MIT student blogger Keri G. '10

Trans-Consciousness Messaging Protocol! by Keri G. '10

Of course I can't resist. Who do you think I am?!

For those of you who haven’t seen today’s xkcd comic, I’m putting it here, because it seems all too fitting for the state of our comment pages.

…what, you don’t think it applies?

(I do have a huge post coming up. This just isn’t it.)

26 responses to “Trans-Consciousness Messaging Protocol!”

Don’t you even dare, people.

2. Ying Wei says:

sometimes i am quite worried abt my application essays ( i am going to apply for Class 2012, yay ! ! )…
    is it ok to write in a plain way, juz to convey my thoughts , opinions and other stuffs without florid words? (as my writing skill is bad)

thanks~~

Ying Wei ( never have the chance to be the first post)

3. Reg says:

aww man.. i wanted to get first post for once! D:

Well, thanks for all the blogging, Keri. But really Keri…
    People who keep posting “First post” is annoying.
    People who prevent people posting “First post” just for the sake of it is…
    I guess my message went through.

BTW, I didn’t mean to sound rude.
    If I did, sorry.
    I like your blog entries…minus the literally pre-occupied first post.

6. anon.again says:

Great post. Thanks.
    How does it feel being back home (Florida?) after a year at MIT? Any adjustment issues — that you can discuss in a public forum, that is!?
    Any HASS option advice?

7. Freiddie says:

Nice humor! (referring to first post by Keri)
    I think I just learned a new comic site (that suits my character). Thanks.

8. Paul '11 says:

Haha, very nice Keri. Appropriate, too.

@ Ying Wei: The cardinal rule of MIT essays is to be yourself! Writing in a “plain way” is perfectly acceptable – florid words are hardly necessary (and will probably just sound pretentious). Just keep to the normal guidelines of writing essays…be organized, have a strong message, and keep it simple.

Good grammar/spelling are also pretty important, although you can (and probably should) use the first person. If you’re worried about getting the English correct, try asking your parents or teachers for help.

For more info, just browse around the site; this page may be helpful.

9. Hank R. says:

Hahaha. Doing first post was the first thing that popped into my head. Ah, trolling. Doing it for the lulz.

The essay should be as long as possible ,with due regard to sense ,of course.KIM

My essay was around 600 words. The limit isn’t strict, as long as you don’t go over, say, 800 words or something. I agree with Tung Shen, brevity is a virtue. It’s not like they wanna read a novel! Remember the admissions people have to read A LOT of essays every day for a couple of weeks, and they don’t want to read hundreds of 2000-word essays. Try to get to the point, they’ll appreciate it.

12. Omorx says:

Regarding admission essay, any penalty if one writes more than 500 words? I like to experesss myself to the fullest and 500 words would only go a quarter of the way.

13. There isn’t a penalty for going over 500 words per se – it’s probably alright to go over by a few dozen words, but 2000 sounds a bit (okay, a lot) too much. You could always try putting some of it in the optional essays. Don’t forget, brevity is a virtue!

14. As long as we’re on this subject, it couldn’t hurt to take a cue from Slashdot and implement a “Lameness Filter” of some sort. Automatic deletion of all those inadvertent double-posts would be nice too…
    Oh, and has anyone else noticed that the “Remember Me?” option does absolutely nothing, or is this just some absurd glitch that somehow follows me from computer to computer? grin

15. Nina says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Keri, you win.

16. I’m wondering.. does Dresden Codak have a following in MIT too?

17. Cam says:

*…counts…*
    NINETEENTH POST!

18. Kate says:

I have come to love xkcd — definitely one of the best webcomics I’ve found! I thought of the MIT admit page when I saw the “first post” strip. Ahh, how I, ahem, love the first posters.

19. Kate says:

Also, Greg…I have wondered about the “remember me” thing too. It doesn’t really seem to be very effective/serve any purpose.

20. Hanna '10 says:

Keri, your banner makes your lips look enormous. Just a thought.

That’s because they ARE, Hanna, as you well know.

22. yxl says:

thanx for you bloggers
    I find that your college life are more substantial(充实的)than mine
    I feel a bit jealous !!!!

23. yxl says:

thanx for you bloggers
    I feel a bit jealous !!!!

24. yxl says:

thanx for you bloggers
    I feel a bit jealous !!!!