Far and Away by Sam M. '07

I was going to get philosophical, but then I thought about Hugh Jackman.

DID YOU KNOW? Although Boston conducted the most famous tea party in American History, colonists at Charleston did better by stealing the tea and then selling it, rather than dumping it into their harbor.

I saw X3 last night. Here are some thoughts, from an MIT undergrad’s perspective:

1. I think it was edited from a two-hour movie down to the point where it was just barely coherent. There seriously isn’t one line of dialogue in the entire thing that doesn’t advance the plot in some way. They really just want to get you in, have some explosions, show Hugh Jackman half-naked, and get you out.
2. I wonder if acclaimed thespians Kelsey Grammer, Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, et al, actually know or care what they’re talking about when they have to discuss the monoclonal antibody against mutations or the psychic barriers that Professor X has erected against Jean Grey’s unlimited power source. I just remember an interview with Hugh Jackman on MSNBC about “the physics of Van Helsing” where he said something like, “Yeah, he’s got these cool blades that spin around real fast, and then he can throw them!”
3. On that note, the bad science didn’t bother me at all, unlike Spiderman 2, where the value of an eigenvector can be 4.6 electron Volts. That had me laughing out loud. Which was kind of inappropriate, because I saw it in Harrisburg and not at MIT. Also, my 8.022 textbook made a cameo in Spiderman 2.
4. One thing that did bother me was that it turns from day to night within about 5 seconds when Magneto lifts the Golden Gate bridge from its foundations to advance his renegade mutant army to Alcatraz.
5. I am in love with Ian McKellen, and my favorite mutant is now Magneto rather than Storm.
6. He actually says “I’m the Juggernaut, b****!” Also, there was a preview for Snakes on a Plane. Between the two of those, I feel like the movies are watching us rather than the other way around.
7. Also, for all the hype, I think that Angel was in the film for a grand total of about three minutes, and he coincidentally had his shirt off for about 2.8 of those. My friend Shana hypothesized that they were going for some kind of “Angels in America” homage with the whole “gay gene”/”mutant gene” thing, but I don’t think I can give them quite that much credit.
8. Speaking of famous people in the movie for three minutes, I actually yelled out, “No, don’t kill Shohreh Aghdashloo! She was Oscar-nominated!” but they didn’t listen to me. I guess she didn’t really even bother to clear her throat for either of her two scenes, so she kind of deserved it.
9. The title credits are supposed to be “scientific,” so they feature an HPLC autosampler bombsastically grabbing a vial and a centrifuge whirring ominously, and I think that was when I stopped taking the movie seriously.
10. You should probably stay after the closing credits if you happen to see it. Which isn’t a bad idea; you get what you paid for.

Okay, going to GERMANY in three hours!! I LOVE MIT!! WOOHOO!!

Also, Sam’s Mom was benevolent enough to buy me a digital camera, so this entire summer my blog will probably just be pictures of me in Europe with no text. Thank Sam’s Mom for that!

6 responses to “Far and Away”

Have a good Trip Sam!!!!!

2. Sulinya says:

Happy Europe grin

3. Jon says:

I saw X3 also…..idk, I thought it was the shiz, but thats just me. Considering there was so much going on and so little time to wrap everything off, i can see why the condensed everything. I thought they did a really good job at wrapping up the loose ends. though, some of it was odd, like “I’m the Juggernaut, B….” and some other lines, not to mention the….er….”disappearances” of many of the main characters. But other than that, i thought it was very good

however, if you didnt stay for the 30 second scene after the credits, it wasnt worth it. Funny how a non-action packed, somewhat cryptic 30 second scene makes or breaks the movie

4. Ruth says:

Did you notice the sudden darkness, too? It was wierd.

And seeing Spider-man 2 in GA was no better. I saw the textbook, and screamed “Purcell!!! WOOOO!!” and my friends threw stuff at me, some more.

The movie was awesome, but the next day I saw “Thank you for smoking” and I realized what a difference a good story and dialouge can make. Go see it!!

5. “No, don’t kill Shohreh Aghdashloo!”

Was that the transvestite-looking one with the clapping? Either way, that particular mutant bothered me. A lot. Not because she looked like a transvestite, mind you (that’s merely how I identified her for most of the movie), but because she was so prominent and then said nothing at all, nor did she demonstrate her power until the very end. That was frustrating.

As for the aforementioned Juggernaut scene, I don’t see what’s so funny. Maybe it’s just because I saw it on Memorial Day and all my friends who’d seen it Friday ruined it for me.

However, I’ve noticed that there are many, many sudden lighting changes in film (see also: Back to the Future, after Marty drives out of the barn in ’55). Also that no one ever shuts doors.

6. John says:

The Juggernaut scene is extremely funny when all of your friends wince embarrassedly and everyone else in the theatre nearly dies of laughter, including some kids in front of you who literally roll on the floor, laughing.

Overall, I thought the movie was entertaining. I always thought science fiction meant fake science so I never had a problem with that. I did have a problem coping with the gaping disparities between the plot of the movie and the plot of the comic