Elizabeth C. '13
Oct 6 2017
Sep 25 2017
If you’re wanting to apply Early Action (EA) to MIT this year but were affected by recent hurricanes, earthquakes, or other natural disasters, know that our hearts go out to you from MIT Admissions. It’s understandable that there’s a lot on your mind right now, and the last thing we want is for college applications to add to that stress. We know that some of you are still dealing with damage to your homes and schools and power outages, so if you’re worried about making our deadlines (like the Nov. 1 EA deadline) because of these things, please take note of the following:
- Focus on taking care of yourself, your family, your community, and your safety. You will not be penalized in the application process because of delays caused by these events.
- We try to be as flexible as possible in these situations. When you’re able to do so, reach out to us at 617-253-3400 or email us at admissions [at] mit [dot] edu. We’ll have an Admissions officer available to talk to you and figure out... read the post »
Sep 14 2017
Posted in: Miscellaneous
I was going through some of the Admissions archives last week and watching old recruitment videos and HOO BOY, have times changed. (And hoo boy, have some things not changed...) Our first video that I know of was a silent film that was almost an hour long! An HOUR! What was it even like to have an attention span like that?
What video should we make next? ;)
Sep 7 2017
Posted in: Miscellaneous
A couple months ago, Petey posted the blogger application, and a few weeks ago, he, Selam, Yuliya, Allan (via phone from some very hip coffee shop in Seattle), and I gathered to select the bloggers who will join our Family of Bloogyness this year.
60 entered. 7 survived the The Blogger Reckoning.
It wasn’t really like that. We spent FOUR HOURS in our committee, after we’d each already examined every application on our own, painstakingly ensuring that our decision process was as thoughtful as possible, debating the implications of each choice, exploring hypothetical alternatives and permutations of our cohort, duking it out (I mean, as close to duking it out as is possible with Allan, the gentlest and most thoughtful soul I know)…It was just as deliberate and emotionally draining as a regular admissions decision committee and did I mention that we spent OVER FOUR STRAIGHT HOURS deliberating?? *dramatically clutches chest*
Anyway, without further ado, here they are!
The... read the post »
Aug 28 2017
- This year's prompts and some advice from Petey
- Advice for last year's prompts (which are the same as this year's) from our former Associate Director of Admissions
- http://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/show_dont_tell_the_college_ess ... read the post »