MIT staff blogger Bryan G. Nance

Glimpses Of My Messy World by Bryan G. Nance

I know, I know - all of you are concerned with your Early Action status, and I'm just sending pictures of my office. It's counter-programming.

I know, I know – all of you are concerned with your Early Action status, and I’m just sending pictures of my office. Matt and Ben are doing a far better job than I could of keeping the masses in the know about the EA process. So consider my blog, for now, to be a bit of counter-programming.

Behold in Awesome Wonderment the pace from which I execute MIT Admissions Policy. Granted, it’s “less than immaculate” – but hey, it’s home away from home.

Allow me to give you the grand tour. Picture 1 gives you a great head-on shot of my desk. It’s the place that I store my most important papers:

If you look at picture 2, you can clearly see my filing system. It’s a simple concept. If it’s important, it’s on my desk. Out of respect for my ingenious storage system, my colleagues will only leave material for me on my chair. I tell you what, after some papers with loose staples I’ve learned to look before I sit:

Finally, in picture 3 you can see the place that I store my prized office possessions:

• Top of bookcase: coffee mugs
  • 1st shelf: oversized binders
  • 2nd shelf: decorations, cds, and gifts from students
  • 3rd & 4th shelf: Favorite books including: Savage Inequalities, EgoTrip’s Big Book of Racism, EgoTrip’s Rap Lists, Lakota Woman, A Primer for Organizational Behavior, Technology & the Dream: Reflections of the Black Experience at MIT, & Pedagogy of the Oppressed
  • Bottom shelf: junk that was left by the last occupant of this office.

I guess some things never change. As a kid my mom used to yell at me to clean my room. Now it’s my co-workers yelling at me to clean my office. However, to my credit, there are no strange smells in my office. I can’t say the same about my room as a kid.

Have a great weekend! Do get some sleep and have some fun!

11 responses to “Glimpses Of My Messy World”

1. Victoria,

Great Eye! That is indeed a Pelican! It is a pen holder (the pen goes in the hole in the beak is where you stick the pen). I love fountain pens and of course my favorite pens are made by a German company called…. Pelican.

2. April says:

your office makes my room look spotless

3. Catherine says:

Hahaha. My desk/room is by far messier, let me assure you. I want a rack to hold files like that and I love your post-it notes. Mine are neon. =)

4. Catherine,

The rack is a $10.99 special from Office MAx

5. Victoria says:

Oooh, pretty.
    I like your office. I like that small white block with something vaguely resembling a pelican perched on top. I have no idea what it is, but it’s neat anyway.
    But does anything that isn’t supposed to move on its own move on its own in your office? If not, that’s great.

6. Benjamin says:

My system:
    Important stuff on my desk everything else thrown into categorized piles on the ground. Unfortunately my mother feels compelled to push my piles to the side which ends up merging them and makes it hard to find things. (though it did get to the point where there were between 3-12″ stacks covering the my floor entirely and probably should have cleaned it up)

7. Nalin K says:

Neat-o filing system there man. I’d have you clean up my desk anyday!

8. Zack Yang says:

Considering the amount of stuff that you have on your desk, it’s very neat.

9. Catherine says:

Mr. Nance,
    Then I’ll have to make it a point to stop by Office Max soon. =)

10. Zack,

You are very kind. If you look closely at the first picture, you can a snapshot of my (soon to be middle child) McKinley.

11. Victoria says:

At least it’s not an albatross.
    Oooh… a pen holder. I thought that’s what ears were made for, though. Fountain pens are fun, and bad to stick behind ears. Unless, of course, you’d like to dye your hair… and scalp… and face… and neck…