MIT student blogger Laura N. '09

Choose my Halloween Costume! by Laura N. '09

Okay guys, here’s the deal…Halloween is quickly approaching, and I have no idea what to dress up as. In fact, I haven’t actually dressed up as anything in the past few years, and this is truly sad. So, I need some help coming up with a good idea. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

– Velma (from Scooby Doo)
– a non-sucky female Disney character (meaning Jasmine or Mulan or anyone who does something OTHER than sitting around waiting for Prince Charming’s white horse to get in gear)
– a witch (even though I dressed as a witch like 5 times between the ages of 3 and 8)
– Trinity from the Matrix (this would be THE coolest thing ever, but…so much leather! I’m not sure I can pull that off!)

So…any suggestions? Either other ideas, or how on Earth I can pull any of these off within the next week…bonus points given to awesome characters I haven’t thought of (I’d SO be Veronica Mars if I thought anyone would get it).

Ready….go!

52 responses to “Choose my Halloween Costume!”

Ack, but guys…seriously, WHERE am I gonna get THAT much pleather?! =/

2. Cinderella says:

Booo!!! Rise up and stop the bigotry and hate against the Disney Princesses!!!!

s/ Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Ariel, Belle

@Cinderella: bigotry and hate? Strong words! I’ll just repeat myself here: all those characters do (more or less, with some variations on theme) is sit around waiting for Prince Charming’s white horse to get in gear. I’m not a fan, that’s all. I’d chill with Jasmine over Aurora any day.

4. Trinity says:

Seems like you indeed very >serious about all this.

5. Mr. Serious says:

@Laura for @Cinderella,

Looks like someone’s just got pwned by someone. lol.

6. Lexy says:

Out of the ones you did, I’d vote Trinity – wonderful!
    Another idea (which I actually did for a Halloween party) is the stock market. Just draw a graph of the DOW/Jones plummeting on a big piece of foam board and tie it to yourself. Then put on a helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads and say you’re preparing for the crash. People seem to like it and it’s /really/ easy.

7. Lexy says:

Oh, and also check out the Garment District, which is really nearby. I can give you directions if you need it.

Re: Disney/fairytale princesses- you should check out the graphic novel series ‘Fables’ if you want to see some of these characters in an entirely new way. Snow White is a very capable administrator, Goldilocks is a revolutionary with violent tendencies and Prince Charming is a slick, manipulative, narcissistic user of women. Not so great for costumes, though, since the plots occur largely in present day NYC.

9. Aditya says:

You don’t need leather. Just something that looks like leather. Come on! What’s the use of being in MIT if you can’t find/make a cheaper alternative to leather?!

10. T says:

@ Anonymous sniper,

It means you’ve read ’em all, and in turn, got extremely disappointed -it never happens in USA, or NYC- by all this. Too bad. I feel sorry for you.

11. Domo says:

I second the vote for myself.

12. Chris says:

Trinity. Go big or go home.

13. Lil Wayne says:

Q>What does Trinity emblem?
    A>Her attributes are quite the same as, of Cinderella.

14. T - Pain says:

Yeah, you told ’em right, bro!

I vote for Trinity… Actually i found this costume which looks like leather and includes glasses <a>here</a>…

Enjoy!!

16. Aditya says:

Trinity!!!! Definitely. I’ve never seen anyone dressed as Trinity before. Not that we celebrate Halloween out here in India… but Trinity is just so cool.

oops, forgot to post the link here
    sorry

18. ahh says:

do trinity iff you can find two friends that like to do neo and morpheus…

19. Sebastien says:

Tux!! (the Linux Penguin!)
    It’s perfect.
    Go for it.

You could be Mario or Luigi

Thirteen from “house”
    tigger!!
    and jasmine is probably my fav disney princess

@ Lil Wayne: While you certainly do raise a valid point (trust me, I could go on about this for hours), she at least kicks some butt in between…I mean yeah, she’s mostly around as a love interest, but see: hardcore hacker, outrunning an agent, “dodge this,” etc. What’s the coolest thing Cinderella ever does?

@ Aditya: something that looks like leather but isn’t? I mean…I’m an MIT student, not an alchemist!

@ Ehsan: ummm….no.

You should go for Trinity and but get fully into character; haircut and color and everything.

24. Cinderella says:

Dont believe her PR. Mulan is a biatch to work with.

25. v_corp7 says:

:Amanda Young in her pig mask from SAW 2

:A Hogwarts student

:Just try Trinity

This is the best I can come up with at this moment.

26. Ahana says:

Yeah, then you could even say, “Hey, I wore a Tux this Halloween!”…ok, really bad joke.raspberry Really, go for it…you could even wear it in vinyl; it’ll make you look like the high-def vector

Trinity.
    Def her.

28. Jean says:

Be Trinity– for crazy amounts of weird fabric/really cool costume stuff (and clothes!) go to the GARMENT DISTRICT at 200 Broadway (walk down from Kendall Sq)…. it’s fantastic!!!

Have fun!

29. DrBurst says:

One of the Spartans from the Halo books. Maybe Kelly-087

this guy made one at home http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Syl9F9A9I&feature=related

But Trinity is the best choice here

30. Go as Jar Jar Binks!

31. Curtis says:

@ Anonymous Pea-Shooter

You’ve violent tendencies. And people, whom you see on screen doing lots of “butt-kicking” actually have a very cool mind, or at least the characters have it. Given a choice, these characters seldom want to fight with someone.

You want to be Trinity because she kicks. But you are blind enough to see for what she fights?

Condolences

32. Karen '12 says:

I vote Velma…but from Venture Brothers.

33. hmm says:

cameron, from House?

red lipstick, hair down, loose curls, could go for some darker washable highlights (downlights? what is the opposite of highlights?), lab coat (mit, no problems there), serious, worried expression mixed with exasperation…and get some guy off the street that’s scruffy and unshaven and give him a cane to walk with…
    ta-da
    cameron + house : )

and I agree with you on the whole disney princess thing…prince charming isn’t coming and who wants a man who has teeth that go *ting* every time he smiles, anyway? sounds like a mama’s boy to me…probably a boy scout too…

34. Adelaide '09 says:

Oh man, I didn’t even know Trinity was an option — I heard Velma and thought that was awesome, but Trinity… Yeah. Trinity ROCKS AT LIFE. At least in the first movie, which is the only one that counts anyway — after that, she does unfortunately become little more than a love interest. But in the first movie her character is awesome.

But, uh, I need ideas too. Laura? You have more imagination than me, right? Eh… maybe I can be Velma if you decide to be Trinity?

actually Snow White and Aurora wait for their Prince Charmings to come, in all of the other ones, the princess goes to the guy/does something

36. viv says:

Hey Lady – I dont how I got into this site and to your blog but I happened to read your stuff and I’d like to suggest to you to try going like

” Sarah Palin “

Hope it all works out. Enjoy.

You know, Mulan would be really cool…(but then again I’m Chinese-American) and yes, it’d probably be pretty hard to pull off… ^^

38. shytack says:

The Mad Hatter? I dressed up as him once, with obnoxiously green blazer, except I used a skirt instead of pants. The hat was actually the bomb-est part, since I accidentally made it too big and it turned out to be thrice the size of my head…

If you feel like being bizarre, I’d suggest a drag queen (is that possible for a girl?)

Megh, Trinity is kinda cliche. (‘least where I’m from).

Lmfao, Karen. She should be Molotov.

39. '13 says:

dress up as snively.
    lololololololllll111!!!

40. ne0 says:

C’mon, it’s Halloween! Go as something scary like a segfault or a divide by 0 error!

41. sandy says:

Velma all the way smileYou get to wear bright colors and nerd glasses, you can’t lose.

42. Go as… Ms. Pac Man or if you are really into halloween, go as Marilyn Monroe

43. hamsi says:

velma! lol i love scooby-doo

44. Megan says:

Bristol Palin. wear an “Alaska” shirt that says something like “Abstinence Works!” and then make yourself look pregnant.

45. Jc says:

This is really funny, because I was doing an Economy costume, much like the Stock Market. I also played around with the Domo idea for a bit. I would say Trinity, just because any attempt to salvage votes for the other options would never work.

Intense duct-taping could compensate for lack of pleather. No idea.

Seriously, I would think better for Velma (from Scooby-doo)

47. Monorina says:

Why don’t you try Hermione Granger. Kay, I luff her. She’s a pretty strong character, and easy to dress up in. I’d lend you my Gryffie dress if you need it.Then, a wig and you are done!
    Also, I totally agree with your opinion of princesses( or young girls) who are waiting for Prince Charming. Go get ’em,gals! Don’t wait. Get a life!