MIT student blogger Jess K. '10

First Day of Class by Jess K. '10

Sick.

Classes started yesterday, which means I became immediately and violently ill the night before. I don’t know how or why it happened, but for some reason the idea of spending five hours in lecture sent me into a violent downward spiral hugging the porcelain god all night, and as such I’ve been lying around either freezing or burning up in bed or on my couch or somewhere in between trying to figure out why the little birds on my ceiling won’t stop cranking that Soulja Boy.

I’m slightly better today, but all jokes aside, I am actually sick, and I haven’t been this sick in a while, and that really stinks when you were really, no, really, Mom, looking forward to classes starting. Not to mention had to go to classes when they were starting – because a few days ago, I got kicked out of my neurobiology lab for not pre-registering for it before July. Normally, you pre-register for fall classes at the end of spring term, and pre-registration is open until beginning of August, but the really popular classes will fill up before then. I didn’t plan on taking this class until next year, and so I didn’t pre-register for it until I figured out my schedule in mid-July. And so, on registration day, also known as the day before classes and the day before the sick hit the fan, I got this email:

“Please be advised that 9.12 is a limited enrollment class and the class was full on 7/1/08.  Please be advised that you need to drop the subject from your schedule.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.”

This is majorly inconvenient when 1) you really wanted to take this class this term, as it’s only offered in the fall and it fits really nicely into your schedule right now and 2) you are so delirious you think the construction workers outside are hammering in morse code and are repreatedly trying to tell you “bklbcvb”.

In desperate response, I emailed the course 9 administrator and the professor of the class, both of whom told me that it was possible for me to get into the class if only I showed up for class on the first day. Except on the first day, yesterday, I was awake for a grand total of like ten minutes. And for those ten minutes, I was either hurling or imagining there were construction workers outside, when really the construction workers and the little birds and Soulja Boy? All in my head. (You know, people tend to ask the bloggers a lot if the admissions officers edit us at all, and I think this entry should pretty much serve as the poster child for a big fat “NUH-UH”. But blogging while sick should probably be banned in the future.)

So: if you are Professor Lois and you are reading my blog, for some strange reason I don’t even want to know, please let me into this class. If you’re anyone else, please send red Gatorade and Pepto-Bismol.

Stay tuned for next week, when we find out if my professors read my blog.

16 responses to “First Day of Class”

1. A Mom says:

Get well soon!

2. wesh m says:

try open course ware ^_^

3. Ehsan says:

I always get nervous before school, but never sick.

4. Judy Hao says:

Aww, I hope you get better soon Jess!

jesse mccartney once said, “no stress, no stress, no stress”

i think it was his moment of brilliance

Oh hey,
    I woke up violently ill this morning and I’m sure that calculus test was not just a figment of my imagination.

7. Chris B. '12 says:

Jess, I hope your feeling better. You looked bad earlier today though.

I’m still sick too! Clearly MIT is against us.

9.12 is superfull. :(

9. Shannon says:

I’M SICK TOO. Just getting over it, more like. But the first day of classes yesterday was miserable.

Contagious through the blogs? Weird.

I’m also sick. First day of classes was miserable, but not as miserable as yesterday, when my nose was dripping for an hour solid through my 3.091 recitation, grossing out all of my classmates. Luckily I accidentally went to the wrong section and will probably never see any of them again!

11. chris says:

fyi: red gaterade means fruit punch flavor! I’ve shown this empirically.

FEEL BETTER!!!!! (+10 healing salve)

actually, one of my ChemE professors once cited my blog during a presentation in class. I was kind of glad I went to class that day. It was second semester senior year, so that became more and more of a rarity.

13. wesh m says:

hey how come you are not posting about the second day.

Hope you are not too sick.

14. omar says:

you blogged three times since i last opened google reader… that’s weird. raspberry

15. Danielle says:

I ALWAYS get sick by the second week of school… but not that bad. Ouch.