MIT student blogger Sam M. '07

Dies Irae by Sam M. '07

Quantus tremor est futurus!

DID YOU KNOW? Institute Professor and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer John Harbison is teaching the undergraduate class 21M.304: Writing in Tonal Forms II this term?

Just a thought before I get some sleep: I made an impulse buy of some Star Wars: Episode III valentines the other day at Star Market. They cost $2.99 plus tax. Upon starting to address them tonight, I noticed that none of them are really appropriate for showing true affection–they all feature sentiments like:

Anakin: “To a most powerful friend!”
Yoda: “My trusted ally you are.”
Palpatine: “Together, we can rule the galaxy!”
Obi-Wan: “May the Force be with you!”
Darth Vader: “You have my allegiance.”
C3PO: “To a splendid counterpart!”
R2D2: “You can fly with me anytime!”

Only the last one of those is even close to being an actual valentine, and it features a picture of a droid that can’t really talk.

I guess they assumed that the kind of person who would buy Star Wars-themed valentine set probably wouldn’t be needing any actual valentines.

More on classes, work, and your strange obsession with leaving digits of pi in my comments tomorrow.

13 responses to “Dies Irae”

Heehee. What a romantic questure: “You have my allegiance.” I guess I tend to agree with your theory.

2. James says:

In my opinion, “May the Force be with you” is always an appropriate sentiment, whether it’s said to a friend leaving home for the first time, to the love of one’s life on Valentine’s day, or to one’s brother as a toast at his wedding. Actually, I haven’t used it in any of those circumstances, but I came pretty close. I said it for the camera to put in the wedding video.

3. thekeri says:

“Together, we can rule the galaxy!” is getting there.

That is, if you’re somewhat dictatorial and power-hungry, and your love interest happens to be, too.

4. Kate says:

Dies Irae is one of the songs we’re performing for our Spring Concert… *so awesome.* Um…on a different topic, I got an 800 math, 800 reading, and 700 writing on my SATs I took in Jaunary–I could not get the stupid grin off my face for about two hours when I found out last night–mainly because I’m coming to visit MIT as a congratulatory gift from my dad! Any specific date you think sounds good? In this, my trusted ally you are.

Also, in honor of Valentine’s Day, a poem that was given to me today…

Roses are #FF0000

Violets are #0000FF

All my base

Are belong to you.

mhmm. This is what being the only girl in Tech Club gets me. Enjoy.

5. Dan says:

Yeah I’ve been thinkin’ the same thing about his titles. They’re always catchy and clever.

That 1600 is crazy! I took SATs that day too. I’m a junior…I got 700 math and I can’t even say what I got on CR…:-(. Put it this way, I got one score in each the 500s, 600s, and 700s.

6. Alan says:

Hey junior-Dan: They (the powers that be) talk a lot about how little SAT scores figure into their decisions relative to other factors, so you should be more concerned with doing things involving grades and research and what-not. Even so, take the SAT again (

I need a help:where shouold i send my financial aid application????

Thank you very much!!!

8. Wow wish I could get Valentine Cards like those…yay for STAR WARS…Palpatines comment rocks..

They should have a Han Solo card which simply says “I know” …

9. Dan says:

Thanks Alan…I’m signing up for the April SAT within a couple days. I can’t believe the deadline is in like a week, for APRIL. And I think it was an off day for me, reading wise, on Jan 28.

10. Luisana says:

I think you missed the most important and romantic STAR WARS comment of them all…

“Luke…I am your father”

I mean, if that’s not romantic and valentine’s-dayish then…I dont even know what love is!

11. Chis H says:

800 Math? 800 Reading? I think I’m in love. How do you feel about hockey players? (Only 720 Math, brown eyes (2), 800 both Math SAT IIs, 6’2″, 35 ACT math & science, 185 lbs). I love chinese food, pizza…and just about anything edible. Kate, put me in your private study group. Your 800s have melted my heart.

12. Wenhao Sun says:

^^Ah, not even the internet can shield people from cupid’s violence.

I like how you chose to use a title meaning Judgement Day for a Valentines Day post. Very fitting tongue laugh. Then again you always have awesome titles.

Happy Valentines Day!

Round two, fight.

James — I agree that it’s a poetic gesture, but not so much on Valentine’s day. Still, it might actually be the most romantic line that George Lucas has ever written. Compare it with “I don’t like sand… it’s so coarse and irritable, and it gets everywhere. Not like you. You’re soft and smooth.” from Episode II (paraphrased) and I think the choice is obvious.

thekeri — Yeah, I guess that’s actually a good one for a particularly ambitious couple.

Kate — Whose Dies Irae are you doing? I was listening to Faure’s setting while writing this entry (from the “Libera Me” section of his requiem.

Chis H — Yeah, so I thought you were just one of Kate’s friends from home or something but then I got smart and checked IP addresses (I’m a stalker too). You go, dude.

Wenhao — I was actually going for the more literal “Day of Wrath,” but your translation works also. I’m giddy that somewhere out there, people like you and Dan appreciate entry titles.

Aditya — Heh, awesome. Too bad I got the stupid Episode III ones–not much you can do with an asthmatic robot and a planet of lava and volcanoes.

Anonymous — try Daniel’s blog at http://daniel.mitblogs.com. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Luisana — I don’t know, that’s a bit too Freudian even for me.