MIT student blogger Lulu L. '09

Inherent Asymmetry by Lulu L. '09

Around.

I’m not going to grad school next year, but I am taking the GRE’s in physics this saturday. Few things I’m doing to prepare for it: sleeping < 3 hours last night to drastically shift my sleep schedule into alignment with the 8:30am start time of the exam. And, of course, relearning all the physics I learned freshman/sophomore year, starting a week ago. From what I hear, MIT students tend not to do as well on the exam as they should, considering their preparation. The physics GRE tests very shallow knowledge of a broad range of topics, it will be unlike any test you’ve taken at MIT (well, maybe those tricky PRS questions you get in TEAL). I know math is the same way. Don’t know about other subject tests. Anyways, since I’ve got plenty of time before I actually need to use this score, doing well on these GREs is more a matter of pride than anything else. Well, no not exactly, GREs cost $$$ and are a real pain in the neck, it’d be nice to call it quits after this.

In any case, last night, I picked a classroom in building 66, parked my butt down for 3 hours and took a full length exam. I got up to leave at about 3am, gathered my stuff, pretty tired and confused, turned around and saw this:

(Someone’s conclusion at the end of a lengthy economic analysis.)

…and everything was illuminated.

23 responses to “Inherent Asymmetry”

1. Arfa '13 says:

Best of luck! smile

2. hungry says:

i eat babies…and tacos!

3. Lin² says:

I look forward to econ class….?

4. lulu says:

lol I just noticed this, too. Ass-ymetry

Ha ha! Inspirational. You’re the best

6. you know a few days ago I went and read a ton of your back-entries (starting from your all-nighter one) and thought there’s a real sense of “symmetry” in them.

i enjoyed them a lot.

prefrosh: go read lulu’s old blogs and be enlightened. they’ll illuminate you more than babies and fathers who don’t stick around.

Yeah! Lulu… you’re back! My Goal for CPW is to get to meet as many bloggers as possible :D (Get ready for some stalking…. just jk!)

8. Narce says:

@Step

Not sarcasm, thanks very much for pointing that out so I don’t have to. Even though this post serves no purpose other than reiterating your point, so it’s the same as if I were to point it out anyway TT.TT

Few things I’m doing to prepare for it: sleeping Few things I’m doing to prepare for it: sleeping < 3 hours last night to drastically shift my sleep schedule into alignment with the 8:30am start time of the exam.

Hi Lulu..I am very curious, how many hours do you sleep on average per day?

10. Step says:

“Dad’s” doesn’t need the apostrophe.

(^.^)

11. Chris Praley says:

At first I though that your “At first I though that your “<3” hours meant the heart thing that all of the middle school girls use on Facebook. But i soon realized it was “less than three…”

12. Hiz says:

Lulu,
    how hard is it to go to Physics graduate school? What area of physics do you plan on studying later on? Why are you not going to graduate school next year.

13. lulu says:

if you have a GPA > 4 in physics at MIT, can score > 700 on your physics GREs, you got a pretty good shot at *some* grad school. Right now I’m leaning toward astrophysics, maybe cosmology.

huh, I guess I never talked in depth about why I didn’t apply to grad schools this year. I’ll get around to that.

It’s amazing Lulu you want to study physics at grad school. Like what!?!? On top of Cheerleading and Philosophy?!

If you had to sum up your MIT experience in 5 words, what would they be?

16. lulu says:

oh on average I sleep about 6-7 hours a night. :/

Wow! That’s fabulous!

18. lulu says:

probably should have been 8-B

no, I’m just kidding. raspberry

Guys. I miss JKim. Where is she? :—–