MIT student blogger Sam M. '07

I jumped into the river by Sam M. '07

...black-haired Asians swam with me.

DID YOU KNOW? Oprah Winfrey once dated Roger Ebert.

So the Isar River also runs through the English Garden. It’s scenic.

oh.jpg

And people line up to surf in it.

oh.jpg

Kind of like the swan boats in Boston Common, but more EXTREME! You even see a bunch of people swimming in it all the time.

oh.jpg

So it was seriously hot on our second day in München. Thus, with a spare pair of underwear packed discreetly in my back pocket, I headed over to the Garden stripped down to my underwear, and, well…

oh.jpg

…first I tested the water with Bao ’07 and Ling ’07 (Kendall ’07 was taking pictures).

oh.jpg

Well, it seems okay to me and my gigantic jaw.

oh.jpg

Oh my God this river is so freaking cold.

oh.jpg

Stop making out and help me!

oh.jpg

Undaunted by my cries of agony, Ling clotheslines into the water.

oh.jpg

She is followed mere moments later by Bao, who decided that there was nothing to fear, nothing to doubt.

So, in the space of about five minutes of river journeying, you go toward a dam, which prevents you from going over a waterfall, under a few bridges, which is harrowing in itself, and into a romantic forest where people pause momentarily from their PDA to wonder why so many people are jumping into a freezing river in the middle of the afternoon.

oh.jpg

This is how much fun Ling ’07 and Bao ’07 found all that action.

You could see how much fun I found it, but those pictures will remain unseen for a variety of reasons, the majority of which are related to Sam’s Mom. Even though she told me (paraphrased) that now that I’m 20 years old, I can do anything I want and she is powerless to stop me, I still think that posting the remaining pictures is imprudent.

MORAL OF THE ENTRY: Don’t just jump into the river because everybody else is doing it.

7 responses to “I jumped into the river”

1. Ariadne says:

I love your Radiohead allusion. Beautiful pictures!

the picture comments are funny

3. the keri says:

As Ariadne said, the allusion to Radiohead’s pretty awesome.

Oooh, surfing in a river. It sounds so contradictory, but the pictures are just so cool!

4. JKim says:

Radiohead! <3333333 and I’m so jealous; that looks like mad fun. All the rivers I’ve seen this summer you can’t surf in :( Actually, you probably wouldn’t even want to swim in them. bad times.

5. faye says:

Oooh, that looks like fun.

6. Asya says:

the pictures are excellent, and the commentary is entertaining. and yes, thanks for the Radiohead tribute.

7. Colin says:

RADIOHEADDDDDDDDD.

(Cool entry, too. But you know. Radiohead overshadows all, especially mentions of their best works, like “Pyramid Song.”)