MIT student blogger Lulu L. '09

Hi, I’m Lulu by Lulu L. '09

...a different kind of blogger; I take pictures.

Hi, I’m your second new blogger, there’s Keri, and then there’s me. You’ll probably like her better but I hope you like me, too. Most of the basic things you need to know about me and this blog you can read about in my biography, but here’s a little more! I was born in China, grew up there in a valley between the mountains, moved to the outskirts of DC when I was 8, and then to several other places before settling down in New Haven. My essay for MIT was about my life before age 8. My interview for MIT was 3 hours long. I sent a photography portfolio and a supplemental essay. I was admitted Early Action and withdrew most of my pending applications.

I write some, I take pictures a lot. I’m going to concentrate in art. I like science, too. 8.012 made me fall in love with physics. You see, I say I’m a double-major, but that’s mostly just a convenience thing. Sometime near the end of freshman year I made a list of all the classes I’d like to take at MIT and realized I’d be here for 8 years. So I wittled the list down to must-haves and can’t-live-withouts and it made a doable courseload. When I looked up my major requirements I saw that if I took one more physics class I’d get a degree in physics as well. So, whether or not I double major depends on whether or not I feel like taking this one extra physics class (in case you’re wondering the class in question is 8.044).

This is a photography blog. I’m still not entirely sure what that means but you can bet there will be pictures. So, pictures of what? I’m here by popular demand so tell me what you want to see! If you’re getting sick of pictures and you’d like to hear more about how I go about embarrassing myself on a daily basis I can do that, too.

Here, I will start you off! A picture! But that’s not all! Two! Two Pictures!

77 Mass Ave near sunset

Killian Court about midday

And also, I did not take the following picture:

Remember, I take suggestions, I take questions! Don’t worry about asking stupid questions because I’ll delete them quickly before anyone sees. And also, comment a lot, comment often! Or else I will think I am unpopular and start doing things for attention.

That’s it for now!

Bye!

-lulu

32 responses to “Hi, I’m Lulu”

1. Sam Jackson says:

Get any nice shots of the races this weekend?

2. Blizz says:

I thought I was the only one who did that as a freshman smile

3. elizabeth says:

As an applicant, I’d love to see more pictures of campus–especially inside different dorms.

4. lulu says:

AHHH!! IT’S ME!

5. Keri says:

Yes! It’s you!

Welcome to the blogs too, Lulu!

6. Jojo says:

Why was your interview three hours long? How will the admission office notify the EARLY ACTION applicants if they are admitted or not on December 15? How many EA girl applicants were admitted early last year?

7. Jess says:

You’re not actually allowed to say “welcome to the blogs” when you were just welcomed to the blogs like five minutes ago, duh.

Welcome to the blogs!

8. Carol says:

Hey, I am Chinese too! Glad to check out your blog, nice pictures. I wonder if there are many Chinese in MIT. And since I am applying to MIT this year, I am curious about what were the things that made you the perfect fit for MIT.

9. Mario says:

Hey! Great to see another Connecticut person! I’m from Waterbury! Did you fill out all three essays for the MIT application??

10. lulu says:

hey, thanks people. as for some of the immediate questions:

Sam-

I didn’t go :(

Jojo-

my interview was long because it was fun; I don’t know… my year they did it by snail mail but I hear last year they sent out electronic notification. If you ask me I’m still fond of the suspense of checking for big packages; and… I don’t know… I didn’t apply last year. I know my year less than 400 was admitted early and maybe 40% ish were girls? You’re looking at the wrong blogger for admissions statistics though :(

Mario-

I filled out 2, the main one and the something you created one. and yay waterbury! that was where I had my admitted students meeting.

Ha, 8.044 is the one class I don’t really want to take to grab the double in physics. Clearly, they should just get rid of it altogether. =)

Oh and since I’m pretty much required by law to say it, welcome to the blogs.

12. Raagini says:

Hey!! The pictures are beautiful!!

I am really into photograghy as well and I definitely enjoy expressing words through pictures.

I love the concept!

13. Earl, that’s not early morning – that’s late night around here.

14. Thuita Maina says:

Hi Lulu!

Nice to hear that you are a blog with a different style. Surely pictures are worth a thousand words. I would like to see pictures of admissions officers select freshmen, freshmen arrive at MIT for the first time, MIT labs and dormitaries, MIT students in class and MIT compounds. I think it’ll be a great idea to include video clips in your blog; they are worth a thousand pictures! Videos of MIT students at work. Too much work? I think this will keep you busy; you seem to have nothing to talk about!

Thuita Maina

Kenya.

15. lulu says:

Nothing to talk about ?!?! Surely you jest!

My life is nothing if not a non-stop party with good music. Just you see.

16. Thuita Maina says:

Sorry Lulu am I taking too much space in your section – you can delete some anyway. You said you own a digital camera – Canon…… Do you own a digital camera that takes videos? I know of one that’s pretty cheap – Sony cyber shot. I guess there are many more makes at MIT – you can even make one! Anyhow ,you should buy one and start taking videos – I love motion pictures. Still images will make me think the computer I am using is hanging!

17. lulu says:

lol, silly. real cameras don’t do video. I’ll see if I can hook that up for you at some point. For now, I’ll tell you what: I’ll post some sequential pictures and you can scroll through them real fast.

18. Jean says:

Welcome to the blogging world, from someone who is a prospective student and an avid reader of the MIT blogs ^_^ Say, I still have not scheduled my interview with my MIT EC, since your interview was THREE HOURS LONG any suggestions on how to approach the interview? Any advice from someone who already made it would be great!

19. I’d like to see photos of the campus in the early morning hours – say between 5 and 7 AM. Heh heh heh.

20. Stephanie C. says:

Hey Lulu! Welcome. It’s cool to see someone in Course 16 on here. I’m a prospective student at MIT and can’t wait for November when I get to come and visit. I love photography, and your pictures are wonderful. I like the one at Killian Court. It’d be cool to see pictures of life at MIT, like dorms, events you go to, labs, that sort of stuff. Can’t wait to hear more

21. Bill L says:

Hey, Lulu
    No way could that interview have been 3 hours long. Even though you are one of my favorite Lulu’s I know I couldn’t have lasted that long. But it was fun anyway! Hope you are doing well.

22. lulu says:

earl-

done and done. catch is: you’ll only be able to look at them in the early morning. I’ll put them up at 5am and take them down promptly at 7. Hope you live up to your name.

evan-

is right.

Jean-

sure, email me or something if you’d like. username lululiu

Steph-

yah the next entry (coming in a few days) is our bottle rocket launch in Unified. stay tuned!

Bill-

yea-huh. It was too. You could even ask my mommy she was worried about me not coming home. It was over 2 hours at least.

To think! My very own interviewer calling me a liar on my blog :(

23. Bill L says:

I was just checking to see if you were alive and awake. Sure enough you are. When I have a great interviewee, I tend to lose track of time. smile BTW I love your blog. Never expected to see one of my students on the blog. You should become a student ambassador if you aren’t one already. I mentioned your name to one of the folks that came down last April.

24. Thuita Maina says:

Hahahahahahaha! Lulu, you said that you will takes many photos and I should view them quickly so that they appear as a video in my mind – that’s a nice joke! Okay, I have another idea for you – slides will be better than just single photos. I hope you will take this.

25. You have the best campus pictures ever. It makes me want to go there even more!

26. X says:

I love you Lulu! =D

And to the person who asked if there were many Chinese people at MIT, it’s like this. You should be asking if there are white people, and the answer is…sometimes.

27. Hi, it’s interesting that your interview was three hours long and kind of suprising. Anyways as a aspiring MIT student, I was wonderning how it felt to be with a student population that’s like 30% asian. I’m asian, and I was wonderning how you felt about that aspect. Thanks

28. Stephanie C, says:

I can’t wait to see MIT! Lulu, PLEASE take pics of the bottle rocket launch, that’s got to be fun! And to the person, who asked what percentage of students hat are asian, I think it says somewhere that 34% of the schools poulation is Asian and Asian-American. Don’t ask, I have an annoying knack with numbers and statistics. Once they’re in my head, they’re stuck permanently. ANYWAY, can’t wait for the next blog Lulu and pics!

29. Will says:

Hi Lulu~ do you have AIM

i am a chinese student from shandong province.nice to meet you!can you e-mail me ?i want to communicate with you.thank you.wait for your mail.

31. е≠Щ says:

do you have QQ?haha i may be babyish .