MIT staff blogger Latasha B.

Why Apply? by Latasha Boyd

Putting your hat in the ring if you're not so sure

Hi blogosphere! I’ve wracked my brain wondering how to introduce myself to you. The ghosts of Uncle Labs and Beatriz have haunted me all weekend. I cannot hope to match their wit and experiences, but I am SO EXCITED to be talking to you “officially”. I’ve been unofficially answering your questions for the last 9 months as MITAdmin, but I am grateful to now be both the most newbie admissions counselor/blogger and the new Bea.

In my bio, I mentioned that MIT wasn’t on my radar when I was applying to colleges. Obviously, if you’re reading this blog, MIT is on your radar (or I’ve created the perfect search terms to draw you here or one of your MIT-loving friends shared this with you…*hint, hint* MIT-lovers). Since I’ve become a member of the MIT community, I’ve found the traditional nerdy pockets I love as well as some really cool programs/clubs/aspects of MIT that I don’t think many people know about and should. So, here’s my list:

1. Humanities matter. I’m expounding on this point from my bio as well. I used to think that if you wanted to have a variety of Humanities classes, that you would want to stay far away from MIT. But, the powers that be believed that engineers and scientists need to communicate their ideas well to people outside of their fields and instituted a Humanities requirement, in which you could take courses about social issues (Science of Race and Gender), writing, musical theater, or even if you’re all math or science, the history of your scientific subject or how science currently affects policy in Washington. You may know that Junot Diaz teaches creative writing here, but you could also be taking classes with Ta-Nehisi Coates from The Atlantic, here on an MLK Fellowship.

2. Dedicated athletic/non-academic time. When I was an undergrad, I wanted to continue playing soccer, but couldn’t because of my class schedule. MIT has a reserved block of time for athletics, gym classes, and other non-academic activities. I was reading in The Tech that the club sports had an amazing year and are another option if you want to be active.

3. Assassin’s guild. While I have yet to see them in action, their poster in the Infinite Corridor has intrigued me for years. It sounds like an awesome way to destress after p-sets. There are over 450 clubs to join that are sure to make MIT a little more like home, and if there isn’t, you can start a new club with four other people.

4. Size. I grew up in a town of about 2,000 people and the idea of going to a large school where no one knew me or my business was a little intimidating. Each dorm is its own community, but you also have a tight and supportive community of 4384 undergrad peers, which is the perfect mix of “You truly know me!” and “I recognize your face because we have the same class schedule and are late crossing Kresge oval together.”

5. Boston and Cambridge. I love the small city atmosphere where you have lots of options for things to do if you choose to leave campus, but there’s enough green that you can escape into the quiet or adventure in the great outdoors. My favorite place is near the Boston Women’s Memorial on Comm Ave. Maybe I’ll see you there!