MIT student blogger Lulu L. '09

This will default to miscellaneous by Lulu L. '09

Finishing this blog entry was my biggest accomplishment today

When the most stressful thing in your life is having repetitive conversations about your future, life is too easy and things become a big deal. Things like rearranging the plates and cups in our cabinet in an artistic way. Like watching 6 episodes of the magic school bus. Like exfoliating. Then I took a nap. After my nap I fixed a rip in my pants, hooked up some wires to a telephone jack, talked about knitting a hat but had no clue how to actually do it, and video chatted with my grandparents in China. Conversation (always) goes like this:

I haven’t visited China since I started college. I think I will go. This summer, after graduation. Graduation.

And there I go again, getting all queasy thinking about life after college, without the routine of classes and classmates and well-defined goals. Without the people and the place that have become a home for me. Well there’s no way around it. After a couple years of getting comfortable MIT gives you the boot in the butt and tells you to get lost. And then what do you do? “What are you going to do after school?” I don’t know, honestly. The prospect terrified me just last year, but with every incoming class, I can relate less and less and then I know it’s time for me to go. And I think the prospect terrifies me as much as it ever did, but now it feels right that next semester is my last. It’s a funny thing, one minute you think you’ll never be ready to leave and then suddenly you just can’t wait. You realize you’ve been preparing mentally for this day for four years.

So here it is, what became the biggest dilemma of my day: picking a yearbook photo.

I’ve narrowed it down to these, voted most popular among a sample of my friends/parents, arranged in order of smiley-ness.

#1: Are you looking at me?
#2: Everybody just calm down
#3: The one where my mom thinks my dimples look ugly
#4: Awkwaaaard…/I may or may not be in charge of my own destiny
#5: LOL. my gums are showing and I’m probably falling off this stool.

A more complete collection here. What do you think? Honestly, I probably have one in mind already and I just don’t know which. I like the more serious ones over the more LOL ones. Just ’cause I’m a very very serious person.

87 responses to “This will default to miscellaneous”

1. Charlotte says:

I second Cris. Leave the cheeriest memories on the yearbook.

2. Bethan says:

The fifth one. For the same reasons as Cris and Charlotte.

3. P'12 says:

#4 gets my vote (assuming you’ll take the democratic approach to selection)….best of luck to you!

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4~ !!!

4 is the prettiest!

4. in all the others you either look weird or fat.

7. lulu says:

^ lol wut

you sound like my mom

5!- coz after a few years you’ll think- “Oh crap, I should’ve smiled- y couldn’t I have smiled?!?! Was I that uptight?! And am I still like that?! oh god, now my therapist needs to teach me to smile!!”

Oops, sorry for the weird rant.

9. Katie '13 says:

I vote 4. You look friendly, happy, and likable without being intimidating in your happiness smile I think you look very pretty in all of them, though – choose based on the mood you’re trying to convey.

@anonymous 11:53 … what? Are we even looking at the same photos?

10. priyanka says:

tie between 4 and 5

last one’s great!
    and … nobody cares about your gums, and the rest are slightly awkward.

12. Rebeca says:

5 is my favorite!! But if you definitely want one of the more serious ones, go with 2. You look pretty, you’re kind of smiling, ( unlike 1) and 3 looks a little funny.

i like #4 and #1 !

I agree with Yan, #5!

15. Ahana says:

In #3 it looks like you’re just about to burst into laughter and/or the camera guy is constipated. I root for #5!

16. Cam says:

#4, your have a very pretty smile and it looks most natural there. The others don’t have enough of a smile, in my opinion, except for #5 which might be little too much.

You should’ve set up a php voting system or some such it seems haha.

I went through the same process choosing my yearbook picture a while back… I had my friends vote on a few out of 8 that I liked, and then chose a completely different one that none of them liked. So, good luck!

Also, in #3 I feel like you’re about to burst out laughing.

17. melissa says:

4 looks the best!

18. Fouad says:

Nr 4! Its the best one, you look just great there!

grin

19. Cris '13 says:

Last one. I tend to be a smiling person.
    Plus you look the prettiest there. Not to be a creeper or anything. I’m a straight female, I swear.

20. Stacy says:

I’m also getting kinda queasy about leaving high school even though it’s nowhere comparable to your final semester at MIT, and what you plan to do afterwards. What scares me the most is having to shift routines and realizing that this is the pivotal point of my life.

Of your photos, I like #2 and #3 the most.

#4. Although, if #4 was to be randomly swept up into a black hole, #5 would do just as fine. smile

22. lulu says:

^ the black hole created by the LHC?

I wish it would suck up some of these pictures, really would simplify things for me

23. Suril says:

In order: #4,3,5,1,2.

Yes, that’s it, perfect! :p

@ Lulu : Exactly. haha

#4. Definitely.

26. Mikey says:

omg magic school bus!! I love that show.

my ordered preference would be: 4, 5, 3, 1, 2. you actually kinda look like a spy in #1…like an international woman of mystery, haha.

27. Austin says:

im just too caught up in the irony of those prints having “do not copy” posted all over them. I figure if you’re going to stick it to the man, do it for the whole world right? wink

btw, #4

28. Ehsan says:

3rd is not too happy not too sad. Its perfect

You look just like my sister and she isnt Chinese…. 5 is the best one

#4, definitely! you look natural

#1 looks like you’re a bit mad.
    #2 looks like you’re smirking
    #3 looks like you’re about to compress a laugh
    #5 looks like you’re trying a little too hard

31. Tim says:

I always love your blogs!

4444444444444444!

4 is the bestest :3

34. lulu says:

i have a sneaking feeling some people are voting more than once

35. lulu says:

36. lulu says:

lol –

you can change your name but you can’t change your IP, 71.77.29.243!

too bad i actually can.

38. Suril says:

Oh oh.. someone playing with proxies! I always knew the online democracy wasn’t that fair. :p

39. Jamo G. says:

#4 in my opinion

and as much as i hate to admit to stereotypes, it seems a lot of the “typical asian family” stuff is true x.x

They say I look like my brother but if someone were to say I looked like my dad I would go o.o
    -J Go

40. lulu says:

the stereotypes may be true, but the stereotypes are awesome. :]

I like 4 and 2.

If I were you, I’d use 4.

Pick one of the first three in this entry. [They aren’t actually numbered…]

So cute!

2 or 4

tough one

44. mm says:

444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

Nooooo, five!!! You look gorgeous in five!

46. kayla '12 says:

4 for sure. 1 is my favorite but not for the yearbook.

47. Francesca says:

I prefer numbero dos y cuartro.
    Really, its like #2 is all yeah I did it, and #4 says that you have the perfect smile and your smart and that you’ll eventually conquer the world or China.
    Okay maybe not the last one but hey you still have the first two.
    You know if all else fails you can do eney, meeny, miny, moe!

2: I’m trying not to laugh at the guy tap dancing in the background.

At least that’s what it looks like to me.

I’d go with 4 or 5

49. Generic Bob says:

You said you are a serious person. Number three would be the best picture for you. It is professional, sober but yet has a hint of happiness that radiates from behind those high cheekbones. And your eyes are best accentuated by this picture because your face is more relaxed around the eyebrows than the last two pictures. Cheers.

50. Vaibhav says:

I was wondering what led to this entry getting 60+ comments…..looks like its a thing about public opinion – heck,what about me?
    Should be 3/4!
    3 – Just right I feel – not too ‘smiley’ not too serious (the trait of your charcater which can be told by the pic. you’ve got as your banner)

4 – Smiley – but in a good way……

Lulu, I think you need to go to China to find your birth certificate. Don’t pretend like you don’t have one.

LOL!!! (I hope you get this reference)

Also, 4 or 5.

52. lulu says:

lol how could i forget

seriously, most awkward thing ever raspberry

53. Helena says:

Number 4 looks the best!!
    Lulu>>> you do know how to speak Mandarin right?

definitely either 4 or 5

I think you should go with 4 or 1. They look the most natural and graceful. The others have a hint of strain in them.

56. Robyn says:

Ur dimples r fabulous…don listen 2 ur mama

57. Corey says:

Come visit http://coltonprovias.com/?page_id=426 and chat with all of us hopeful students..

58. s says:

2 is the cutest imo smile

In this order: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5

60. Janet says:

If I were you, I would choose 4 or 5. I think they make you look the prettiest, though your other photos are still pretty anyway. =)

Good luck with your last semester! Your blog entries are very entertaining, I always look forward to them.

61. damon says:

blogger.com, AndrewDamonMabraeth,

Hi, I am tryingt to get into MIT asap. I have so many patents; I’m confident I can get in; if I can get thru the paperwork… I found designing the new chip for Intel easier than filling out all the applications and financial aid….

sincerely,

damon dambrosia a la Andrew Damon Mabraeth

62. mit 09 says:

#4 looks most like you, methinks.

63. rachel says:

haha i loved the cartoon… i totally understand your situation.

i had an academically-related question. or questions. haha XD

you say that you came from china, right? how do you manage to write so well? haha XD do you read a lot?

secondly… how much time do you put into studying? and what’s your typical schedule like?

haha; i hope these are not too intrusive! thanks so much!!

64. dmitriy vi says:

it gotta be #4 smile

65. alva says:

Definitely 4! ^-^ I like 5 too but 4 is better for the yearbook…

66. lulu says:

wait a minute, lesbian torture?

that ain’t right