MIT student blogger Paul B. '11

We’re Linux! by Paul B. '11

"Aha, Linux beats paper!"

Congratulations to the future class of 2013! I’m looking forward to meeting you over the coming weeks through the blogs and, of course, CPW.

And now, here’s a cute little something to brighten your day.

Maybe I’m a little crazy, but isn’t that just too cute for words? :)

The video, Challenges at the Office, was produced by a alum friend of mine from SIPB, Waseem ’07. The video’s been entered in the Linux Foundation’s “We’re Linux” contest and it’s been doing quite well. If you liked the entry, I’d really appreciate it if you took a moment to vote for it online, but no big deal either way.

Any other Linux users out there, among the current students or the prefrosh? What distro do you use?

37 responses to “We’re Linux!”

1. Julio ('14?) says:

I liked the video smile. I tried to vote for it, but the link you provided sends me to an error 404. If you fix it I will surely vote :D.

PS: I want a doughnut =S

~Julio (’14?)

@Julio: Link fixed. smile

3. Julio ('14?) says:

Done. One more vote for your friend’s video. Hope he wins the trip to Tokyo smile

~Julio (’14?)

4. Chris Praley says:

I loved it. But now I’m in the mood for a doughnut. Dang you, Paul!

5. Merritt '13 says:

Nice video! Good luck to your friend.

I was a Debian user on my old laptop, but now I just run Ubuntu occasionally on my MBP through VMWare, and some open-source software (mainly Wireshark and GIMP) via macports. I’m just too much of a sucker for eye-candy to deal with X on a regular basis.

6. Vivian '12 says:

Debian sid user =) unstable’s the way to go.
    It also means your system breaks often. And then you have fun trying to fix it – it’s the only and best way to learn :D

7. !! says:

<3 Ubuntu

8. Kelsey '13 says:

Ubuntu on my main laptop. smile My older laptop has Fedora on it an the moment, but its OS changes pretty frequently.

9. Jola '14? says:

I voted wink great video.

Greetings from Poland wink

Except she pulls a doughnut out of a box CLEARLY labeled “munchkins.” Fail! =P

11. Sabayon is a great distro for those who want to use gentoo but dont have time to compile everything themselves!

Hahaha, that’s adorable. I’m planning to try Linux this summer after partitioning my hard drive. :D

13. JonTec '13 says:

Kubuntu 8.10! I simply love KDE–I think it has better integration.

But… I’m starting to get frustrated with *ubuntu for Ruby development… especially with gems and Rails: rubygems repository version is 1.2.0 while everyone else is at 1.3.1!

14. Caitlin Mehl says:

Linux Mint all the way!

It has a lot of spiffy features and the user interface is quite attractive (and minty fresh!)

15. Aditya says:

Mandriva! Mandriva ALL the way. I wanted to use Debian or Ubuntu but I chose Mandriva in the end because the name sounded cooler.

16. Ubuntu Studio FTW

I’ve been meaning to try the new Debian, but haven’t gotten along to it.

debian debian debian love love love

18. comboy says:

what was their mood while saying: you can be too
    eating doughnut or dental difficulties due to online non-linux dentistry services?

19. Kiran '13 says:

Fedora on laptop, Ubuntu on desktop.

20. Narce says:

I like Linux more than Windows (and don’t care about Macs at all), but since I don’t technically own a laptop right now, I must admit that there is no computer than uses Linux in my house ^.^”

There will be in May, though~

21. Use Ubuntu. I had a Fedora box back in high school, although I used Windows XP on my laptop more often. I’ve gotten better, though, and primarily use Ubuntu now. Occasionally I’ll use Windows if I want to game, but that doesn’t happen very often.

22. Also, I feel like “cheesy” better describes the video raspberry

Compelling reasons to “be Linux”, though wink

23. Justin says:

Yes just partitioned my hard drive a few weeks ago so I can run Linux ubuntu in addition to windows!

Lol, that’s adorable.

JUMPING JACKALOPE FTW!!!

Jaunty. Its JAUNTY.

She totally puts the donut in her mouth before the second game of Rock Paper Scissors. Then she gives him the half that was in her mouth. Idonno about this Linux thing.

27. Kam '13 says:

Kubuntu > Ubuntu !!
    There is a reason why more people use Windows than Mac–the “taskbar” needs to be on the botton by default.
    I am using Gutsy Gibbon and Hardy Heron.
    I couldn’t get the broadcom restricted drivers working in KDE4. Jaunty might work.

freebsd unix…?

29. catch me says:

I started using linux when i was 11 or so. Oh well, thanks for not admitting me ;]. MIT isn’t admitting hackers anymore.

30. Muz says:

Bah, I’m Windows Vista. I beat Linux raspberry

31. Josh '13 says:

Arch Linux running on my Thinkpad T30 and Debian Lenny on my server. The video is pretty cool too. smile

32. comboy says:

L scissors Linux
    is your car auto-shift or are you a sport driver
    V five
    R N 1 2 3 4 5

VVikipedia

Wow…I feel like that girl is my 5.12 TA

34. Musee says:

Arch Linux for me. I was reading the comments and saw nothing about Arch until the end, xD. Nice to see another Arch user I don’t know about raspberry FreeBSD is pretty awesome, too.

If only I had the time to work on my application, I would be prefrosh. x.x;

35. Claire says:

Hey, Paul i have a completely unrelated question(s). How did you get your research position in high school? What did you research?

36. Carlos '13 says:

Another Arch user here. Woohoo!

37. comboy says:

simple guide to linux

-go to mit.edu homepage
    -search linux go
    -first result
    -down there linux on laptops
    -you know the rest wink