MIT student blogger Laura N. '09

REX Sneak Peek by Laura N. '09

A teeny tiny sneak preview of BC REX. I mean really. It's basically useless.

Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, all the way from Madrid, Spain, I bring you: a totally useless sneak peak of Orientation.

This is what my desk looked like as I planned out BC’s REX schedule. It’s going to ROCK. I hope you are prepared. =)

Also, I found this article today, and can I just say: SO THERE.
Study Shows Boys and Girls Equal in Math Ability

I’m so mature, I know.

Anyway, I’ve got to run, Alicia, the director of MIT-Spain is in Madrid, and all of the interns are meeting for dinner, so she can check up on us and hear our stories about our time here.

19 responses to “REX Sneak Peek”

1. First!!

Is the Google Calendar Rex schedule going to be updated or is that only for last year?

2. Omar says:

I can’t wait to go to your REX events. Make sure there’s a whole lot of ice cream…purty please smile

3. Shari '12 says:

Anything that has to do with REX is definately NOT useless and I agree with Omar please let there be ice cream…or free food period! :]

4. Ty'12 says:

I third the suggestion for FREE ICE CREAM(!!!) and free food in general =P

Also, the Class of 2012 guestbook doesn’t work anymore!!

5. Vivi '12 says:

Oh goodness. Just when I thought I could hold back my totally-threatening-to-explode excitement, you had to make me once again absurdly impatient for orientation x_x

Ty – Orientation is like CPW. If you’re paying for food, you’re doing it wrong =).

7. Dima '12 says:

@Ty, it’s been unaccessible for a few weeks now. I think they removed it off our accounts. Shame.

And YAY for REX! For those of us temped elsewhere, maybe you can arrange for a transatlantic mega long blog entry about REX activities in the other dorms…because the REX website is…well, out of order, and frankly we’re all waaaaayyyy too excited to contain ourselves till orientation. Please? raspberry

8. Jeremy '12 says:

It’s hard to believe you’ll be back over here soon. It seems like you’ve been in Spain forever!

9. Mgccl says:

@Laura
    Correct.
    Researchers find another reason to get more grants from NSF to study it even further.

10. Matt F '12 says:

*foams at the mouth*

please, let there be free ice cream!

and a dance party!

a free ice cream dance party!

11. Connie '12 says:

There was a study a while back that tested male and female math abilities with free response questions. I don’t remember the specifics of it but I think that it concluded that overall, boys and girls had the same math abilities, but it depends on how the problems are phrased. On problems that involve “girly” things (e.g. purses), girls scored higher and on problems that involve “boy-ish” things (e.g. trucks), boys scored higher. The two sets of problems were exactly the same except that one set used purses and the other uses trucks. I guess it all depends on the person’s familiarity with subject matter.

I actually knew a guy who was like, “Guys are just smarter than girls in math, just like guys have more upper-body strength than girls.”

*rolls eyes*

Math: everyone can do it.

13. Mgccl says:

I found that girl math skill = boys math skill study strongly biased due to it never surveyed complex problem solving skills but only compared standardized tests and classroom grades, which test mechanical manipulation of simple concepts instead of the kind of math skills G. H. Hardy praises.

It’s likely they did it because:
    1. Political correctness
    2. Too ignorant to know what exactly is math skills
    3. or they believe the mass population is too ignorant to know what exactly is math skills

So, there, some other social study postdoc can get another set of funding from National Science Foundation to do this again until more political correctness is achieved.

The article doesn’t say they didn’t study complex math skills, it just says they were disturbed by how hard it was to find data for it:

“Again, the effort uncovered little difference, as did a comparison of how well boys and girls did on questions requiring complex problem solving. What the researchers did find, though, was a disturbing lack of questions that tested this ability. In fact, they found none whatsoever on the state assessments for NCLB, requiring them to turn to another data source for that part of the study.”

15. Mgccl says:

@Connie
    It’s more likely a study for “converting real life objects into an really easy arithmetic problem.”

16. donaldGuy says:

So yea, I totally tried to blow this picture up and read the notes or computer, but alas, the resolution is not large enough and my computer is not magic like those in movie/TV.

Well played, mam, well payed

~Donald

yay Orientation!

Yes, let there be ice cream. Lots of it. smile

I’m definitely living in iHouse but I can come for BC REX right?

18. Kim says: