If you are seriously interested in MIT, you probably think math and science are serious fun. We offer this abbreviated list of some remarkable competitions, fairs, summer programs, organizations, and websites that will challenge your imagination and powers of analysis, connect you with other young people who dare to enjoy science and math, and help you prepare for the rigor and excitement of MIT.
MIT offers several selective residential summer programs for exceptional students.
We also offer MIT’s Educational Studies Program. ESP is an MIT student group that provides unique educational opportunities to junior high and high school students: everything from multiweek courses (HSSP) to a single day educational extravaganza (SPLASH) and more!
International Science Olympiads and qualifying competitions
Every year, secondary school students from around the world compete in international Olympiad competitions in math and science. Ultimately, each country fields a team of its top four-to-six students in each field. Here’s a list of the major Olympiads that the United States competes in, along with their qualifying competitions:
- International Biology Olympiad (IBO); qualify via the USABO
- International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO); qualify via the USNCO
- International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI); qualify via the USACO
- International Linguistics Olympiad (IOL); qualify via the NACLO
- International Math Olympiad (IMO); qualify via the AMC
- International Physics Olympiad (IPhO); qualify via the USPhO
Science & invention fairs/competitions
If you enjoy pure science research or the thrill of invention, you may want to set your sights on these fairs and competitions:
- Intel International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF)
- Intel Science Talent Search (STS)
- Google Global Science Fair
- Davidson Fellows
- Lemelson-MIT InvenTeams
- International Young Physicists’ Tournament
- Breakthrough Junior Challenge
Many budding engineers have gotten their start tinkering with robots. You may enjoy these robotics programs:
Sometimes you have an idea for something really cool that you just need to build. Looking for inspiration? Our students have found these places exciting:
Competitions by MIT students
Groups of talented MIT students frequently come together to put on special programs, including: