MIT staff blogger Latasha B.

QuestBridge 2017 FAQ by Latasha Boyd

You've got questions, I've got answers

This is a blog entry specifically for finalists in the QuestBridge National College Match. If you don’t know what this is, don’t worry! If you are a finalist – congratulations! We’re excited to have you applying to MIT through QuestBridge.

Here are some FAQs that QuestBridge applicants often have at this stage; please read through the FAQ to check if your question is here!

Q: What do I do next?

A: First, you should create a MyMIT account. Then you should complete the MIT application Part 1 (biographical form), and if you are applying for the Match, check off that you are applying Early Action. You do not need to complete the Part 2 (essays, activities, awards) – we will use your QuestBridge application for that. In the Part 1, when you come to the application fee, choose the fee waiver option. There is no need to follow up by mailing a fee waiver to us.

Q: I am taking my tests in November or December. Am I still eligible for the Match?

A: If you have not completed all the testing requirements by the October test dates, you will not qualify for the Match. If you have not completed your testing by October, do not worry; you do not have to remove MIT from your rank list because if you do not match with any school on December 1st, we will simply email you instructions with how to roll over into our Early Action process. We will accept up to November test scores for Early Action, and up to December test scores for Regular Action.

Q: If I will not have a full set of tests by the October testing date, what happens? Should I unrank MIT or withdraw my application?

A: If your application is incomplete, we will not be able to match you. However, we would be able to consider you during Early Action (just a few weeks later) if your application is complete by then and you did not match. We can consider you for Regular Action as well, as long as your application is complete and you did not match to a binding school. If you take MIT off your rank list or withdraw your application, your application cannot be considered for Early Action.

Q: I am an international student. Which tests should I take?

A: You have the option to take the SAT, ACT, or TOEFL for your first test requirement. We recommend the TOEFL if you have been speaking English for less than 5 years. You will also have to take the SAT Subject Tests in Math and Science.

Q: Should I rush report my scores to get them to you in time?

A: If you did not select your scores to be directly sent to MIT, and are worried they will not get here in time, we will accept an unofficial score report faxed or mailed in the meantime. You can mail it to MIT Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center, P.O. Box 404, Randolph, MA 02368. Make sure your full name and date of birth are included, as well as the word “QuestBridge.” Faxes can be sent to (617) 687-9184.

Q: Where do I send my high school transcript or updates?

A: Your school counselor can send it via Naviance/Parchment/ApplyWithUs, mail it to MIT Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center, P.O. Box 404, Randolph, MA 02368 or fax it to 617-687-9184. Make sure your full name and date of birth are included, as well as the word “QuestBridge.” Once you submit your Part 1, you will have access to application tracking, so you can see when we receive your transcript.

Q: Can I add MIT supplements (portfolios, recommendations, etc.) to my QuestBridge application?

A: Yes. Follow the MyMIT instructions for the supplement you’d like to add. Note your full name and “QuestBridge” on the cover sheet if you are mailing it in. The deadline for the supplements is also November 1 if you applying through the Match or EA.

Q: Where do I send my financial documents? 

A: Submit them to the College Board’s IDOC service. Please see full QuestBridge financial aid instructions here.

Q: How do I schedule an interview?

A: You can find your interviewer’s information by logging in to your MyMIT account. If you have not yet contacted your interviewer, do note that the deadline to schedule interviews is October 20th. While we cannot guarantee that interviewers will be able to accommodate you, some will accept late interviews on a case-by-case basis. When contacting your interviewer, please identify yourself in your message as a QuestBridge Finalist applicant.Please be patient when trying to get in touch with them, as it may take them several days to respond to your request. If, after several days, you are unable to reach your interviewer, please contact interview at mit dot edu for assistance.

Q: Do I have to wait until I have all my materials in before contacting my interviewer?

A: You do not have to wait until the rest of your application components are in before you contact your interviewer.

Q: I’ve already done an interview, but the interview is not checked off on the MyMIT tracking system. What should I do?

A: If your interview happened two or more weeks ago AND you have submitted Part 1 of the application, log in to your MyMIT account and click on “Online Application Tracking” in the left sidebar. Scroll down to interview and fill out the “Conducted Interview Form”. This form tells us that you have conducted the interview and we know to expect a report from your interviewer. You will not be penalized if there is not a report in your account by November 1st.

Q: How can I track my submitted documents?

A: Once you submit Part 1 of the application, an MIT tracking page becomes available in your account.

Q: Why hasn’t my QuestBridge application shown up on my MyMIT tracking page?

A: Colleges only just received your application. It will take approximately one week to process your application; your MyMIT tracking page should be updated by early next week. (You may see your tracking page show Part 1 and Part 2 as complete because your QuestBridge application is being used in place of Part 2 of the MIT application).

Q: If I’m not matched, can I still apply to MIT for Early and/or Regular Action?

A: On December 1st, QuestBridge will announce the results of the National College Match. If you are not matched with any school, we will send you an email asking whether you would like to be considered for MIT’s Early Action and/or Regular Action processes (or neither). Please look out for this message and respond to it quickly, so we know what to do with your application. See the QuestBridge FAQ for more info.

Q: Can I still apply to MIT if I match to a non-binding school?

A: Yes, you can apply to MIT during our Regular Action process.

Q: Should I start filling out the MIT application?

A: Yes, you should complete Part 1 of the application. Your QuestBridge app will be uploaded as Part 2 once Part 1 has been submitted.

Q: I’ve started Part 2 of the MIT application, should I finish it?

A: No, you should not complete Part 2.

We know this is a short span for you to complete your MIT requirements for QuestBridge, but don’t panic! If you don’t see materials you submitted showing in your portal, please note that processing time for documents is 1-2 weeks at this time of year. As long as you submit your documents by November 1st, you should be fine.

Any questions not answered above? Ask below!