MIT student blogger Mollie B. '06

Senioritis by Mollie B. '06

We'd fight for a cure if we weren't so lazy.

I’m not going to lie; being a senior pretty much rocks. I’m only taking three classes this term, and the grade in all of them is based almost entirely on tests… so basically I have three tests, a pset, and possibly a paper between me and graduation. Not to mention that my grad school only cares that I actually graduate, and is completely uninterested in the actual grades I get this term. (I wish I could be all badass and be like “I’m getting straight D’s, baby!” because wouldn’t it be cool to not care at all for one time in my life? In reality, I may very well get my first 5.0 at MIT, because I’m not as good at slacking off as I try to pretend I am. I give up.)

Since I don’t have that much schoolwork, I’ve had crazy amounts of free time recently. Not that I’ve really done anything earth-shattering with them.

Some things I have done recently
Go shopping. Adam and I went to the Cambridgeside Galleria on Friday. I wanted to buy towels and bedsheets for our new apartment. Adam wanted to buy Brain Age for his Nintendo DS. He won; we bought the game, but didn’t find any suitable (read: cheap) towels. I have nonetheless been kicking his ass in the game, so maybe he didn’t win in the end.

Get furniture. MIT dorm rooms come furnished with beds, mattresses, desks, and shelving, so I’ve never had to own furniture before. But Adam and I are moving to Westgate at the end of the month, and suddenly we have to buy things like a bed and a mattress and a microwave. Furniture is expensive!

Get fit. Cheerleading practice is over for the year (and, I mean, forever for me), so I figure I have to start some sort of exercise routine and stick with it before it becomes summer and I laze out on the couch and eat potato chips in the air conditioning. All you warm-climate kids are probably like “oh my lord, Boston is freezing” and to that I say, as a public service announcement: not in the summer it’s not. And every year I wait until like June 1 to start my exercise program, and I quit around June 15 because it’s too hotttttt and I’m too lazyyyyyy. But since I am no longer going to be a college athlete, I think I’d better start exercising now or I’ll gain the First Year of Graduate School Fifteen. (I gained the Freshman Negative Five when I came to MIT. Join a club sport! It’s good for you!)

Watch absurd amounts of TV. Jomar ’06 bought the first season of Lost recently, and basically our entire entry watched the whole season on Saturday and Sunday. And then Adam and I downloaded all of season 2 from iTunes. And before that, we read most of the episode recaps from Television Without Pity. I’m officially addicted, but on the upside, so is everybody with whom I live.

Not do so hot in lab. I went in today to image some neurons I prepared last week on the lab’s worth-more-than-my-life confocal microscope, and they looked like crap. I cannot even tell you how mad that makes me, especially since I would really like to get my project finished up before I graduate and leave the lab. So I came home and made meatcubes and garlic bread and spaghetti, because even if my neurons suck, my cooking is awesome.

Some public service announcements
These are just some things I’ve heard people asking here and there. If you have any other questions, as always, please feel free to ask.

Does it cost extra to stay in the dorms over IAP? Do the dorms close for winter and spring breaks?
No, IAP tuition and housing is included in your payment for the entire year. It doesn’t cost anything extra to stay on campus for the month of January, except for what you consume in food, I guess. The dorms don’t close for winter or spring breaks; if you so desired, you could stay in the dorm from the end of August to the end of May and never move a muscle. It does cost extra money to stay in the dorms over the summer.

Where does one buy MIT textboooks?
The Coop definitely sells textbooks, but they mostly sell said textbooks at a much higher price than other vendors. However, sneaky persons that they are, they don’t release the names/ISBNs of books needed for class anywhere but at the Coop itself. (Smart, eh?)

What I usually do is go to the Coop, write down the ISBNs of the books I need for classes, then use a book search engine like this one to see how the prices online + shipping compare to the Coop’s prices. If I know someone who’s taken one of my classes, I’ll go see if they want to sell the book too. (There used to be a website where MIT students bought and sold their used textbooks, but it closed down and like five sites replaced it. No one site has emerged as the clear leader in the MIT used book business.) Usually I end up ordering most of my books online and buying the ones with a negligible price difference from the Coop. Particularly for freshman classes, it’s useful to ask the sophomores/juniors around you if they still have their GIR books — most are happy to be rid of them for a few bucks.

Should I do an FPOP?
Yes. FPOPs are fun, and they’re a great way to meet some of your new classmates.

What’s the deal with the meal plan?
You or someone with money puts money into your TechCash account, which is linked from your MIT ID card. When you want to buy some food somewhere on or around campus, you get your card swiped and the amount is subtracted from your balance. You want food, you pay money. It’s kind of like real life. ;) You can add money at any time, so don’t worry too much about estimating the exact amount you’ll need per semester — if you pay too much fall semester, it will just stay in your account for use later.

When can I get my MIT email address?
Okay, I know you all want to get MIT Facebook accounts. Deep breaths. As Matt said recently: “You’ll receive everything you need for an email address in the Next Big Mailing, set to go out in a couple weeks.” In the meantime, you might start thinking about what you’d like your user ID to be (you get to pick) — keeping in mind that this email address will be seen by all your friends, professors, and future employers/grad school admissions committees. Many people at MIT get their nicknames from their usernames. Choose wisely!