WILLOW, “7 rings” by Ariana Grande, “Out Loud” by scarypoolparty, “i’m so tired…” by Lauv ft. Troye Sivan, “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande

Top 100 songs playlist: the range of moods on this playlist is very large

New artists listened to: 643

Best new artist: lovelytheband

Minutes listened in 2019: 33,405

Artist of the Decade: Drake

Comments from the blogger: lowkey kinda disappointed i didnt listen to more music this year?? last year i listened to 83,684 min of music. also very sad that my music is pop dominated when i felt like i listened to a lot of alt r&b this yr but! thats just how it b. my bts bias is suga. talk to me about him. also, bts is probably at the top because i listened to them on repeat for every. single. flight, including los angeles to london and back.

Comments from me: that is so many hours of BTS. i am impressed cami's top songs and artists of 2019 cami's top songs and artists of the decade

Blogger: Ankita

Most listened to bands from the winter: Kenshi Yonezu, Des Rocs

Most listened to bands from the spring: The Fratellis, Mother Mother, Arctic Monkeys

Most listened to bands from the summer: The Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys, Abhi the Nomad

Most listened to bands from the fall: The Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys, Abhi the Nomad

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: The Fratellis / 20 hours / “Whistle For The Choir”

Top 5 artists: The Fratellis, Arctic Monkeys, Mother Mother, Abhi the Nomad, Cage the Elephant

World Citizen: 56

Top genres: Rock, Modern rock, Indie-pop, pop, pop-rap

Top 5 songs: “Whistle For The Choic” by The Fratellis, “Little Apple” By Chopstick Brothers, “Sex n’ Drugs” by Abhi The Nomad, “Infinitesimal” by Mother Mother, “3’s” by Nodaway

Top 100 songs playlists: as somebody who would know, ankita’s music taste has improved exponentially over the years

New artists listened to: 1207

Best new artist: The Fratellis

Minutes listened in 2019: 33,225

Artist of the Decade: Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton

Comments from the blogger: damn so i love The Fratellis, what else is new…also the songs i discovered/listened to while I was in Taiwan this summer really defined the rest of my year, which is interesting

Comments from me: to bring up the point i made at the top of this post, isn’t it whack how ankita listening to the hamilton soundtrack nonstop (literally fucking nonstop) in 2016 ‘defines’ the rest of her decade??? objectivity is not truth people

ankita's spotify wrapped stats ankita's spotify wrapped stats

Blogger: Sabrina

Most listened to bands from the winter: Ariana Grande

Most listened to bands from the spring: Carly Rae Jepsen, Billie Eilish

Most listened to bands from the summer: Carly Rae Jepsen, Hozier, Billie Eilish

Most listened to bands from the fall: Carly Rae Jepsen, Lana Del Rey

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: Carly Rae Jepsen / 64 hours / “Warm Blood”

Top 5 artists: Carly Rae Jepsen, Billie Eilish, Hozier, Ariana Grande, The 1975

World Citizen: 51

Top genres: Pop, Indie Pop, Alternative R&B, Rock, Rap

Top 5 songs: “wish you were gay” by Billie Eilish, “bad guy” by Billie Eilish, “Warm Blood” by Carly Rae Jepsen, “needy” by Ariana Grande, “Movement” by Hozier

Top 100 songs playlists: here, have all the gen z bops

New artists listened to: 501 

Best new artist: Labrinth

Minutes listened in 2019: 81,020

Artist of the Decade: Frank Ocean

Comments from the blogger: showing this to myself whenever i have doubts about whether i technically make the millenial cutoff (i clearly do not). a little sad that i have moved almost exclusively into the Pop Zone with regards to genre (because I do still like other genres, Alt R&B especially!), but i guess its a welcome change from last years Sad Alt Music for 137,568 minutes.

Comments from me: if i ever need to know what the people of my generation are listening to nowadays i think i shall consult sabrina

sabrina's spotify wrapped 2019 sabrina's spotify wrapped decade

Blogger: Petey

Most listened to bands from the winter: Architects, Sigur Ros, Luniz, Between the Buried and Me

Most listened to bands from the spring: The Receiving Ends of Sirens, Architects

Most listened to bands from the summer: Architects, Dispose, Bring Me The Horizon, Podcast

Most listened to bands from the fall: Devil Wears Prada

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: Architects / 30 hours / “Mortal After All”

Top 5 artists: Architects, Devil Wears Prada, Between the Buried and Me, Sigur Ros, I See Stars

World Citizen: 23

Top genres: Metalcore, Rock, Hiphop, Pop, Progressive Metal

Top 5 songs: “RIGGED” by The Plot In You, “Moongod” by The Devil Wears Prada, “Mortal After All” by Architects, “I Got 5 On It” by Luniz & Michael Marshall, “FEEL NOTHING” by The Plot In You

Top 100 songs playlists: behold the worlds emoest teen, chris petey peterson

New artists listened to: N/A

Best new artist: N/A

Minutes listened in 2019: 36,577

Artist of the Decade: Between the Buried and Me

Comments from the blogger: an old MITAdmissions proverb says: to understand the mindset of an angsty teen, you must become an angsty teen.

Comments from me: how did petey manage to not listen to a singular new artist the ENTIRE year??? i am honestly baffled

petey's spotify wrapped 2019 petey's spotify wrapped decade

Blogger: Abby

Most listened to bands from the winter: Cage the Elephant, The Clash (twice?), David Bowie 

Most listened to bands from the spring: Wavves (??????), Tom Petty (twice), White Reaper

Most listened to bands from the summer: The 1975 (lmao), Cage the Elephant (again), Led Zeppelin, Pixies

Most listened to bands from the fall: N/A

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: Cage the Elephant / 5 hours / “Back Stabbin’ Betty”

Top 5 artists: Cage the Elephant, Toadies, The 1975, Guided by Voices, White Reaper

World Citizen: 24

Top genres: rock, noise pop, post-grunge, pop rap, indie punk

Top 5 songs: “No 13 Baby” (Pixies), “Tyler” (Toadies), “Straight to Hell” (The Clash), “Laid” (James), “New York City Cops” (The Strokes)

Top 100 songs playlists: i concur with abby’s taste in music

New artists listened to: 252

Best new artist: White Reaper

Minutes listened in 2019: 10,174

Artist of the Decade: The 1975

Comments from the blogger: I have many comments: Over the past couple of years, my music consumption has decreased, which explains why my “decade” results are heavily skewed toward the music I listened to (ad infinitum) in 2017. 2017 was also the year that my sister freeloaded off my account, so that’s why SZA and Mac Demarco are over-represented. I am deeply confused at the frequent occurrence of the 1975; I feel like I have listened to them sparingly? Weirdly enough my past three years’ top songs have been three different Pixies songs off the same album and yet the 1975 is somehow my artist of the decade/ Make it make sense. Cage the Elephant is number one because I had to listen to their new album over and over to learn the songs for a concert I went to. It’s not even my favorite album. Led Zeppelin is over-represented because of a 4-5 hour road trip I took over the summer alone, appropriate cruising down the 101 music. If that makes me a boomer then so be it. Also, I can’t name a single Wavves song. I think that popped up because Twitter drama about him being a landlord prompted me to see what the music is like. I don’t remember. Overall, this wrapped is a good summary of what I listen to on repeat to induce a calming, meditative mental state. It just so happens that the music that does that for me is whiney male vocalists backed by loud electric guitars.

Comments from me: abby just made me realize that whiney male vocalists backed by loud electric guitars also do it for me musically

abby's spotify wrapped 2019 abby's spotify wrapped decade

Blogger: Alex

Most listened to bands from the winter: Hozier, Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Fall Out Boy

Most listened to bands from the spring: Carly Rae Jepsen, Hozier, The xx

Most listened to bands from the summer: Car Seat Headrest (twice), The Mountain Goats, an NPR podcast i listened to for six minutes

Most listened to bands from the fall: Car Seat Headrest (twice), The Mountain Goats, PUP

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: Hozier / 60 hours / “Almost (Sweet Music)”

Top 5 artists: Hozier, Carly Rae Jepsen, Car Seat Headrest, The xx, Fall Out Boy

World Citizen: 33

Top genres: Modern Rock, Pop, Rock, Indie Rock, Motown

Top 5 songs: “The Sky Is A Neighborhood” (Foo Fighters), “Sedona” (Houndmouth), “Shrike” (Hozier)06 why is this not alex's most listened to song by hozier??? i am confusion , “You Can Call Me Al” (Paul Simon), “Almost (Sweet Music)” (Hozier)

Top 100 songs playlists: good shit good shit

New artists listened to: 452

Best new artist: PUP

Minutes listened in 2019: 45,075

Artist of the Decade: Hozier

Comments from the blogger: My top songs are an intriguing mix of rowing practice music (Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, classic rock, Foo Fighters when I can sneak it into the queue) and music that I actually listen to. I expected Frank Ocean to be in my top 5 artists but he didn’t even make my Top Songs playlist……..home of phobia….I also feel like this was extremely winter-skewed, probably due to the sheer amount of time (especially IAP) I spent playing music at rowing practice and time in Stud 5th listening to music and studying for the 18.03 ASE. Check out my last.fm for more of what i’ve been listening to in the summer/fall. Also my team switched to more EDM stuff and also more R&B in the fall but they haven’t been using my Spotify account as much anymore, so that mostly didn’t make it in.

Comments from me: also check out my last.fm :,) fun fact, alex and i have ‘super’ music compatibility according to last.fmalex's spotify wrapped 2019 alex's spotify wrapped decade

Blogger: DJ

Most listened to bands from the winter: Kelela, Lizzo, more Kelela, Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations

Most listened to bands from the spring: Carly Rae Jepsen, Solange, Blood Orange, more Solange

Most listened to bands from the summer: Meg thee Stallion, Ari Lennox, Blood Orange, more Ari Lennox

Most listened to bands from the fall: Teyana Taylor, Solange, Frankie Cosmos, Blood Orange

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: Blood Orange / 51 hours / “Hope”

Top 5 artists: Blood Orange, Solange, Kelela, Meg Thee Stallion, Noname

World Citizen: 59

Top genres: Pop rap, Alternative R&B, Indie Rock, Pop, Chillhop

Top 5 songs: “LMK_WHAT’S REALLY GOOD REMIX” (Kelela), “BMO” (Ari Lennox), “Hungry Hippo” (Tierra Whack), “Act Up” (City Girls), “Best You Ever Had” (Meg Thee Stallion)

Top 100 songs playlists: the intersection of mine and dj’s music taste is approximately 0 but this is a bopping playlist

New artists listened to: 612

Best new artist: Meg Thee Stallion

Minutes listened in 2019: 81,351

Artist of the Decade: Frankie Cosmos

Comments from the blogger: 1) 2019 truly was the year of the Hot Girl Summer & 2) A significant portion of the music I listen to is not work appropriate :)

Comments from me: i think DJ wins the prize for most minutes listened this year

dj's spotify wrapped 2019 dj's spotify wrapped decade

Blogger: Kidist

Most listened to bands from the winter: Billie Eilish, J Cole

Most listened to bands from the spring: Beyonce

Most listened to bands from the summer: Meg Thee Stallion

Most listened to bands from the fall: Melanie Martinez, Marina

Favorite artist / Hours listened to them / Top song by them: Rihanna / 22 hours / “Needed Me”

Top 5 artists: Rihanna, Billie Eilish, aimless, Megan Thee Stallion, Nao

World Citizen: 46

Top genres: lo-fi beats, pop, indie r&b, deep pop r&b, pop rap

Top 5 songs: Act Up, Going Bad, Before I Let Go, No Guidance, Simon Says

Top 100 songs playlists: N/A

New artists listened to: 531

Best new artist: aimless

Minutes listened in 2019: 32,272

Artist of the Decade: The Weeknd

Comments from the blogger: N/A

Comments from me: i honestly did not know that lo-fi beats were actually their own genre, i thought it was just a meme. also kidist and dj look like they would be music buddies

What does your Spotify wrapped look like? Let us know in the comments! And enjoy listening to all the BOPS in this post ;)

1. I turned 21 and went to The Muddy, MIT's grad student run pub, twice on one day back to text
  2. but also too cheap to pay for the full version, lol back to text
  3. yes i know it's actually albums but most of the bloggers couldn't recognize the album by its cover but we could recognize the band back to text
  4. defined as most listened to back to text
  5. defined as the number of countries you listened to artists from back to text
  6. why is this not alex's most listened to song by hozier??? i am confusion back to text