Almost Famous by Sam M. '07

You probably think this entry is about me.

DID YOU KNOW? “This Jesus Must Die” from Superstar really sounds a lot like “People Are Strange” by The Doors.

Hurry up, I think you only have until Mitra gets home to read this entry.

So today the first issue of The Tech since the marathon, so of course they decided to cover it, focusing on both the overall winners and the performances of MIT runners. Now, they could have used this picture on the front page…

yum.jpg

…which depicts Kyle ’08 and YiOu ’07 looking beautiful together as they finish together with an unbelievably fast time. However, they instead chose to use this one…

yum.jpg

…and although it’s a bit unflattering, I still think it’s ultimately better for society that they put a picture with me in it on the front page of The Tech. Because, really, if you’re going to run a marathon, you’re probably going to look more like me than YiOu at the end of it. And you should know that.

It also resulted in me getting this delightful e-mail from Dr. Jean-Francois Hamel, my 10.28 professor, who I secretly adore.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:28:07 -0400
From: Dr. Hamel
To: sm******@mit.edu
Subject: Wunderbar!

Hi Sam,

I saw your photo on the paper today. It is great you did the marathon.

-jfh

I love teacher-student interaction!

COMING SOON (maybe even this weekend!): a step-by-step recap of the marathon I ran, and a tour of Random Hall, where I don’t live, and an entry that is actually not self-aggrandizing

11 responses to “Almost Famous”

Don’t your glasses bounce up and down when you run? And doesn’t that annoy you (for 26.2 miles)?

2. Kristin R. says:

Hey, congrats (on finishing the marathon AND making the Tech cover)! I predict the bloggers will take over the world. Although that’s more of a psychic notion than an educated guess.

When I saw that picture on the front cover, I was on the Tech Shuttle, and I squealed out loud.

People looked at me strangely.

4. jkuo says:

my pictures are better :D

in the picture it looks like you are about to hit your chest with you hands. =D

6. Shannon says:

haha. Attractive, Sam.

you are nearly out of focus though wink it seems the tech is more interested in – is that mitra?

I listened to This Jesus Must Die and in general, they do sound kind of similar..

I am so proud of you guys, Sam. Running a marathon is amazing.

In other news… Superstar is the best thing Webber ever did.

Don’t you think that it is time for a new entry or an update?

Thanks for everything all of you said! You are all awesome! To answer a few anonymous questions:

Anonymous — My glasses do bounce up and down a little, but they’re pretty tight and I tend to wear them pretty high on my face. Also, I don’t wear contacts because I can’t stand the idea of putting anything that close to my eye.

Ben — Totally. Also, I hate hate hate HATE Phantom of the Opera.

anon — Yes. Yes it is. Unfortunately, it was also time for me to write a 40-page paper… but that’s finally behind me.